inTank Media Baskets

Madcat's Fluval Evo 13.5 - new shrimpy

Madcat

fishfreak0114
37 minutes ago, Melfy77 said:

They don't really have a good survival rate i'm afraid :( the guy who sold it was not happy when his boss told him they had this fish because he knows how small and tricky they can be, but thought of me since I have a small tank perfect for the little guy:D

That's what a quick google search told me :(  Too bad, they look badass.  Hope he does well in your tank!

2 hours ago, fishfreak0114 said:

You get to visit fragbox too?!  I need to move haha, I have to go an hour and a half for overpriced, often unhealthy, corals.  I dig the new additions B)

It's about 30-40 min away depending on traffic (the 401... yuck). I've been meaning to go check it out and the guy I was picking up the corals from lives 5 min away! His place is a frag shop itself - like Aladdin's cave full of glittering treasures. Seriously, two tanks full of frags and a jaw-dropping DT. Super nice guy - we talked corals for awhile. I've just about been talked into a hairy toadstool. He had one in his DT that I really liked. I'm pretty sure I'll be buying from him again either way!

Fragbox - I wanted to see all their $5 zoa frags and ended up not leaving with any. Some were just closed up. I ended up picking the acan as my "bargain bin" purchase. It's like a sad puppy. It needs love!

It's fluffing up though, look!

IMG_6212.JPG.43e0cc700e95640dcca45d66bbcf74f4.JPG

Not sure what the outlook is for the stung head. I'll wait and see. You can see it has some baby heads coming in. :)

Ricordea is puffing up nicely too!

IMG_6210.JPG.7750c2718c190625309a4563ab70de81.JPG

I'm always so pleased when things seem happy to be in my tank.

I gotta move the blasto colony to somewhere I can take better pics of it. I wanted it shielded from the light a bit at first - my other two didn't like strong light when I first put them in.

IMG_6209.JPG.ff3c4b5bf2fcba970e8efca2cb5c9b7c.JPG

Zoas are still thinking about opening up:

IMG_6213.JPG.39f333fbb02dff62bfff6341c4b06c7c.JPG

I'm really curious to see if the bottom-most one will open. It's a mystery polyp that came on the acan frag.

FTS:

IMG_6217.JPG.131470233600cdef20ecac8055a8f284.JPG

I'm moving the tank into my bedroom soon and it'll be facing the other way, so I'm planning on redoing my scape. So the corals are all just kind of wherever. lol

My poor clove polyps... yesterday I performed a vermetid-ectomy. There was one right on the side of my biggest polyp. And none of them have opened up since... :( I really hope it recovers. It's one of my favourite corals and it was growing so well before the vermetid showed up.

IMG_6208.JPG.c9aafa836f2694c365ccc1c7cf559cce.JPG

Godspeed, tiny polyps. :(

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Madcat said:

It's about 30-40 min away depending on traffic (the 401... yuck). I've been meaning to go check it out and the guy I was picking up the corals from lives 5 min away! His place is a frag shop itself - like Aladdin's cave full of glittering treasures. Seriously, two tanks full of frags and a jaw-dropping DT. Super nice guy - we talked corals for awhile. I've just about been talked into a hairy toadstool. He had one in his DT that I really liked. I'm pretty sure I'll be buying from him again either way!

Fragbox - I wanted to see all their $5 zoa frags and ended up not leaving with any. Some were just closed up. I ended up picking the acan as my "bargain bin" purchase. It's like a sad puppy. It needs love!

It's fluffing up though, look!

IMG_6212.JPG.43e0cc700e95640dcca45d66bbcf74f4.JPG

Not sure what the outlook is for the stung head. I'll wait and see. You can see it has some baby heads coming in. :)

Ricordea is puffing up nicely too!

IMG_6210.JPG.7750c2718c190625309a4563ab70de81.JPG

I'm always so pleased when things seem happy to be in my tank.

I gotta move the blasto colony to somewhere I can take better pics of it. I wanted it shielded from the light a bit at first - my other two didn't like strong light when I first put them in.

IMG_6209.JPG.ff3c4b5bf2fcba970e8efca2cb5c9b7c.JPG

Zoas are still thinking about opening up:

IMG_6213.JPG.39f333fbb02dff62bfff6341c4b06c7c.JPG

I'm really curious to see if the bottom-most one will open. It's a mystery polyp that came on the acan frag.

FTS:

IMG_6217.JPG.131470233600cdef20ecac8055a8f284.JPG

I'm moving the tank into my bedroom soon and it'll be facing the other way, so I'm planning on redoing my scape. So the corals are all just kind of wherever. lol

My poor clove polyps... yesterday I performed a vermetid-ectomy. There was one right on the side of my biggest polyp. And none of them have opened up since... :( I really hope it recovers. It's one of my favourite corals and it was growing so well before the vermetid showed up.

IMG_6208.JPG.c9aafa836f2694c365ccc1c7cf559cce.JPG

Godspeed, tiny polyps. :(

Where is that guy exactly? I'm from Montreal but do go through the 401 sometimes to visit family (in Hamilton) sounds like the kinda place I want to check out B)

2 hours ago, Melfy77 said:

Where is that guy exactly? I'm from Montreal but do go through the 401 sometimes to visit family (in Hamilton) sounds like the kinda place I want to check out B)

Private seller operating out of his home. (Highly recommend. It's like being in a coral store with a personal guide, lol.) I found him on the Facebook group for GTA reefers (GTAR). There's a lot of people there who sell privately for very reasonable prices. :)

I was doing some tank cleaning just now and I kicked up a lot of dust. Guess what I saw... vermetid webbing hanging off my clove polyps!! Okay, I have HAD IT with these mother-effing snails on my mother-effing frag plug. So I pulled out my razorblade...

I got too cocky, guys. I flew too close to the sun. I thought I'd gotten good at removing corals from frag plugs. I did it with 3/4 frags yesterday, including the zoas...! Well, the clove polyp heads I didn't potentially crush promptly got covered in super glue. I dunno. I did my best to salvage them... right now it looks like maybe 2 of the 5 heads could be okay. Maybe that's all I need. I dunno. :'(

I went back in my bedroom, full of sadness... and out of the corner of my eye I saw JEFF go swimming over to the clove polyps and start PECKING THEM. WHY. NOW THIS POOP-EATER HAS TO KICK ME WHEN I'M DOWN? WHAT WAS HE EVEN DOING? EATING THE SUPER GLUE??

I was ready to reach in there, pull him out, and throw him at the wall. But he was too fast. He swam like hell as soon as he saw me coming. We'll see...

• Sad 1
  • Wow 3

*sigh* Okay... here's the damage:

IMG_6218.JPG.20982f5f02599f909a9a3e1c4253d5f5.JPG

It looks like there's life in those bottom two polyps. One of them's not even facing the right way. I think the other two got covered in super glue. I don't even know what happened to the fifth head. I'm bummed! Like I said, this was one of my favourite corals, tiny bargain bin frag that it was. It was growing! But the vermetids were really bugging it. I had to do something. My fingers are crossed, but I'm already looking online for a new frag... now that I know I really like these guys, I might splash out if a nice green one shows up on Canada Corals or somewhere.

New zoas are settling in:

IMG_6221.JPG.2702ac5f23deeb85dfa3349c680b13b1.JPG

Mystery polyp on the bottom shows no sign of opening, though. Everyone else is at least partly open.

Lastly, here's Claudette being a cutey, as usual.

IMG_6225.JPG.ea93698be601f089d95f8acc2545f796.JPG

I still need to get a couple new friends for her!

• Like 3
24 minutes ago, Madcat said:

I'm at the LFS and facing a tough decision...

IMG_6250.thumb.JPG.23ec92d8eb05be608803216103882e94.JPG

What did you end up doing. It looks starved :(.

Clove polyps are impossible to kill lol. Mine kept ending up in some dark places and even then new polyps keep showing up :lol:. I've put it in my other tank. Looks very happy so far.

1 hour ago, Melfy77 said:

I resisted... it was so tiny, Jeff would probably molest it or something. You're right, it does look skinny. I went next-door and found another, chubbier clown goby and faced the same agonizing decision all over again, lol.

I'll post some of the pics I took in a bit! I left with a new scarlet hermie friend for Claudette, and two cerith snails. The algae cavalry has arrived!

• Like 3

Cerith snails are a great pickup, I love mine. Mine lay eggs every once in a while and I even think some of the babies have made it too since I have a few more than what I started with :lol:

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Melfy77 said:

Clove polyps are impossible to kill lol. Mine kept ending up in some dark places and even then new polyps keep showing up :lol:. I've put it in my other tank. Looks very happy so far.

I forgot to add: did you SEE my pic? They look so sad... :'( I hope you're right!

I thought I was going out again but I'm not, so here are pics!

Look at this cutey!! It has little whiskers! I forget what it was called. The pink one is some kind of anthias... I dunno what the yellow one is. I was just so fascinated by the whiskery guys.

IMG_6226.JPG.9ea636130572c763228cfa84f1ddf8dc.JPG

Dwarf angels (and baby tang? I should really look at the cards):

IMG_6230.JPG.27c8ee2ee66477b0b18fc4e7d27c6863.JPG

Another angel:

IMG_6246.JPG.5d0bd22839d15a51af0f87a8ccdcd526.JPG

Look at this guy! He's like a long Jeff. (And look at the scary crab behind him, whoa. I didn't notice that before, lol.)

IMG_6248.JPG.6d297121fe0014417b15c7f2cb51e3c0.JPG

...Beautiful... most majestic... no words... should have sent a poet...

IMG_6232.JPG.7fd520f7877fe8a532594959fe4edea7.JPG

*dreamy sigh* I liked that guy (a scooter blenny) even more than I liked the red scooter blenny, which I thought was my dream fish! But the red scooter was cute too.

IMG_6235.JPG.5858e4dd692341fea3250fc9b9ee6391.JPG

Porcupine puffers:

IMG_6238.JPG.73afc20d04b63bdc60792fbc2e43ea4c.JPG

I went next-door and found another small child!!

IMG_6252.JPG.952ec3f808ce9ec7fb045b8ba3cc970f.JPG

I liked this one even more! He looked chubbier and happier. Man, you read that clown gobies only get 1.5", but you can't visualize just how tiny and sweet they are until you see one. They look like a little piece of hard candy. I resisted because I still haven't ruled out getting a husband for Puzzle. But I mean, look how little this chubby baby is. Surely they don't add TOO much bioload...? Or like, any bioload...? He's just so LITTLE...

This is the store where I got Jeff, btw! He lived in one of those tiny compartments too. The guy there asked me how my TSB is doing and I said "He's good! I call him Jeff. He's kind of a weirdo." And he just nodded knowingly and said, "I know a Jeff who's a real weirdo, too." :lol:

They also had $60 "premium" snowflake clowns with almost no black edging on their stripes and tiny waves. Puzzle is SO much prettier and cost almost half that, with no tax. *preen*

Okay, here are my new kids! The hermie is SO wee. I think I'll call him Marius. When I got my first hermies and snails, they were my first-ever livestock and my attempt at acclimating them was kind of ham-fisted. But today it went much more smoothly and these guys barely blinked. Actually, as soon as the crab hit the sand, he rolled himself right side up, and started stuffing his face with sand crumbs! Precious baby! :wub:

IMG_6260.JPG.a72229377215667932530ed90d4c3a80.JPG

Really hope the ceriths enjoy all my algae! That's my big zoa on the rock btw, not a bristleworm. :lol:

• Like 6
fishfreak0114

That store has some nice livestock!  Are the whiskery fish goat fish?  Yellow clown gobies are so adorable, I really want one if I get a second tank.  Glad to hear the acclimation of your new charges went well :)

14 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

That store has some nice livestock!  Are the whiskery fish goat fish?

Yes! Maybe! I really wish I could remember. It LOOKS like a goatfish but I don't think that was on the tag. This store often labels their fish with an unusual name and doesn't give a scientific one so I've been bamboozled before. They had the yellow clown labeled as "Okinawa coral goby", for example. Anyway, now I'm mad I didn't know goatfish were a thing because goats are one of my favourite animals. No wonder I loved those fish!

ETA: Another pic of the whiskerys:

IMG_6227.JPG

• Like 3
7 hours ago, Madcat said:

I'm at the LFS and facing a tough decision...

IMG_6250.thumb.JPG.23ec92d8eb05be608803216103882e94.JPG

7 hours ago, Melfy77 said:

Awww poor baby looks like my blenny LiveAquaria sent. :(

Also LOL at the LFS person's comment about knowing a weirdo named Jeff! :lol:

1 minute ago, Lula_Mae said:

Awww poor baby looks like my blenny LiveAquaria sent. :(

Also LOL at the LFS person's comment about knowing a weirdo named Jeff! :lol:

Right? He looked so unsurprised. Like, Jeffs, am I right? :lol:

Before I go to bed: I moved the tank into my bedroom!! (With help, of course.) I love it! Now I can see my baby Puzzle from my bed! And now Jeff can watch me change instead of watching me pee. Wait...

• Haha 4

All moved over!

IMG_6273.JPG.dd811b0d73c4cbb2d86b29f5eab31d5b.JPG

Reverse FTS:

IMG_6274.JPG.3f23a0f020c19fc6cb6abaec7ea17a2e.JPG

Look at those creepy macro tentacles!!

I just finished re-scaping. Haven't glued anyone down but I'm pretty sure I like where my corals are sitting. Everyone is pissed off from being moved around, including Jeff, who refused to come out of his rock hole, while I was moving the rocks.

IMG_6359.JPG.768840448f13bdcb0088f1dc7a09c25c.JPG

View from my bed:

IMG_6364.JPG.0e44d24bf451e6101d6308ada67b8b4d.JPG

I can still get my magnet cleaner behind the rocks, but they're on a slight angle so I can see into the "cave" a bit from my bed. I like it pretty good. Nothing on what some people here have produced... I like to think when my corals are grown and filling the tank out a bit it'll look a lot cooler. B)

I couldn't find one of the ceriths. Hoping he was on the live rock piece with Claudette. Pale Snail made a run for it while I was scaping and I think narrowly avoided being squished! Would that have been the worst thing, though? Who knows. If only I'd squished Jeff, I could have run back to the LFS for that clown goby.... sigh.

ETA: I just noticed my arch was longer before... I'm gonna have to do some more fiddling tomorrow.

• Like 3

Found the cerith snail, he was chilling with Claudette. Everyone survived the rescape. :)

Two questions:

My one main acan head is solid red. Why do its butts look nothing like it??

IMG_6370.JPG.68bc14841740e3be616d515997897305.JPG

The other acan's baby heads are identical mini-mes. Why does this one look so different? They're growing pretty well so I'd like to think they're not sick or anything.

Second thing... these amphipods are making me nervous. There's so many and when I turned on my light today I saw several crawling around on my new zoas (most of which still haven't opened up - are they being irritated, perhaps?). What do I do if they start munching on my zoas or something?

The mighty hunter stalks his prey...

IMG_6381.JPG.d0d9d549d60bfedd1c4aeaef69313cd7.JPG

There's pods all over my new zoas every time I look, even when the lights are on. The closed ones are looking a bit aggravated. The green speck is a pod:

IMG_6380.JPG.e0facd7c31cdf0a8c48cbab7044bf6d3.JPG

(Not a nudibranch, I'm quite sure. I see a bunch of them, on the sandbed and the zoas. Not all of them are green though.) Initially it seemed like all the red zoas were going to open up, but now none of them except those two will. Am I right to blame the pods? Every time I look, they're on the zoas.

I think I'd better call time of death on my clove polyps. :( It seemed like one head was looking a bit better, but today I found the frag rock on the sandbed (my hermies were crawling around the main rock and probably knocked it off. I won't hold it against them). The one good head is gone and it looks like there's no life left in the remaining ones. They're fading to nothing. I'm sorry, clove polyps. :( I'll see if Canada Corals gets any nice ones in tomorrow.

12 hours ago, Madcat said:

The mighty hunter stalks his prey...

IMG_6381.JPG.d0d9d549d60bfedd1c4aeaef69313cd7.JPG

There's pods all over my new zoas every time I look, even when the lights are on. The closed ones are looking a bit aggravated. The green speck is a pod:

IMG_6380.JPG.e0facd7c31cdf0a8c48cbab7044bf6d3.JPG

(Not a nudibranch, I'm quite sure. I see a bunch of them, on the sandbed and the zoas. Not all of them are green though.) Initially it seemed like all the red zoas were going to open up, but now none of them except those two will. Am I right to blame the pods? Every time I look, they're on the zoas.

I think I'd better call time of death on my clove polyps. :( It seemed like one head was looking a bit better, but today I found the frag rock on the sandbed (my hermies were crawling around the main rock and probably knocked it off. I won't hold it against them). The one good head is gone and it looks like there's no life left in the remaining ones. They're fading to nothing. I'm sorry, clove polyps. :( I'll see if Canada Corals gets any nice ones in tomorrow.

Hm try a Lugol's iodine dip?  Pods can irritate corals sometimes when they are big like that.

Sorry about the cloves :( they're pretty easy to get as a frag, I got mine for 5$. Hermits can get annoying sometimes, making small unglued frags fall<_<

My Fluval 13.5 has been running for cliee to a month, and things are looking good. Ammonia and nitrites at 0, nitrates between 1 and 2 ppm. And here is my newest addition to this tank. A wheeler goby and a pistol shrimp:D he's a little skinny but eats well. I spot feed it by their burrow.:rolleyes:

20170908_091952.jpg

• Like 4

They ATE MY ZOAS.

IMG_6512.thumb.JPG.ae87567931f91a637067322ff2d87083.JPG

I'm this close to running to the LFS for that scooter blenny. I want these things GONE.

I don't have Lugol's. I'm doing a Coral Revive dip. But a couple heads are just gone. I'm PISSED.

• Wow 1
29 minutes ago, Madcat said:

They ATE MY ZOAS.

IMG_6512.thumb.JPG.ae87567931f91a637067322ff2d87083.JPG

I'm this close to running to the LFS for that scooter blenny. I want these things GONE.

I don't have Lugol's. I'm doing a Coral Revive dip. But a couple heads are just gone. I'm PISSED.

Don't get a scooter, it'll die of starvation once the pods are gone :(

Some gobies eat pods, actually most fish do!

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, Melfy77 said:

Don't get a scooter, it'll die of starvation once the pods are gone :(

Some gobies eat pods, actually most fish do!

It might eat prepared foods. I could rehome it if it doesn't.

I don't know what other fish is a pretty sure bet aside from six-lines, which I didn't see at either LFS. And I don't want one growing up and bullying Jeff and Puzzle. (I do like that they eat worms though.)

I've seen some people say they added a clown goby to their tank and pod populations dropped. I would LOVE an excuse to go back for that yellow clown, but what if he doesn't eat them and I'm still looking for a solution, now with 3 fish in my tank? This is so frustrating.

• Madcat changed the title to Madcat's Fluval Evo 13.5 - new shrimpy