Innovative Marine Aquariums

Madcat's Fluval Evo 13.5 - new shrimpy

Madcat

No snail goo today. I can see both their snoots sticking out of the sand, but I know one of them hasn't moved since yesterday. Should I be worried? I'm a nervous first-time snail mom. :( That one crab still hasn't moved off his rock ledge either. Only Claudette the other crab is regularly active.

59 minutes ago, Madcat said:

No snail goo today. I can see both their snoots sticking out of the sand, but I know one of them hasn't moved since yesterday. Should I be worried? I'm a nervous first-time snail mom. :( That one crab still hasn't moved off his rock ledge either. Only Claudette the other crab is regularly active.

I think if they die, the others will be feasting on them lol. :blink:

1 hour ago, Madcat said:

i don't see my nassarius moving that often too. i wouldn't worry about it much tbh

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

I think if they die, the others will be feasting on them lol. :blink:

At least Claudette will. Everyone else in the tank is a slacker!!

I worry I don't have enough food in the tank for them (though I dropped a few pellets in yesterday), but Claudette seems to find PLENTY when she's on the live rock piece. And it seems (based on the goo) that someone joined her up there the other night for a snack. I'd just feel better if I could see everyone eating.

Especially the other hermit. $12 I paid for you! *shakes fist*

I've been running the lights periodically and it seems they do hike the temp a bit, but otherwise I've been able to keep it steady at 80.2. I still don't like the lack of control and I can't run the fan all the time or it drops the temp too low. So I have an Inkbird temp controller coming on Monday. It has two "relays" so I can connect both heater and fan. I really hope it's straightforward to set up. I am not a technologically inclined person.

Only other update is that I learned a coworker of mine has a reef tank and she's willing to donate some frags to my tank! She has a couple acans, a torch, zoas, and a skinny neglected trumpet she's hoping I can revive. Very excited! (She also showed me the 3ft long bristleworm she pulled out of her rock... I need some coral dip...)

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Lugmos12 said:

do you have a link to the fan?

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/home-collections-desk-fan-with-clip-black-6-in-0435498p.html I got it from a Canadian hardware store. You get the idea though.

8 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

My tank usually runs 81-82 year-round, so I think you're alright. 

Cool. What freaked me out and convinced me to buy the temp controller was that the tank almost hit 83 yesterday when it had stayed 80.2 all the previous day. I started the fan right away and then I had to keep checking it to make sure it didn't bring the temp too low - when I tested it while the tank was still empty, it got to almost 76 before I switched it off. The tank's been 80.2 again all day except for creeping up a degree while I ran the lights (about 5-6 hours). I think it was just due to yesterday being sick hot and not having the AC on during the middle of the day, but it's only July after all, and I can't always be monitoring the fan if I want to lower the temp. I'm hoping the temp controller will bring peace of mind. Your comment does reassure me; maybe I'll set the temp control to 80 after all, so it only has to kick in as a failsafe and can just let the tank do its own thing otherwise.

• Like 1

Tried to go to the fish store today, but after 20 min of sitting in gridlock traffic I bailed on that idea. So, no corals yet.

Still no movement from anyone but Claudette. I stole a couple algae wafers from work today and dropped one in the tank just now. The snail snoots started wiggling like crazy and they both emerged within a couple minutes! Happy snails:

5975236956437_FullSizeRender(18).thumb.jpg.3b85c4a06a6792535c7b47c60a40337f.jpg

The other crab still hasn't left his rock ledge. I can see his legs and sometimes eyes peeking out. Should I move him?

• Like 2

I wouldn't move the hermit unless it flips over and has trouble righting itself. My blue leg sometimes stays in a spot for a few days, usually means he's going to molt or just did. Also, those are nassarius snails right? If so they're carnivorous so you're going to want to feed meaty foods or a good pellet if you plan on spot feeding them.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, jesseatam said:

I wouldn't move the hermit unless it flips over and has trouble righting itself. My blue leg sometimes stays in a spot for a few days, usually means he's going to molt or just did. Also, those are nassarius snails right? If so they're carnivorous so you're going to want to feed meaty foods or a good pellet if you plan on spot feeding them.

Oooh, okay. I did drop in some pellets the other day but I can still see at least one so wasn't sure if they were interested.

23 hours ago, Madcat said:

At least Claudette will. Everyone else in the tank is a slacker!!

I worry I don't have enough food in the tank for them (though I dropped a few pellets in yesterday), but Claudette seems to find PLENTY when she's on the live rock piece. And it seems (based on the goo) that someone joined her up there the other night for a snack. I'd just feel better if I could see everyone eating.

Especially the other hermit. $12 I paid for you! *shakes fist*

I've been running the lights periodically and it seems they do hike the temp a bit, but otherwise I've been able to keep it steady at 80.2. I still don't like the lack of control and I can't run the fan all the time or it drops the temp too low. So I have an Inkbird temp controller coming on Monday. It has two "relays" so I can connect both heater and fan. I really hope it's straightforward to set up. I am not a technologically inclined person.

Only other update is that I learned a coworker of mine has a reef tank and she's willing to donate some frags to my tank! She has a couple acans, a torch, zoas, and a skinny neglected trumpet she's hoping I can revive. Very excited! (She also showed me the 3ft long bristleworm she pulled out of her rock... I need some coral dip...)

Wow, what kinda hermit cost $12?!  A Halloween hermit?

12 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Wow, what kinda hermit cost $12?!  A Halloween hermit?

A scarlet reef crab, in Canada. >< I couldn't believe it either. If he dies I'll be pissed, lol.

fishfreak0114

Wow that's pricey!  I usually see them for 6 or 7 dollars in Vancouver, but I know a place two hours from me where I can get them for $3.  I was thinking Halloween hermit too, that's what I paid for mine.

11 hours ago, Madcat said:

A scarlet reef crab, in Canada. >< I couldn't believe it either. If he dies I'll be pissed, lol.

If he dies, better make a mold of his body outta solid gold since he's apparently that valuable! :lol:

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

If he dies, better make a mold of his body outta solid gold since he's apparently that valuable! :lol:

Seriously. :lol: Well, Claudette's useless friend (Edouard?) has decided to be less useless and has started thinking about joining her on the live rock. At least he's not dead!

So, this is the temp controller I bought which arrived today: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00OXPE8U6?psc=1

I have NO IDEA how to set it up. The instructions are essentially useless. So I hit Google to try and find some advice, and not only did I NOT find anything helpful, I came across this: https://www.amazon.ca/Inkbird-ITC-308-Temperature-Controller-Thermostat/dp/B011296704 ...Which looks a LOT more like what I pictured, though is twice as expensive. Did I buy the wrong thing?? :tears:

• Like 1

Finally got around to plugging up the hole in the second filter chamber with some epoxy. I read that I'd see a huge difference, but I haven't noticed any difference at all. Bummer. I'm gonna have to start thinking about upgrading the pump, I think. There's barely any water movement in the second and third chambers, even though the return pump is always going strong.

Still totally flummoxed by the temp controller. Wondering if I should return it and order the other one, or order a smart fan. Thoughts?

Yesterday was surprisingly cool, so I left a window open and the tank ended up at 78.6. That's about 4* it's been fluctuating the past few days. The critters don't seem to mind, but I'd prefer the tank be as stable as possible. I don't expect I'll have problems in winter since the room gets pretty cool, so the heater can take over, but then I'll have peace of mind in case the heater glitches. Someone in a local FB group just had their whole tank get fried... Anyway, I'm returning the weird temp controller and ordering the proper one. All this spending, before I even have fish or corals in the tank, is a bit discouraging, but I think this one is a worthy investment in the long run.

fishfreak0114

I definitely think a heater controller is good failsafe to have.  I felt alright for the first year and half, but now that my heater is going on two and half years I don't trust it.  

• Like 1

Good call on exchanging the temp controller, I've never seen the weird one you got before lol.  It is definitely worth it to have quality equipment, it will make life much easier in the long run.

5 minutes ago, TinyOcean said:

Yay another Evo member and a fellow Canadian too! Love the pic of your snails with their snoots haha. Soooo cute!

:lol: They are cute! I love when all I can see is the snoots sticking out of the sand and I start fiddling with something and they start wiggling. They're so curious.

The Canucks are taking over! Whereabouts in Ontario are you? I've been following your tank thread, btw - Norbert is gorgeous. :wub:

• Like 1
  • Madcat changed the title to Madcat's Fluval Evo 13.5 - new shrimpy