Jump to content
Madcat

Madcat's Fluval Evo 13.5 - new fish store pics

Recommended Posts

Lula_Mae   
5 hours ago, Melfy77 said:

Local shop. So ne real way of getting proof

Maybe you could contact Fluval anyway and see if they can help you.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Lula_Mae said:

Maybe you could contact Fluval anyway and see if they can help you.

That's what I would do. A lot of companys don't like bad press so they'd rather fix the issue and get a good review instead of bad.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Lula_Mae   

Plus if you have a tank journal, that's sort of proof, right? :lol:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Madcat   
1 hour ago, Lula_Mae said:

Plus if you have a tank journal, that's sort of proof, right? :lol:

I don't think she(?) does. She posts in mine. :lol:

 

Thanksgiving day field trip! I was bored and the fish store was open. I needed Aiptasia X anyway - I discovered a big(ger) one on my acan skeleton that I don't think super glue alone can kill.

 

This was in one of the display tanks, so it wasn't labeled. What is it! It's so pretty.

IMG_7493.JPG.98055e1144fd381c9c61ca6cb8f9786b.JPG

 

A tiny baby!

IMG_7497.JPG.f0e8b6f909d40737586b8cff6e453528.JPG

 

A watchman goby, blue spotted perhaps? He seems to have bonded with this pistol shrimp.

IMG_7498.JPG.5f01aaaca838194ddc0cfc8318e6bb3d.JPG

 

Seagrass filefish babies. There was a whole flock of them!

IMG_7501.JPG.05bd37deba75846b9456043aa8ac83da.JPG

 

I couldn't get a great picture of this fish, and there was no tag for it. I love it! Fish like this make me want a big tank to put all these pretties in... What is it?

IMG_7504.JPG.e53967abde0b73c2427a78a1e0615ccf.JPG

 

A ragged-looking springeri damsel. (Speaking of ragged-looking, the crooked neon dottyback I posted a pic of last time is still there. :()

IMG_7508.JPG.a22c142321a750756b00394ef7d74c74.JPG

 

Gasp. Could it be?

IMG_7510.JPG.d055398c77998eba53515dd658aba42d.JPG

 

It is!! And it's so cute!!! (Get out of the way, Talbot's damsel!) Come home with me! Not really though because you'd beat Jeff up.

IMG_7513.JPG.ccb9da014f378e367e6f87f81124de27.JPG

 

Copperband butterflies:

IMG_7517.JPG.18c027da5b09d8945e22cbe24adac298.JPG

 

A dwarf lionfish:

IMG_7523.JPG.2b27023fa52afd1ae299b83cd6321730.JPG

 

It took me multiple attempts to get a pic of the lionfish without this cleaner wrasse popping up in the frame. I took a pic of him too since it clearly meant so much to the little guy.

IMG_7524.JPG.64e039a9df1b1e84fe3788fe5175e3a6.JPG

 

I love flame angels. UGH I need a big tank.

IMG_7528.JPG.4dd897b81be3f037568846a4ae499dbf.JPG

 

...Then I went back to the six-line wrasse tank and stared longingly for awhile. There were two and they were playing very nicely with all the other fish. I think they liked me. They kept looking at me with their little googly faces! (Azure damsel on the left.)

IMG_7537.JPG.117491f86e5db2678d32a2f05750562a.JPG

IMG_7538.JPG.e22a653ca988516ac60cec7ef8a81eae.JPG

 

And just so everyone knows, the fish store employee I talked to thinks a six-line wrasse would be a GREAT addition to my tank, so I think you all are wrong and that's why I bought BOTH the six-lines.

...Just kidding. I was surprisingly strong and I resisted their cuteness and the employee's encouragement. I had to forcibly pry myself away, though. :( Someone reassure me that their six-line is a model citizen who would never hurt a small weird blenny, ever. :'(

 

I went next-door and found a geometric pygmy hawkfish! (And a teeny skunk clownfish.)

IMG_7566.JPG.e224b03d02dbfdead6b1864cd5ded52c.JPG

 

Impossible to get a good pic since he was hiding in the back there, but he was adorable. And so wee! They only get 2"! I asked the guy there if they're peaceful and/or eat pods and he was like, why would you want something to eat your pods? So I explained (huge pod outbreak, zoas being swarmed and disappearing)... the guy was like, haha that doesn't happen. Super dismissive, and when I tried to explain WHY I feel like the pods are the problem, he actually told me to "just relax about it"... twice. Like I'm a hysterical female. Honestly. Then he tried to sell me on a couple different fish including an orchid and a springeri dottyback. I told him I'd consider those since I heard they're less aggressive than other dottybacks, and he says, "Where'd you hear that, a chatroom? Don't believe everything you read on the internet."

...Where am I supposed to hear about it?! Should I be getting my ass to the public library every time I wonder if a certain fish species is compatible in a small tank with a clownfish and a Jeff?

 

The upshot to this story is that he says he gets possum wrasses in every couple of weeks and he took my number and will give me a call next time he gets a few healthy ones in. Still grumbling though. And anyway, since I obviously can't trust any of you and should only listen to fish store employees, I think I should go back for the six-line wrasse.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Melfy77   
4 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Plus if you have a tank journal, that's sort of proof, right? :lol:

Lol i don't have a journal. I do have pics and the box hahaha

 

I was on a different forum looking for the light and turns out one guy has the evo 13.5 since february, and is currently on his 4th light!!! So clearly there's an issue with the light fixture. Today was holiday so i'll call tomorrow 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Madcat   
46 minutes ago, Melfy77 said:

Lol i don't have a journal.

Psst, you should make one.

 

Tacking onto my last post, because I'm a dumb millennial who believes the things she reads on the internet, SHOULD I maybe consider an orchid dottyback? It would be colourful and active, like I want. I like that they're captive bred. I guess the only sticking point is, will it actively HUNT pods? Or will it just eat pods in the way that "all fish [except Jeff and Puzzle] eat pods"? (I know I seem flaky, but I want my third (permanent) resident to be just right.)

 

I pulled the old stock pump apart tonight and the sponge inside it (why is there a sponge in the pump?!) had an ungodly amount of crud in it. I pulled that out and gave the whole thing a good scrubbin'. Then I put it back in the tank, expecting it to knock my socks off... and it's just as weak as before. What the crap!!! I put the MJ900 back in and it's just as bad. I need a new pump and now I'm MORE grumbly because I already upgraded, darnit.

 

But yeah... orchid dottybacks... opinions? :)

Share this post


Link to post
Lula_Mae   
6 hours ago, Madcat said:

I don't think she(?) does. She posts in mine. :lol:

 

Thanksgiving day field trip! I was bored and the fish store was open. I needed Aiptasia X anyway - I discovered a big(ger) one on my acan skeleton that I don't think super glue alone can kill.

 

This was in one of the display tanks, so it wasn't labeled. What is it! It's so pretty.

IMG_7493.JPG.98055e1144fd381c9c61ca6cb8f9786b.JPG

 

A tiny baby!

IMG_7497.JPG.f0e8b6f909d40737586b8cff6e453528.JPG

 

A watchman goby, blue spotted perhaps? He seems to have bonded with this pistol shrimp.

IMG_7498.JPG.5f01aaaca838194ddc0cfc8318e6bb3d.JPG

 

Seagrass filefish babies. There was a whole flock of them!

IMG_7501.JPG.05bd37deba75846b9456043aa8ac83da.JPG

 

I couldn't get a great picture of this fish, and there was no tag for it. I love it! Fish like this make me want a big tank to put all these pretties in... What is it?

IMG_7504.JPG.e53967abde0b73c2427a78a1e0615ccf.JPG

 

A ragged-looking springeri damsel. (Speaking of ragged-looking, the crooked neon dottyback I posted a pic of last time is still there. :()

IMG_7508.JPG.a22c142321a750756b00394ef7d74c74.JPG

 

Gasp. Could it be?

IMG_7510.JPG.d055398c77998eba53515dd658aba42d.JPG

 

It is!! And it's so cute!!! (Get out of the way, Talbot's damsel!) Come home with me! Not really though because you'd beat Jeff up.

IMG_7513.JPG.ccb9da014f378e367e6f87f81124de27.JPG

 

Copperband butterflies:

IMG_7517.JPG.18c027da5b09d8945e22cbe24adac298.JPG

 

A dwarf lionfish:

IMG_7523.JPG.2b27023fa52afd1ae299b83cd6321730.JPG

 

It took me multiple attempts to get a pic of the lionfish without this cleaner wrasse popping up in the frame. I took a pic of him too since it clearly meant so much to the little guy.

IMG_7524.JPG.64e039a9df1b1e84fe3788fe5175e3a6.JPG

 

I love flame angels. UGH I need a big tank.

IMG_7528.JPG.4dd897b81be3f037568846a4ae499dbf.JPG

 

...Then I went back to the six-line wrasse tank and stared longingly for awhile. There were two and they were playing very nicely with all the other fish. I think they liked me. They kept looking at me with their little googly faces! (Azure damsel on the left.)

IMG_7537.JPG.117491f86e5db2678d32a2f05750562a.JPG

IMG_7538.JPG.e22a653ca988516ac60cec7ef8a81eae.JPG

 

And just so everyone knows, the fish store employee I talked to thinks a six-line wrasse would be a GREAT addition to my tank, so I think you all are wrong and that's why I bought BOTH the six-lines.

...Just kidding. I was surprisingly strong and I resisted their cuteness and the employee's encouragement. I had to forcibly pry myself away, though. :( Someone reassure me that their six-line is a model citizen who would never hurt a small weird blenny, ever. :'(

 

I went next-door and found a geometric pygmy hawkfish! (And a teeny skunk clownfish.)

IMG_7566.JPG.e224b03d02dbfdead6b1864cd5ded52c.JPG

 

Impossible to get a good pic since he was hiding in the back there, but he was adorable. And so wee! They only get 2"! I asked the guy there if they're peaceful and/or eat pods and he was like, why would you want something to eat your pods? So I explained (huge pod outbreak, zoas being swarmed and disappearing)... the guy was like, haha that doesn't happen. Super dismissive, and when I tried to explain WHY I feel like the pods are the problem, he actually told me to "just relax about it"... twice. Like I'm a hysterical female. Honestly. Then he tried to sell me on a couple different fish including an orchid and a springeri dottyback. I told him I'd consider those since I heard they're less aggressive than other dottybacks, and he says, "Where'd you hear that, a chatroom? Don't believe everything you read on the internet."

...Where am I supposed to hear about it?! Should I be getting my ass to the public library every time I wonder if a certain fish species is compatible in a small tank with a clownfish and a Jeff?

 

The upshot to this story is that he says he gets possum wrasses in every couple of weeks and he took my number and will give me a call next time he gets a few healthy ones in. Still grumbling though. And anyway, since I obviously can't trust any of you and should only listen to fish store employees, I think I should go back for the six-line wrasse.

I think the sixline would probably give Jeff a huge wedgie by pulling his underpants up and over his head, and then stuff him in an empty locker, and maybe give him a swirly in the toilet somewhere in there.  Weird kids don't fare well with bullies. :lol:

 

The dottyback might be the same, I've mostly seen them kept solo in nano tanks so I can't remember what they do well with.  I'd think they need some relatively pugnacious fish though, to give them what-for when necessary.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

My orchid dottyback was an angel for the short amount of time I had him but he was a tiny baby. It comes down to the fishes individual personality, your best bet would be a tiny baby and if it's housed with others the one that is at the bottom of the pecking order. Even then though as it matured and got established it would probably push the other fish around a bit. Just do lots of research, some other species that are known to be more peaceful are springeri, elongate, and striped dottybacks. The ORA website is a great resource to check out.

Share this post


Link to post

That damsel is about the meanest SOB you'll ever find, same with the dottyback. Even in my old 8'  240 they were miserable little fish.

Share this post


Link to post
Madcat   
On 10/11/2017 at 4:10 PM, StinkyBunny said:

That damsel is about the meanest SOB you'll ever find, same with the dottyback. Even in my old 8'  240 they were miserable little fish.

Really? The orchid dottyback? I've heard nothing but good things! Crazy.

 

Early this morning I turned the lights on briefly to check something (it was Pale Snail, lying on his back. RIP I suspect). The whole tank was absolutely CRAWLING with pods. I mean there was an approximate METRIC TON of them. On the sandbed, on the walls, around my corals. And when the scooter blenny poked her head out of the sandbed, what does she decide to do?

 

IMG_7618.JPG.95e6b19b94c7ca5960250b0073acaa0b.JPG

 

Me: NO SCOOTER! EAT THE PODS! RUN!!

Scooter: What? You want me to levitate creepily?

 

("Yes, that's exactly what I said." "You want the pee bucket on your head??")

 

I can't believe there are still so many pods in my tank! Where do they go during the day? How has she not eradicated them? A SIX-LINE WRASSE WOULDN'T DICK ME AROUND LIKE THIS, SCOOTER.

 

IMG_7613.JPG.8d048f283e0ef7a0321dc6447caab168.JPG

 

All the dots are pods. And that was just a fraction of them. It's unreal.

  • Haha 1
  • Wow 1

Share this post


Link to post
Lula_Mae   
21 hours ago, Madcat said:

Really? The orchid dottyback? I've heard nothing but good things! Crazy.

 

Early this morning I turned the lights on briefly to check something (it was Pale Snail, lying on his back. RIP I suspect). The whole tank was absolutely CRAWLING with pods. I mean there was an approximate METRIC TON of them. On the sandbed, on the walls, around my corals. And when the scooter blenny poked her head out of the sandbed, what does she decide to do?

 

IMG_7618.JPG.95e6b19b94c7ca5960250b0073acaa0b.JPG

 

Me: NO SCOOTER! EAT THE PODS! RUN!!

Scooter: What? You want me to levitate creepily?

 

("Yes, that's exactly what I said." "You want the pee bucket on your head??")

 

I can't believe there are still so many pods in my tank! Where do they go during the day? How has she not eradicated them? A SIX-LINE WRASSE WOULDN'T DICK ME AROUND LIKE THIS, SCOOTER.

 

IMG_7613.JPG.8d048f283e0ef7a0321dc6447caab168.JPG

 

All the dots are pods. And that was just a fraction of them. It's unreal.

Welp, guess she isn't starving if she wanted to boogie around in the tank. :lol:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Madcat   
3 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Welp, guess she isn't starving if she wanted to boogie around in the tank. :lol:

Hmf. I guess that's a good way to look at it. I should withhold the mysis for awhile, maybe then she'll DO HER JOB

 

I have a lead on a possum wrasse, maybe! Some retailer posted a stock list that included yellow banded possums a few days ago. A few days too late for me, of course - they're already sold. But the seller expects to get more next week and I think he'll hold one for me. He doesn't know what kind is coming yet, but he said Tanaka's don't come in very often. I'll settle for any of the Wetmorella sp., really - yellow bandeds are still pretty cute.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
sugar   

I can't believe you're at 18 pages already, look at you!  I'll have to go back and catch up.

 

The lid on my old Nano Cube went and I had to take it down... but I was so, so, so close to replacing it with a Fluval 13.5  I love those little tanks!

 

I just dumped everything into my 25g though, and now I want a bigger tank :lol:

 

Possum Wrasse, eh???  I would LOVE to have one of those little guys.  I need to do a better job at following along!  Great job, so far!

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recommended Discussions

  • Sign Up or Sign In to hide this.

×