Coral Vue Hydros

Madcat's Fluval Evo 13.5 - new shrimpy

Madcat

1 minute ago, Lugmos12 said:

Wait, you have a copepod outbreak?

There are copepods in the tank, but it's the amphipods (slightly bigger) that are causing trouble. There's a LOT of them.

54 minutes ago, Madcat said:

There are copepods in the tank, but it's the amphipods (slightly bigger) that are causing trouble. There's a LOT of them.

F**k! okay, so I've seen these little shrimp-like things floating in the tank - about 4 of them total. I hope they're not amphipods. They look similar, now I'm worried :haha:

Look into wrasse of the genus Wemorella, they're a peaceful addition that would probably help with the pod issue. Also if you don't mind the possibility of a bit more attitude a small dottyback like a springeri might be a good addition as well. I would just be concerned about the bioload if you add another fish since your tank is still relatively new.

fishfreak0114

I'm pretty sure my GCG eats amphipods.  I had a great population in my chaeto in the back until the GCG ended up back there.   He lived off pods for 6 months until I finally caught him! 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Lugmos12 said:

F**k! okay, so I've seen these little shrimp-like things floating in the tank - about 4 of them total. I hope they're not amphipods. They look similar, now I'm worried :haha:

Mine are all over the sandbed usually, though I've seen them on the walls. Never seen them in the water column. Maybe you're seeing molts? - I know they shed their exoskeletons. Anyway, I wouldn't worry too much... apparently they're normally good scavengers and won't bother corals. It just seems like I have a huge population of assholes.

They've destroyed more of the zoa frag while I was at work and I had the tank light on the whole time. I can see them crawling ALL over the closed heads. They seem to be leaving my eagle eyes alone for now, though I'm worried that one of my paly heads is starting to look a bit ragged. Maybe I'm just paranoid... But I really don't know if there's hope for the zoa frag. I'm so mad!! I was so excited for those zoas! :(

1 hour ago, fishfreak0114 said:

I'm pretty sure my GCG eats amphipods.  I had a great population in my chaeto in the back until the GCG ended up back there.   He lived off pods for 6 months until I finally caught him! 

I've seen other people say that about GCGs... but no one has mentioned their yellow clown goby eating pods. I would love to go and get that little clown goby, but I really think I need a fish who'll come in guns blazing to save my zoas. :(

1 hour ago, jesseatam said:

Look into wrasse of the genus Wemorella, they're a peaceful addition that would probably help with the pod issue. Also if you don't mind the possibility of a bit more attitude a small dottyback like a springeri might be a good addition as well. I would just be concerned about the bioload if you add another fish since your tank is still relatively new.

Thanks. I'm gonna hunt around for a possum wrasse, I think. The tank seems stable - Puzzle was added almost a month ago (Aug 13). A possum wrasse sounds like exactly what I need. And they're so cute!

My one dumb reservation is that, well, I got my dream clownfish... but Jeff and a possum wrasse were not what I really wanted going into this, no offense to Jeff. I wanted a GBG or a citron goby or a blue and orange TSB. Oh well. I like my Jeff. There are no GBGs in Canada it seems, blue and orange TSBs are apparently super rare, and I've never even seen a citron goby at the stores around me, though Big Al's says they get them.

Don't mind me. I'm just whining. I want decorative macro in my tank and that means having a breeding ground for pods and I don't want rude zoa-eating pods so I need a fish who will eat them. And I need a fish I'll enjoy looking at and the possum wrasses are very cute. Fingers crossed I can find one before the zoas are completely destroyed.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Madcat said:

Mine are all over the sandbed usually, though I've seen them on the walls. Never seen them in the water column. Maybe you're seeing molts? - I know they shed their exoskeletons. Anyway, I wouldn't worry too much... apparently they're normally good scavengers and won't bother corals. It just seems like I have a huge population of assholes.

They've destroyed more of the zoa frag while I was at work and I had the tank light on the whole time. I can see them crawling ALL over the closed heads. They seem to be leaving my eagle eyes alone for now, though I'm worried that one of my paly heads is starting to look a bit ragged. Maybe I'm just paranoid... But I really don't know if there's hope for the zoa frag. I'm so mad!! I was so excited for those zoas! :(

I've seen other people say that about GCGs... but no one has mentioned their yellow clown goby eating pods. I would love to go and get that little clown goby, but I really think I need a fish who'll come in guns blazing to save my zoas. :(

Thanks. I'm gonna hunt around for a possum wrasse, I think. The tank seems stable - Puzzle was added almost a month ago (Aug 13). A possum wrasse sounds like exactly what I need. And they're so cute!

My one dumb reservation is that, well, I got my dream clownfish... but Jeff and a possum wrasse were not what I really wanted going into this, no offense to Jeff. I wanted a GBG or a citron goby or a blue and orange TSB. Oh well. I like my Jeff. There are no GBGs in Canada it seems, blue and orange TSBs are apparently super rare, and I've never even seen a citron goby at the stores around me, though Big Al's says they get them.

Don't mind me. I'm just whining. I want decorative macro in my tank and that means having a breeding ground for pods and I don't want rude zoa-eating pods so I need a fish who will eat them. And I need a fish I'll enjoy looking at and the possum wrasses are very cute. Fingers crossed I can find one before the zoas are completely destroyed.

I looked and looked for a GBG  but never found one...sooooooo annoyed!!!!

33 minutes ago, Melfy77 said:

I looked and looked for a GBG  but never found one...sooooooo annoyed!!!!

Are you in Canada? I really don't think they're available here... maybe it's a CITES thing.

I forgot to mention! Once the tank was moved, I was able to get into the third filter chamber to install the new pump (MJ900). It's... not great. I mean, it works, but it didn't knock my socks off. It's lowering the water level in the back chambers (only the back chambers) and creating an annoying trickling noise, but more annoying is that I don't think it's as strong as the stock pump was when it was brand new. Did I install it wrong? I basically took the main pump and connected it to the EVO tubing and output... maybe I should do a vinegar soak on the old EVO parts. The stock pump was just FULL of crap, no wonder its output was basically nothing. Maybe the tubing and output nozzles are clogged too.

Anyway, I don't think the current reaches more than halfway across the tank, and it's not a super long tank.

fishfreak0114

Until you get a fish, can you raise the zoas off the ground?  If you get a little shower caddy or soap dish at the dollar store and put it high up on the glass that may save them.  If you go that route, make sure to dip them before they go up high to make sure there are no pods on them.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            When I got my first corals (4 zoas and GSP) 3/4 zoas were eaten, and part of my GSP. It started with the zoas, so I moved my last frag to safety in the plastic shower caddy.  Nothing came off in the dip.  I figured whatever had been zoa munching was left down below to starve, but much to my dismay it started in on my GSP!  I dipped the GSP, and this weird pod came off.  I never did find out what kind it was.  There was only the one, but boy did it do a lot of damage!  And it seriously hurt my coral keeping confidence right off the bat.  I mean, more than half of my first corals died really quick!

Other than that, I can't think of anything to help you.  I've never seen a PSW in real life, I'm not sure how easy they are to get up here.

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

Until you get a fish, can you raise the zoas off the ground?  If you get a little shower caddy or soap dish at the dollar store and put it high up on the glass that may save them.  If you go that route, make sure to dip them before they go up high to make sure there are no pods on them.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            When I got my first corals (4 zoas and GSP) 3/4 zoas were eaten, and part of my GSP. It started with the zoas, so I moved my last frag to safety in the plastic shower caddy.  Nothing came off in the dip.  I figured whatever had been zoa munching was left down below to starve, but much to my dismay it started in on my GSP!  I dipped the GSP, and this weird pod came off.  I never did find out what kind it was.  There was only the one, but boy did it do a lot of damage!  And it seriously hurt my coral keeping confidence right off the bat.  I mean, more than half of my first corals died really quick!

Other than that, I can't think of anything to help you.  I've never seen a PSW in real life, I'm not sure how easy they are to get up here.

Aw man, don't say that! What should I do if I can't find one?? (I see them on JL Aquatics' wrasse page, so they must be legal up here, but they don't have any currently. It'd be a hefty fee to buy and ship one anyway - though I'm pretty desperate...)

I used a turkey baster to blow off all the pods I could see and then put the frag rock up on my main rockwork. I didn't think to dip it again - though to be honest, the dip didn't seem to dissuade the pods all that much. Anyway, I think being up on the rocks is my eagle eyes' only saving grace, so hopefully my new zoas are safe up there for now. :'( I'll try a soap dish if it comes to it. Thanks for the suggestion!

Some good news: I was worried that all the corals still seemed unhappy after the move, but when I got home today everyone (aside from the obvious exceptions, and the new acan which is having mood swings) looked super fluffy and happy. Also, Jeff ate a whole bunch of flakes! Almost everything I squirted at him, except for what Puzzle swooped in and stole. :lol: Now he has a nice fat tummy! Good Jeff!

• Like 2
fishfreak0114
5 minutes ago, Madcat said:

Aw man, don't say that! What should I do if I can't find one?? (I see them on JL Aquatics' wrasse page, so they must be legal up here, but they don't have any currently. It'd be a hefty fee to buy and ship one anyway - though I'm pretty desperate...)

I used a turkey baster to blow off all the pods I could see and then put the frag rock up on my main rockwork. I didn't think to dip it again - though to be honest, the dip didn't seem to dissuade the pods all that much. Anyway, I think being up on the rocks is my eagle eyes' only saving grace, so hopefully my new zoas are safe up there for now. :'( I'll try a soap dish if it comes to it. Thanks for the suggestion!

Some good news: I was worried that all the corals still seemed unhappy after the move, but when I got home today everyone (aside from the obvious exceptions, and the new acan which is having mood swings) looked super fluffy and happy. Also, Jeff ate a whole bunch of flakes! Almost everything I squirted at him, except for what Puzzle swooped in and stole. :lol: Now he has a nice fat tummy! Good Jeff!

I have seen them in stock on J&L's fish list at least once before, but they've never been there when I've gone (which isn't saying much, I've gone 4 times in 3 years lol).

What kind of dip did you use?  Did you try to baste them off while dipping?

I always smile to myself when you mention Jeff, this is usually what pops into my head :lol:

Image result for finding dory gerald

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
3 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

I have seen them in stock on J&L's fish list at least once before, but they've never been there when I've gone (which isn't saying much, I've gone 4 times in 3 years lol).

What kind of dip did you use?  Did you try to baste them off while dipping?

I always smile to myself when you mention Jeff, this is usually what pops into my head :lol:

Image result for finding dory gerald

:lol: Never in my life... have I seen such an accurate depiction of one of my animals... Jesus Christ :lol: It's literally Jeff in sea lion form. Holy crap. That made my day.

Anyway... :lol: I used Coral Revive and I basted the heck out of 'em. A whole bunch came off. But there were a bunch more on it when I got home from work.

• Like 1

Just got up and the zoas seem safer up on the rock. I can still see at least one pod crawling on them but there's not much more damage if any.

@fishfreak0114: For you, Jeff says good morning! He's flustered because I caught him in his "pyjamas". ...And he might be pooping in the second pic.

IMG_6522.JPG.282a020889208336f03c488bfcdf6e10.JPG

IMG_6526.JPG.6a0294d2b7a279afb4cfa0a359d4a5b6.JPG

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
17 hours ago, Lugmos12 said:

The floating shrimp like things are amphipod molts. I've seen some pretty large ones (mysis sized) floating around in my tank before. They are out all over the rocks and sand bed at night but leave the corals alone. I've seen my clowns picking at the rocks and sand bed  every now and then, and I think they are picking at little pods. I've also seen my RFA randomly eat stuff not at feeding time and have wondered if maybe a pod wandered into its reach and it got Sarlacc'd!

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Madcat said:

Just got up and the zoas seem safer up on the rock. I can still see at least one pod crawling on them but there's not much more damage if any.

@fishfreak0114: For you, Jeff says good morning! He's flustered because I caught him in his "pyjamas". ...And he might be pooping in the second pic.

IMG_6522.JPG.282a020889208336f03c488bfcdf6e10.JPG

IMG_6526.JPG.6a0294d2b7a279afb4cfa0a359d4a5b6.JPG

Thats a crazy looking tailspot blenny!

2 hours ago, TheBig053 said:

The floating shrimp like things are amphipod molts. I've seen some pretty large ones (mysis sized) floating around in my tank before. They are out all over the rocks and sand bed at night but leave the corals alone. I've seen my clowns picking at the rocks and sand bed  every now and then, and I think they are picking at little pods. I've also seen my RFA randomly eat stuff not at feeding time and have wondered if maybe a pod wandered into its reach and it got Sarlacc'd!

My RFA catches pods all the time as well. I actually witnessed one swim directly into it one time, was super cool to watch.

Pods of all kinds are quite lovely, and a sign of a well established tank.  Beneficial, to be certain.  Have no fear that they are disturbing your zoas, there may be something else going on...or nothing at all!  Sometimes they're finicky.  I had a few nudibranch's once that I suspected were troubling them, but I wasn't sure...the only way I was able to catch them was in the thick of night with a dim red headlamp.

I wouldn't stress about feedings, the fish will eat if they are hungry.  Feeding a new tank too much can lead to a crash from excess nutrients.

Hope that helps.  Just getting caught up with your thread here, looking great!

48 minutes ago, machinemind said:

Pods of all kinds are quite lovely, and a sign of a well established tank.  Beneficial, to be certain.  Have no fear that they are disturbing your zoas, there may be something else going on...or nothing at all!  Sometimes they're finicky.  I had a few nudibranch's once that I suspected were troubling them, but I wasn't sure...the only way I was able to catch them was in the thick of night with a dim red headlamp.

I wouldn't stress about feedings, the fish will eat if they are hungry.  Feeding a new tank too much can lead to a crash from excess nutrients.

Hope that helps.  Just getting caught up with your thread here, looking great!

Thanks! Unfortunately I know it's the pods, I'm literally watching them eat my zoas. Otherwise I'd be happy to leave them alone.

Jeff seems to be a picky eater, but he poops a LOT, so I've never been terribly concerned about him. :lol:

What you're seeing is more than likely some sort of sea spider and not an amphipod or copepod. I see them all the time coming in on newly collected zooanthids, a Possum wrasse or 6 line wrasse will deal them a death blow. My runs are larger and Stripey the Hoeven's wrasse thinks their the best thing since poutine. I had to use a Canadianism instead of an Americanism there. ;) You could also try a Springer's damsel, they're not your typical damsel and they love all thing that eat or favourite corals and zooanthids.

Don't fret on getting a Scooter, you need mysis and they'll make the switch. People don't try enough with them, ours eat all sorts of stuff, mysis, pods and NLS pellets as well as black worms.  Start working on switching them over BEFORE they decimate the pod population. Our come up to the auto feeder and wait for the pellets now, lol. They're pretty smart little critters.

• Like 2

I mean, it's possible they're not pods. I assume they are because they're teeny and grey and have legs and look like pods. I'll look up sea spiders.

I think a possum wrasse is probably the best fit for my tank. I called 5 stores and no one has one. Several will be getting six-lines by Friday. NAFB is the only store that expects to have them in (next Sun), doesn't sound like anyone else even carries them. That'll give me a week to cement my battle plan, and hopefully I can find a soap dish to put my poor frag on. I'm quite excited for a wrasse now! I'm especially excited for KILLING THE PODS though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Possum wrasses aren't easy to come by, they're not very common and there are usually only a few available each week out of The Philippines. I only get them 1-2 times a month and I order them every week. They are a very nice small wrasse, much better than a 6 Line is, more mild tempered.

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

Possum wrasses aren't easy to come by, they're not very common and there are usually only a few available each week out of The Philippines. I only get them 1-2 times a month and I order them every week. They are a very nice small wrasse, much better than a 6 Line is, more mild tempered.

In that case I guess I'm lucky NAFB is expecting them so soon! Hopefully they do actually get some in.

Jeff and Snail: the silent guardians, the watchful protectors...

IMG_6537.JPG.597c22130e3a36b5cbec0c17811b3ff6.JPG

The zoas certainly seem safer up on the rock so I'll see how they do for now. One of my paly heads definitely looks a bit ragged, but I don't see any critters on it. I'll keep an eye on it. (They're ugly poop brown palys, but they're MY ugly poop brown palys.) Really hope I can get a possum before they find their way to my beloved eagle eyes.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It's 3am. Just got home from babysitting nephews. Peeked at tank. Critters ALL over the zoa frag.

I gotta move it up high somehow. After sleep.

Also this thing on glass.

IMG_6573.JPG.9a361c1057e7c0bf747256cb8b5ffc99.JPG

Why. :mellow:

• Wow 3
  • Madcat changed the title to Madcat's Fluval Evo 13.5 - new shrimpy