Cultivated Reef

Madcat's Fluval Evo 13.5 - new shrimpy

Madcat

Gah finicky fish are always a pain, at least Jeff is taking the flakes now for you. I had a geometric pygmy hawkfish that never ate for me before the ich wipeout, it's the worst feeling watching a fish slowly waste away over time.

People make Mandarins and Scooties out to be so hard to feed and they're not. Mine are on pellets now and I've had them for about a year. I need to get an auto feeder so I can feed them throughout the night. As for those little Pygmy hawks, mine all eat like pigs, they do like their mysis and plankton.

6 hours ago, StinkyBunny said:

People make Mandarins and Scooties out to be so hard to feed and they're not. Mine are on pellets now and I've had them for about a year. I need to get an auto feeder so I can feed them throughout the night. As for those little Pygmy hawks, mine all eat like pigs, they do like their mysis and plankton.

Maybe if the possum wrasse is a no-go I'll take a second look at the scooter blenny, see if his tummy's as hollow as the other one in the tank and if he'll eat prepared foods there. I probably would need an auto feeder though, multiple feedings throughout the day aren't always possible for me.

Feeding time tonight was a battle of the brothers! Jeff's getting braver and braver, and tonight he came all the way out to snatch flakes from under Puzzle's nose. It was too funny watching them race to get the biggest flakes! They never really interact otherwise, and tonight it was on like Donkey Kong. :lol: I love those two.

I've decided I will go to the coral show on Saturday!! It's only a $5 entry fee. I'll give myself a $100 budget (provided I can stick to that...) and we'll see what I can come up with to fill my tank out a bit more. So much for being in maintenance mode.

Small story just to end this post. My dwarf hamster Anchovy squeaks in his sleep. I call it "sleep eepnia" because he makes eeping noises. (Often he sounds like a wet rubber.) I've been working afternoons all week, and every morning have awoken to: "Eep. Eep. EEP! EEEP! EEEP!"

He's doing it right now. How can Peanut Butter stand to live in there with him? Why are all my animals so weird?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
12 hours ago, Madcat said:

Maybe if the possum wrasse is a no-go I'll take a second look at the scooter blenny, see if his tummy's as hollow as the other one in the tank and if he'll eat prepared foods there. I probably would need an auto feeder though, multiple feedings throughout the day aren't always possible for me.

Feeding time tonight was a battle of the brothers! Jeff's getting braver and braver, and tonight he came all the way out to snatch flakes from under Puzzle's nose. It was too funny watching them race to get the biggest flakes! They never really interact otherwise, and tonight it was on like Donkey Kong. :lol: I love those two.

I've decided I will go to the coral show on Saturday!! It's only a $5 entry fee. I'll give myself a $100 budget (provided I can stick to that...) and we'll see what I can come up with to fill my tank out a bit more. So much for being in maintenance mode.

Small story just to end this post. My dwarf hamster Anchovy squeaks in his sleep. I call it "sleep eepnia" because he makes eeping noises. (Often he sounds like a wet rubber.) I've been working afternoons all week, and every morning have awoken to: "Eep. Eep. EEP! EEEP! EEEP!"

He's doing it right now. How can Peanut Butter stand to live in there with him? Why are all my animals so weird?

Sleep eepnia! :lol: Hilarious!

17 hours ago, Madcat said:

Hahahaha too funny!!! And cute?

So I got my new TSB!!! Not shy at all and eats like a pig!! I'm so happy!!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, jesseatam said:

Too bad you're in canada, Divers Den has two really nice looking yellow banded possum wrasse in right now :(

Aww man... :(

NAFB didn't get any possums. Maybe next week. What now?

17 minutes ago, Madcat said:

Aww man... :(

NAFB didn't get any possums. Maybe next week. What now?

Ah that's frustrating, if you don't want to wait anymore maybe take the plunge with the scooter. I hear that rainfords gobies are quite active pod hunters as well, but the wild caught ones rarely take prepared food.

Possums are tough to get and when you do get them, everyone wants them. I wish they were a little more common than they are. They're such a nice fish. There are quite a few listed for arrival in this week's transshipping lists so maybe your LFS will get one for you.

• Like 1

Home from the coral show! It was my first one so I wasn't sure what to expect. It was odd! All the lights were off, except the tank lights so that the corals really shone. There weren't too many vendors. I was disappointed on my first pass as I had really wanted to find a hairy toadstool. On my second pass I looked more closely at everything and found some nice steals! I ended up leaving with three frags: a Rasta zoa (2 polyps), an Utter Chaos paly (4 polyps), and my favourite find:

IMG_7073.JPG.d564c9fdf5c533f4731343459a53ecc7.JPG

A cup coral! (The lights had been off while everyone was temp acclimating, so the other corals are pissed.) It's pink/purpley with yellow polyps (apparently - they weren't out at the show, the vendor said these guys don't travel so well. But I didn't even notice the yellow bumps at the show, so I think they're thinking about opening up!).

Utter Chaos has made itself right at home!

IMG_7079.JPG.a65476b2b2cff32232fa4474b1f42bc3.JPG

Only one big polyp, the rest are small. Still, the frag was $20 and Fragbox sells Utter Chaos for like $30 per polyp. The Rastas are in the background, just starting to open up. They're little baby heads, but my eagle eyes are FINALLY growing new polyps - 4 sprang up almost overnight! - so I feel that I am a pretty accomplished zoa grower now. Also $20. So, good steals.

"Why are they on the sandbed, Madcat?" you ask. "Aren't you afraid they'll get eaten by your crazed swarm of pods?" Yes. In fact I'm fairly confident the pods won't be able to resist a pair of nice expensive zoa snacks, and I'm trying to lure them out. You see, the cavalry is here! I'll tell you that story, and I hope you guys think I did the right thing.

After leaving the show I drove all the way to the LFS (sweaty and miserable all the while. Today was a bad day to spend an extended amount of time in a car with no AC). On the drive to the show I had been thinking, and thinking, and I decided I was gonna get one of the green clown gobies. It was the plan I had made on Tues for if NAFB didn't get possums. And damnit, I can STILL see pods all over my new zoa frag from Tues (they spent several days planning their attack on my other frag too!), and I wanted some insurance for my new zoas. I'm sick and tired of these pods!

I snapped a few pics of other new things from their shipment. A marine betta! My first time seeing one in person! They're gorgeous!

IMG_7064.JPG.32fdebaced6934a9cd2cedbad2897b05.JPG

SO FURRY. I think it's a sand dollar.

IMG_7065.JPG.9669eceb2fab15630c70f045180c63d0.JPG

And a very cool red feather starfish!

IMG_7067.JPG.67709ec73105156b16dcbfa134633e89.JPG

And I found the GCGs, and I'll show you why I didn't buy one:

IMG_7062.JPG.dc4d45b81dfa155a4888e2724040080a.JPGIMG_7063.JPG.d43f68c4a566bcdd83321635db4e5e30.JPG

Virtually ALL of them were on their sides gasping. The one on the left in the top pic looked like he had some kind of greenish film on him. The rightmost one wasn't breathing. :( There was MAYBE one who was upright. I feel so sad for them.

That took the wind right outta my sails. I bummed around taking a few pics and doing some more thinking. I spent some time on my phone researching Rainford gobies, but like @jesseatam said, it sounds like they pretty much never come around to prepared foods, and I specifically want someone who will eat both pods and prepared foods in case the macro won't protect the breeding pods. I went to look at my scooter friend again. This time both the scooters (including the hollow-bellied one I saw last time) were out in the open, and it became very clear that even without seeing their undersides, one is emaciated and one is not. The emaciated one had hollow sides and concavities on either side of the spine. The other one, which I've posted pictures of in the past, was rounded all over and actively picking at the sand. I watched for awhile and finally found a not-busy employee to talk to and told him my problem. He agreed the GCGs were in terrible shape. The yellow clown gobies looked okay-ish, but neither of us had ever heard of them eating pods. He showed me a psychedelic Mandarin, but it's not eating prepared foods (at least he was honest). Then I asked about the scooter. He wasn't sure, and offered to put some frozen food in the tank so we could see what it would do. I said okay.

He came back with some frozen mysis in a bag and said, "These are pretty big pieces, he may not go for them," but he dropped some in over the chubby scooter. It cocked an eye at the falling mysis. The second it hit the sandbed, the scooter POUNCED and stuffed THE BIGGEST PIECE in its tiny baby mouth. The employee and I both burst out laughing while scooter stuffed down the big piece and snatched another away from a crab. I didn't even think it was possible for a scooter blenny to eat such a large food item! Anyway, we were like, guess that answers that question, and the employee was like, "Do you want to take him home?", and I was like, "Yeah."

IMG_7072.JPG.7bc34726496b5378a5e8e385501d4da2.JPG

Other employee was able to give me some more info before we bagged him up. She said they'd had the two scooters for a long time now - I'm sure he's the same one I saw when I got Claudette and the snails in July. They moved the two of them into the tank they were in currently because it was overrun with copepods. They've now wiped out the population, and it seems like one of them was able to adapt, and the other just hasn't. They are fine with me bringing him back if he doesn't do well in my tank. But I'm hopeful he will, otherwise I wouldn't have brought him home.

I actually think he is a she. Seems like the males have those big obnoxious sails on their backs and I don't remember even seeing that. I'd been liking the name Tim on the drive home, but perhaps she is a Timmy or a Tina. I temp and drip acclimated her and now the lights are off so she can settle in. I hope she likes all my pods!

Finally, here is the eeping culprit:

IMG_7070.JPG.185aea6cd64e0b2e0cbb732ce74b0fd1.JPG

And his brother, who is perfect and would never wake me up by screaming in his sleep, ever.

IMG_7061.JPG.ff7f7f960f3121530d2b29cf432bc88e.JPG

• Like 7
  • Madcat changed the title to Madcat's Fluval Evo 13.5 - new corals and a fishy!
4 minutes ago, Madcat said:

Home from the coral show! It was my first one so I wasn't sure what to expect. It was odd! All the lights were off, except the tank lights so that the corals really shone. There weren't too many vendors. I was disappointed on my first pass as I had really wanted to find a hairy toadstool. On my second pass I looked more closely at everything and found some nice steals! I ended up leaving with three frags: a Rasta zoa (2 polyps), an Utter Chaos paly (4 polyps), and my favourite find:

IMG_7073.JPG.d564c9fdf5c533f4731343459a53ecc7.JPG

A cup coral! (The lights had been off while everyone was temp acclimating, so the other corals are pissed.) It's pink/purpley with yellow polyps (apparently - they weren't out at the show, the vendor said these guys don't travel so well. But I didn't even notice the yellow bumps at the show, so I think they're thinking about opening up!).

Utter Chaos has made itself right at home!

IMG_7079.JPG.a65476b2b2cff32232fa4474b1f42bc3.JPG

Only one big polyp, the rest are small. Still, the frag was $20 and Fragbox sells Utter Chaos for like $30 per polyp. The Rastas are in the background, just starting to open up. They're little baby heads, but my eagle eyes are FINALLY growing new polyps - 4 sprang up almost overnight! - so I feel that I am a pretty accomplished zoa grower now. Also $20. So, good steals.

"Why are they on the sandbed, Madcat?" you ask. "Aren't you afraid they'll get eaten by your crazed swarm of pods?" Yes. In fact I'm fairly confident the pods won't be able to resist a pair of nice expensive zoa snacks, and I'm trying to lure them out. You see, the cavalry is here! I'll tell you that story, and I hope you guys think I did the right thing.

After leaving the show I drove all the way to the LFS (sweaty and miserable all the while. Today was a bad day to spend an extended amount of time in a car with no AC). On the drive to the show I had been thinking, and thinking, and I decided I was gonna get one of the green clown gobies. It was the plan I had made on Tues for if NAFB didn't get possums. And damnit, I can STILL see pods all over my new zoa frag from Tues (they spent several days planning their attack on my other frag too!), and I wanted some insurance for my new zoas. I'm sick and tired of these pods!

I snapped a few pics of other new things from their shipment. A marine betta! My first time seeing one in person! They're gorgeous!

IMG_7064.JPG.32fdebaced6934a9cd2cedbad2897b05.JPG

SO FURRY. I think it's a sand dollar.

IMG_7065.JPG.9669eceb2fab15630c70f045180c63d0.JPG

And a very cool red feather starfish!

IMG_7067.JPG.67709ec73105156b16dcbfa134633e89.JPG

And I found the GCGs, and I'll show you why I didn't buy one:

IMG_7062.JPG.dc4d45b81dfa155a4888e2724040080a.JPGIMG_7063.JPG.d43f68c4a566bcdd83321635db4e5e30.JPG

Virtually ALL of them were on their sides gasping. The one on the left in the top pic looked like he had some kind of greenish film on him. The rightmost one wasn't breathing. :( There was MAYBE one who was upright. I feel so sad for them.

That took the wind right outta my sails. I bummed around taking a few pics and doing some more thinking. I spent some time on my phone researching Rainford gobies, but like @jesseatam said, it sounds like they pretty much never come around to prepared foods, and I specifically want someone who will eat both pods and prepared foods in case the macro won't protect the breeding pods. I went to look at my scooter friend again. This time both the scooters (including the hollow-bellied one I saw last time) were out in the open, and it became very clear that even without seeing their undersides, one is emaciated and one is not. The emaciated one had hollow sides and concavities on either side of the spine. The other one, which I've posted pictures of in the past, was rounded all over and actively picking at the sand. I watched for awhile and finally found a not-busy employee to talk to and told him my problem. He agreed the GCGs were in terrible shape. The yellow clown gobies looked okay-ish, but neither of us had ever heard of them eating pods. He showed me a psychedelic Mandarin, but it's not eating prepared foods (at least he was honest). Then I asked about the scooter. He wasn't sure, and offered to put some frozen food in the tank so we could see what it would do. I said okay.

He came back with some frozen mysis in a bag and said, "These are pretty big pieces, he may not go for them," but he dropped some in over the chubby scooter. It cocked an eye at the falling mysis. The second it hit the sandbed, the scooter POUNCED and stuffed THE BIGGEST PIECE in its tiny baby mouth. The employee and I both burst out laughing while scooter stuffed down the big piece and snatched another away from a crab. I didn't even think it was possible for a scooter blenny to eat such a large food item! Anyway, we were like, guess that answers that question, and the employee was like, "Do you want to take him home?", and I was like, "Yeah."

IMG_7072.JPG.7bc34726496b5378a5e8e385501d4da2.JPG

Other employee was able to give me some more info before we bagged him up. She said they'd had the two scooters for a long time now - I'm sure he's the same one I saw when I got Claudette and the snails in July. They moved the two of them into the tank they were in currently because it was overrun with copepods. They've now wiped out the population, and it seems like one of them was able to adapt, and the other just hasn't. They are fine with me bringing him back if he doesn't do well in my tank. But I'm hopeful he will, otherwise I wouldn't have brought him home.

I actually think he is a she. Seems like the males have those big obnoxious sails on their backs and I don't remember even seeing that. I'd been liking the name Tim on the drive home, but perhaps she is a Timmy or a Tina. I temp and drip acclimated her and now the lights are off so she can settle in. I hope she likes all my pods!

Finally, here is the eeping culprit:

IMG_7070.JPG.185aea6cd64e0b2e0cbb732ce74b0fd1.JPG

And his brother, who is perfect and would never wake me up by screaming in his sleep, ever.

IMG_7061.JPG.ff7f7f960f3121530d2b29cf432bc88e.JPG

Great finds!  Poor GCG's :( Hope the scooter does well and eats and stays fat for you!

Marine bettas are so cool!  I've only ever seen one in person.  It was owned by the guy who I bought my clowns from.  I like what you got at the coral show, and great prices!  If I could find utter chaos for that price I'd snatch them up!  I hope the scooter stays nice and fat for you!  And your hams :wub:

1 hour ago, fishfreak0114 said:

Marine bettas are so cool!  I've only ever seen one in person.  It was owned by the guy who I bought my clowns from.  I like what you got at the coral show, and great prices!  If I could find utter chaos for that price I'd snatch them up!  I hope the scooter stays nice and fat for you!  And your hams :wub:

I'm kicking myself because I stupidly spent my cash at vendors that would have taken credit, and then didn't have $10 to grab a blue hornet zoa frag. It was just 1-2 polyps and I wasn't sure how well such a tiny frag would do with all my pests, but still...

Bad hermies! My cup coral! Not for you!

IMG_7082.JPG.920bb671105a9b3d810faf195e08766c.JPG

:lol: They love to pick at new frag plugs, bless them... but rude Marius is actually sitting ON the coral! It doesn't seem to mind.

I haven't posted a pic of my new clove polyps all opened up. I swear it's growing already.

IMG_7083.JPG.56e2c7b396c745564f8d45432ec8a781.JPG

Look how lush my macro is, too! Not sure what changed, but the move into my bedroom has really agreed with it! No more ghostly fronds, it's so vibrant.

I just turned the lights back on. Little lady had partially buried herself in the sand, but she shook it off and came creeping out to check things out as soon as the lights were on.

In fact.... 

One down! I love her! Hope she keeps going, my Rasta zoa frag is already swarming...

(She needs a name, she doesn't look like a Timmy or a Tina. I'm bad at girl names though. Meryl? Linda? This is hard.)

• Like 3

Aw that scooters adorable :wub: I'm confident that it'll do well for you. Name whise if it was a boy I'd go with maybe a name like Marius or Atticus, for a girl I think Lily or Lola would be a nice fit :)

1 hour ago, Madcat said:

I'm kicking myself because I stupidly spent my cash at vendors that would have taken credit, and then didn't have $10 to grab a blue hornet zoa frag. It was just 1-2 polyps and I wasn't sure how well such a tiny frag would do with all my pests, but still...

Bad hermies! My cup coral! Not for you!

IMG_7082.JPG.920bb671105a9b3d810faf195e08766c.JPG

:lol: They love to pick at new frag plugs, bless them... but rude Marius is actually sitting ON the coral! It doesn't seem to mind.

I haven't posted a pic of my new clove polyps all opened up. I swear it's growing already.

IMG_7083.JPG.56e2c7b396c745564f8d45432ec8a781.JPG

Look how lush my macro is, too! Not sure what changed, but the move into my bedroom has really agreed with it! No more ghostly fronds, it's so vibrant.

I just turned the lights back on. Little lady had partially buried herself in the sand, but she shook it off and came creeping out to check things out as soon as the lights were on.

In fact.... 

One down! I love her! Hope she keeps going, my Rasta zoa frag is already swarming...

(She needs a name, she doesn't look like a Timmy or a Tina. I'm bad at girl names though. Meryl? Linda? This is hard.)

:wub: I do like Meryl, or maybe Cosette?  Actually Meryl is a fish name I've considered before!

Day 2 scooter update! But first... who needs a shrimp to clean your livestock when you have rude hermies with no concept of boundaries?

IMG_7113.JPG.39d811d222acfb8459cd0288eda63c05.JPG

IMG_7117.JPG.4530f077220f49c918de833c43826139.JPG

Loving the Utter Chaos. The rastas opened last night and I kind of just stared at them for a minute, like... you're not rastas. I've been duped! They look much more like Green Bay Packers or something similar in the light. I couldn't understand how I had been so deceived. The room wasn't THAT dark, plus there was a light shining right on the corals. I felt pretty dumb, anyhow. Then I went to turn off my lights for the night, and they transitioned to blue light, and the zoas suddenly looked vastly different. I listed off the colours I could see, from the center spot out: purple, orange, green, blue, yellow... I looked up a pic of rasta zoas on Google: purple, orange, green, blue, yellow...

But under white lights:

IMG_7121.JPG.abcd13972b7780641585ee83db5b60ce.JPG

Weird and disappointing. One more reason to upgrade my light. This bird I'm getting is making me broke-ass poor pretty fast, though, and she's not even here yet. A new light may have to wait till Christmas. Boo.

Little lady:

IMG_7118.JPG.1412b97a9d45695201a05642bb08ea6f.JPG

I'm starting to lean toward the name Minerva... maybe. Her little beaky mouth and big eyes make her look like a little owl. I'm still undecided.

Today I offered her mysis and she ignored it. In fact she started swimming up and down the back wall, which I haven't seen her do (she's never left the sandbed). I guess maybe I agitated her, though she really doesn't SEEM unsettled by the pipette or my hand - she doesn't react when they're near her. Anyway, she didn't take any food. Should I try her again tomorrow?

I'm wondering if (when she settles in enough to eat) I could eventually get her to take PE mysis pellets, since she likes mysis. I'm also wondering if Jeff would take mysis pellets, since he really likes mysis but spits out Puzzle's pellets. I have no doubts about Puzzle's willingness to eat... anything.

I did my WC tonight and found pods in places I had never seen them before: on my media basket in the filter chambers, and all in the velcro-y inside surface of the magnet cleaner! As if they were in hiding. Do they know there's a predator in the tank? How weird. It reassures me that I must have a large population like I thought, if these are the nooks and crannies I'm finding them in - surely there are many more in my rock and sandbed? I was worried she maybe wasn't finding any, since they kind of disappear once the lights are on for awhile unless they're terrorizing my zoas. It's unsettling to have a fish I don't see eating. Even when I watch her hunting, I can't really tell if she's caught anything. It's had me second guessing myself, tbh. I hope she does okay.

• Like 3

Too tired to upload pics, but they're coming. Short update for tonight.

Kinky Snoot, my Nassarius, finally lost his battle with his degenerative snoot disease. Claudette and Marius were giving him an honourable ocean funeral this morning when I turned the lights on. Rest well, poor Kinky Snoot. I hope you liked the mysis I gave you the other day.

Little lady scooter still has no name and still hasn't eaten any food I've given her on purpose. I have no proof of this, but I think she's picked at some flakes (which is odd but I'll take it!). I've fed flakes twice since she came home and Jeff has become SUPER gung-ho about food now (he didn't ask for a sister and she's not gonna get any of his food, darn it!!), but because he's Jeff and he fails at everything, sometimes he'll just swim right past the flakes I've squirted at him, like an idiot. Then they settle on the sandbed and on Monday the scooter kind of scooted over casually and picked at the sand in that vicinity. Today I surreptitiously squirted some flakes in her direction and she was like "how dare you!" and scooted away, but later she snuck back and did some more sand-picking. But again, I have no proof that she was actually after the flakes. Her attitude towards everything that comes out of the pipette thus far has been pretty much "how dare you." I assume she's PROBABLY (hopefully?) feeding well on pods at this time, so I'm not too worried yet.

Jeff ate so much seaweed yesterday I thought he was gonna pop. I can only assume he was afraid the scooter would eat it. NO SEAWEED FOR SCOOTER. ONLY SEAWEED FOR JEFF.

I love these fishies. Pics tomorrow if not too lazy.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Madcat said:

Too tired to upload pics, but they're coming. Short update for tonight.

Kinky Snoot, my Nassarius, finally lost his battle with his degenerative snoot disease. Claudette and Marius were giving him an honourable ocean funeral this morning when I turned the lights on. Rest well, poor Kinky Snoot. I hope you liked the mysis I gave you the other day.

Little lady scooter still has no name and still hasn't eaten any food I've given her on purpose. I have no proof of this, but I think she's picked at some flakes (which is odd but I'll take it!). I've fed flakes twice since she came home and Jeff has become SUPER gung-ho about food now (he didn't ask for a sister and she's not gonna get any of his food, darn it!!), but because he's Jeff and he fails at everything, sometimes he'll just swim right past the flakes I've squirted at him, like an idiot. Then they settle on the sandbed and on Monday the scooter kind of scooted over casually and picked at the sand in that vicinity. Today I surreptitiously squirted some flakes in her direction and she was like "how dare you!" and scooted away, but later she snuck back and did some more sand-picking. But again, I have no proof that she was actually after the flakes. Her attitude towards everything that comes out of the pipette thus far has been pretty much "how dare you." I assume she's PROBABLY (hopefully?) feeding well on pods at this time, so I'm not too worried yet.

Jeff ate so much seaweed yesterday I thought he was gonna pop. I can only assume he was afraid the scooter would eat it. NO SEAWEED FOR SCOOTER. ONLY SEAWEED FOR JEFF.

I love these fishies. Pics tomorrow if not too lazy.

RIP Kinky Snoot. And Jeff :lol:

Need advice. Possum wrasses have finally landed in the GTA.

Do I get one because I think I'm more likely to have long-term success with a possum than with scooter?

I feel bad because I love scooter. And she was not an impulse purchase, even though I went to the store for a GCG. A scooter was always one of my plan B fish and I did my research and I've seen her doing well at the store for months. What I didn't realize was how nervous it would make me to have a fish I can't SEE eating. Even when she pecks the sand, I don't know if she's caught a pod. My fear now is that she'll very slowly waste away - that even if she starts eating prepared foods, I won't be able to feed her frequently enough - and it'll take months before I see something wrong.

Please advise. :(

22 minutes ago, Madcat said:

Need advice. Possum wrasses have finally landed in the GTA.

Do I get one because I think I'm more likely to have long-term success with a possum than with scooter?

I feel bad because I love scooter. And she was not an impulse purchase, even though I went to the store for a GCG. A scooter was always one of my plan B fish and I did my research and I've seen her doing well at the store for months. What I didn't realize was how nervous it would make me to have a fish I can't SEE eating. Even when she pecks the sand, I don't know if she's caught a pod. My fear now is that she'll very slowly waste away - that even if she starts eating prepared foods, I won't be able to feed her frequently enough - and it'll take months before I see something wrong.

Please advise. :(

I think it comes down to your confidence in keeping the fish healthy long-term, but you only recently purchased the fish so it would be hard to tell how well it's doing so far. If the scooter is causing a lot of stress on you though I'd say return it as constantly worrying about it's well being and whether it's eating or not would probably end up taking a lot of fun out of the hobby and just isn't healthy.

• Like 4

Quit stressing over the Scootie, it'll do just fine. It'll pick during the day on pods, then you feed it 2x a day. The Possum wrasse will compete with the Scootie for food so there's that as well. I don't see why you couldn't keep both, but that would be it fish wise.

• Like 1
  • Madcat changed the title to Madcat's Fluval Evo 13.5 - new shrimpy