inTank Media Baskets

Madcat's Fluval Evo 13.5 - new shrimpy

Madcat

20 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

You can use superglue on the vermetid.  And the aiptasia being tiny, you can probably do the same for them though you could also try peroxide.  For ones not on corals you can use a torch lighter to burn them off. :)

I'll be honest... I tried using superglue underwater once before. It went okay. Mostly not good. And I wrecked my tube of superglue. I can TRY it... not having to buy new things is always a plus...

20 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Jeff is...special. :lol: Maybe trade Pale Snail for a different one that doesn't abuse Kinky Snoot?  Maybe KS is suffering from battered snail syndrome and doesn't want to be seen in public with all those bruises.

Noooo :lol:

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, Lugmos12 said:

@Madcat I used a nail clipper on my vermetid :D

Welp. That'd do it, I guess. :lol:

Jeff is an idiot. I tried him with flakes again today... he watched most of them sail past his face. Eventually I realized His Highness only wanted to eat the SMALL flakes. So he ate a couple of those, and then I tried him with Puzzle's baby pellets, since those are nice and tiny. Three times I squirted a pellet in his direction, and all three times he spat it away. Not spat it OUT... it never entered his mouth. He literally darted up, went "Pah!" and sent it flying. "I reject your nutritious sustenance!"

I just feel like his tummy should be fatter. I'm failing him! Why do you have to be so weird, Jeff?! (Is it because I named you Jeff? Be honest.)

Meanwhile Puzzle's swooping in grabbing the big flakes like, "Eat ALL THE THINGS!" Puzzle is best fish.

• Haha 3
12 hours ago, Madcat said:

I'll be honest... I tried using superglue underwater once before. It went okay. Mostly not good. And I wrecked my tube of superglue. I can TRY it... not having to buy new things is always a plus...

Noooo :lol:

Pull the rock out and superglue it.  I have also tried supergluing underwater and it mostly ruined a perfectly good tube of superglue. :lol:

And as an alternative to returning Pale Snail, maybe you can give him a kinky snoot too so they'll both have kinky snoot identity crises and stop fighting because they aren't sure who's who!

(Clearly I need to go to bed. Ha!)

• Haha 1
11 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Pull the rock out and superglue it.  I have also tried supergluing underwater and it mostly ruined a perfectly good tube of superglue. :lol:

And as an alternative to returning Pale Snail, maybe you can give him a kinky snoot too so they'll both have kinky snoot identity crises and stop fighting because they aren't sure who's who!

(Clearly I need to go to bed. Ha!)

:lol: I'm so glad someone is equally incompetent with superglue underwater. They make it look so easy on Youtube!

Do you guys think Jeff looks thin?

IMG_6171.JPG.e70ccb383d4d34f995fc005ee610f2ca.JPGIMG_6175.JPG.190ef8da19d74c99b4100344ee2ed997.JPG

All he seems to eat consistently is mysis. Part of me is like, You're a herbivore, stupid! But the other part of me will feed him mysis every day if that's what it takes to make him fat. I want him to be healthy and I'm paranoid that he's thin.

No worries about Puzzle, obviously. lol

I thought I had a pic of my acan's two butts from when I got it, but maybe not. Anyway, the butts are getting bigger and one is starting to colour up!

IMG_6165.JPG.74eb32311003e8690a3dcc3e79793cee.JPG

My blasto's second head is getting huge. It grabbed some mysis from me and looked super weird all closed up on the side of the skeleton.

IMG_6168.JPG.8958876f4e4fc687fc2ab00bdd852e78.JPG

(Vermetid on the left side. Grr.)

This is the state of poor Kinky Snoot's snoot currently. It should be a tube and it looks like it got cut open right up the middle. He fell over by himself (not the first time) and I got a good look at it. I feel so bad for him but I don't know what to do.

IMG_6183.JPG.3d93b3246fa429c1092a39f03591306b.JPG

And here's Peanut Butter being good and beautiful as usual! He's almost never this photogenic.

IMG_6151.JPG.5e0f031e0de5df9aa609458073de136d.JPG

• Like 2
12 hours ago, Madcat said:

:lol: I'm so glad someone is equally incompetent with superglue underwater. They make it look so easy on Youtube!

Do you guys think Jeff looks thin?

IMG_6171.JPG.e70ccb383d4d34f995fc005ee610f2ca.JPGIMG_6175.JPG.190ef8da19d74c99b4100344ee2ed997.JPG

All he seems to eat consistently is mysis. Part of me is like, You're a herbivore, stupid! But the other part of me will feed him mysis every day if that's what it takes to make him fat. I want him to be healthy and I'm paranoid that he's thin.

No worries about Puzzle, obviously. lol

I thought I had a pic of my acan's two butts from when I got it, but maybe not. Anyway, the butts are getting bigger and one is starting to colour up!

IMG_6165.JPG.74eb32311003e8690a3dcc3e79793cee.JPG

My blasto's second head is getting huge. It grabbed some mysis from me and looked super weird all closed up on the side of the skeleton.

IMG_6168.JPG.8958876f4e4fc687fc2ab00bdd852e78.JPG

(Vermetid on the left side. Grr.)

This is the state of poor Kinky Snoot's snoot currently. It should be a tube and it looks like it got cut open right up the middle. He fell over by himself (not the first time) and I got a good look at it. I feel so bad for him but I don't know what to do.

IMG_6183.JPG.3d93b3246fa429c1092a39f03591306b.JPG

And here's Peanut Butter being good and beautiful as usual! He's almost never this photogenic.

IMG_6151.JPG.5e0f031e0de5df9aa609458073de136d.JPG

Compared to my new blenny, Jeff looks like a porker! lol.  But I have read that these small "herbivore" blennies are also very fond of meaty preparations.  Have you tried any other meaty foods for him?

1 hour ago, Lula_Mae said:

Compared to my new blenny, Jeff looks like a porker! lol.  But I have read that these small "herbivore" blennies are also very fond of meaty preparations.  Have you tried any other meaty foods for him?

I haven't. Maybe I could try baby brine shrimp? He's so picky... but I guess it's pretty much a guarantee that Puzzle and the LPS would like it even if Jeff doesn't, lol. As long as you don't think he's skinny!

2 hours ago, Madcat said:

I haven't. Maybe I could try baby brine shrimp? He's so picky... but I guess it's pretty much a guarantee that Puzzle and the LPS would like it even if Jeff doesn't, lol. As long as you don't think he's skinny!

I'm honestly not sure, he might be a little skinny.  My little guy came with a concave belly. :huh: So I haven't got much to compare it to! :lol:

fishfreak0114

I'd say Jeff looks about the same as mine :) I've noticed that despite them being herbivores they REALLY love meaty foods.  Mine really likes San Francisco Bay Mussel if you can find that.  I'm almost out and I don't know where to buy more!  Peanut Butter is adorable :wub:

Damnit damnit damnit!!! Canada Corals updated 40 min ago and they got dragon's breath macro this week. I was about to rush to the store and it's already sold! I'm so upset! :(

• Sad 1
fishfreak0114
20 minutes ago, Madcat said:

Damnit damnit damnit!!! Canada Corals updated 40 min ago and they got dragon's breath macro this week. I was about to rush to the store and it's already sold! I'm so upset! :(

Bummer!  Next time I place an order I guess I'll be checking right when it updates to see what goodies show up.  And your post just made me realize why there was nothing new when I looked yesterday!  I've got my days all mixed up!

34 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

Bummer!  Next time I place an order I guess I'll be checking right when it updates to see what goodies show up.  And your post just made me realize why there was nothing new when I looked yesterday!  I've got my days all mixed up!

I'm kicking myself for not calling them and asking them to hold a piece for me. At least I didn't go all the way out there. Still, I may never recover from this heartbreak. :(

• Sad 1

I found another creepy crawly in my tank! The lights were all off, and I went into my bathroom and turned on the lights (but not the tank lights) and saw it. It was a wormy thing on the glass, greenish and smooth, maybe 7mm long, 1mm wide, and once the lights in the room were on, it started creeping down the glass toward the sand. I was able to get a very short, out-of-focus video just before it disappeared into the sand, but it really just looks like a tiny greenish-brownish worm slithering into the sand. I don't like it. And I can't ID it. Anyone have any thoughts, before I try to upload the video? I tried to look for it with the turkey baster but it was gone. I hate worms. (I know, I know; I'm in the wrong hobby.) I want its head!

(Also, to help get over my heartbreak over the dragon's breath, I ordered some red grape caulerpa. It's coming all the way from the UK so will probably look like crap when it gets here, but it was cheap and hopefully it'll bounce back. It's not the same... :tears: But it's still pretty.)

ETA: Looking up worm ID pics is giving me the willies. (I'm quite phobic... definitely in the wrong hobby.) Anyway, I'm no closer - it didn't have legs, and no visible tentacles like a spaghetti worm. Just the plainest little thing imaginable. I hate it.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

As much as it may creep you out I'd say leave the worm in as it's probably just a beneficial scavenger. I have loads of random worms in my tank some of which I have no clue what they are but they all seem to be detritivores. I can also see a bunch of little worm trails/tunnels under the sand bed against the glass. 

fishfreak0114
13 hours ago, Madcat said:

I found another creepy crawly in my tank! The lights were all off, and I went into my bathroom and turned on the lights (but not the tank lights) and saw it. It was a wormy thing on the glass, greenish and smooth, maybe 7mm long, 1mm wide, and once the lights in the room were on, it started creeping down the glass toward the sand. I was able to get a very short, out-of-focus video just before it disappeared into the sand, but it really just looks like a tiny greenish-brownish worm slithering into the sand. I don't like it. And I can't ID it. Anyone have any thoughts, before I try to upload the video? I tried to look for it with the turkey baster but it was gone. I hate worms. (I know, I know; I'm in the wrong hobby.) I want its head!

(Also, to help get over my heartbreak over the dragon's breath, I ordered some red grape caulerpa. It's coming all the way from the UK so will probably look like crap when it gets here, but it was cheap and hopefully it'll bounce back. It's not the same... :tears: But it's still pretty.)

ETA: Looking up worm ID pics is giving me the willies. (I'm quite phobic... definitely in the wrong hobby.) Anyway, I'm no closer - it didn't have legs, and no visible tentacles like a spaghetti worm. Just the plainest little thing imaginable. I hate it.

Wait, we can order macro from other countries?  Might I ask were you got yours from?  Sorry but I have no clue on the worm. 

16 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

Wait, we can order macro from other countries?  Might I ask were you got yours from?  Sorry but I have no clue on the worm. 

Apparently! I looked up "macroalgae" on ebay.ca, not expecting much, and a bunch of results came up. A lot are unnecessarily expensive. This is what I got: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Red-Grape-Botryocladia-Kelp-Caulerpa-Marine-Macro-Algae-Starter-Culture-/182581931046?var=&hash=item2a82bb2c26:m:mkiPZvGBVcCxCuLYm_DYlng

"We do post internationally through royal mail, the delivery times are longer (around 3 - 5 working days average for Europe, 5 - 7 working days for the rest of the world) and we post out international Monday to Thursday. Due to the longer delivery time the macro algae will take longer to recover when you recieve it, you can expect it to lose all its bubbles during transport due to the length of times and to go slightly pale. These bubbles will grow back when placed in your tank under the correct conditions."

Boo worm. I guess he can stay... till I find him again.

Let me tell you guys about this idiot Jeff. He's pecking everything in the tank so I put some seaweed in. He immediately CHARGES it and grabs it and rips it right in half. Seaweed goes flying. Jeff gets startled and hides. I fished out the bulk of it and I was like THIS IS WHY YOU CAN'T HAVE ANYTHING NICE, JEFF. I put a new piece of seaweed in and Jeff kept hiding for awhile. Finally he rises up behind it, Jaws-style, eyes me nervously, and takes a dainty nibble. I'm like, "Oh, so you are capable of not eating like an idiot." Then he goes to his poop spot, poops, heads back over. Powerhead blows his poop over and he goes "Food!" and grabs it. Then spits it back out. Then sees it sailing away and goes "Food!" and tries to grab it again.

For the record, it also went sailing past Puzzle, and he just looked at it like, "Nope." Puzzle eats everything, and even he knows better than to eat poop even once. Jeff, why are you like this? You're the worst.

• Haha 4
1 minute ago, Madcat said:

Apparently! I looked up "macroalgae" on ebay.ca, not expecting much, and a bunch of results came up. A lot are unnecessarily expensive. This is what I got: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Red-Grape-Botryocladia-Kelp-Caulerpa-Marine-Macro-Algae-Starter-Culture-/182581931046?var=&hash=item2a82bb2c26:m:mkiPZvGBVcCxCuLYm_DYlng

"We do post internationally through royal mail, the delivery times are longer (around 3 - 5 working days average for Europe, 5 - 7 working days for the rest of the world) and we post out international Monday to Thursday. Due to the longer delivery time the macro algae will take longer to recover when you recieve it, you can expect it to lose all its bubbles during transport due to the length of times and to go slightly pale. These bubbles will grow back when placed in your tank under the correct conditions."

Boo worm. I guess he can stay... till I find him again.

Let me tell you guys about this idiot Jeff. He's pecking everything in the tank so I put some seaweed in. He immediately CHARGES it and grabs it and rips it right in half. Seaweed goes flying. Jeff gets startled and hides. I fished out the bulk of it and I was like THIS IS WHY YOU CAN'T HAVE ANYTHING NICE, JEFF. I put a new piece of seaweed in and Jeff kept hiding for awhile. Finally he rises up behind it, Jaws-style, eyes me nervously, and takes a dainty nibble. I'm like, "Oh, so you are capable of not eating like an idiot." Then he goes to his poop spot, poops, heads back over. Powerhead blows his poop over and he goes "Food!" and grabs it. Then spits it back out. Then sees it sailing away and goes "Food!" and tries to grab it again.

For the record, it also went sailing past Puzzle, and he just looked at it like, "Nope." Puzzle eats everything, and even he knows better than to eat poop even once. Jeff, why are you like this? You're the worst.

I am literally laughing out loud at this story.  Admit it, without Jeff, your life and tank would be ever so much more boring! :lol:

1 minute ago, Lula_Mae said:

I am literally laughing out loud at this story.  Admit it, without Jeff, your life and tank would be ever so much more boring! :lol:

I guess having two fish as well-behaved as Puzzle wouldn't be all that interesting. PUZZLE, by the way, normally leaves the seaweed alone, but when I was putting the first piece in, he swam up to nibble politely at it from my hand. He is like a sweet little puppy. I don't even know what Jeff is like. A dumb poop-eating idiot.

• Haha 2
2 minutes ago, Madcat said:

I guess having two fish as well-behaved as Puzzle wouldn't be all that interesting. PUZZLE, by the way, normally leaves the seaweed alone, but when I was putting the first piece in, he swam up to nibble politely at it from my hand. He is like a sweet little puppy. I don't even know what Jeff is like. A dumb poop-eating idiot.

Yeah I don't think clowns are really herbivores.  Puzzle sounds awesome!  Jeff sounds...well.  Jeff is Jeff I suppose lol.

New corals! New corals! Including...

IMG_6198.JPG.7d50d15ba3c3da7caa2d670c024e957a.JPG

A ric! I have a ric! :wub:

I picked up the baby blasto colony and zoas I bought earlier this week, then swung by Fragbox just to check it out... too tempting. I may have ended up with more corals than I should have. But a ric!!!

And this poor baby. It needed me!

IMG_6200.JPG.1e434497f9961b1805b4f6714ea89e77.JPG

It's so beautiful and just a little stung. Hopefully it gets better.

• Like 2
  • Madcat changed the title to Madcat's Fluval Evo 13.5 - new corals

Such a cool tank!!! IMO Jeff looks fine;) blennies are not supposed to have a fat belly, otherwise how would they fit in their favorite teeny tiny hole lol. Mine won't eat when I feed it, so i'm guessing it's eating pods, algae and leftovers...but it's skinny so we'll see. I added a purple firefish because a) they look amazing!!!! and B) I thought it might convince Mr tailspot to get out there...which it totally did!!!:D and the LFS had a panda goby!!! OMG the smallest fish ever lol. I put it near a pocillopora frag (which probably feels like a colony to him because of its size lol). Hoping the little guy pulls through

20170902_125441.jpg

• Like 1
fishfreak0114
13 minutes ago, Melfy77 said:

Such a cool tank!!! IMO Jeff looks fine;) blennies are not supposed to have a fat belly, otherwise how would they fit in their favorite teeny tiny hole lol. Mine won't eat when I feed it, so i'm guessing it's eating pods, algae and leftovers...but it's skinny so we'll see. I added a purple firefish because a) they look amazing!!!! and B) I thought it might convince Mr tailspot to get out there...which it totally did!!!:D and the LFS had a panda goby!!! OMG the smallest fish ever lol. I put it near a pocillopora frag (which probably feels like a colony to him because of its size lol). Hoping the little guy pulls through

20170902_125441.jpg

That fish is awesome!  I might have to do some reading about those....

26 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

That fish is awesome!  I might have to do some reading about those....

They don't really have a good survival rate i'm afraid :( the guy who sold it was not happy when his boss told him they had this fish because he knows how small and tricky they can be, but thought of me since I have a small tank perfect for the little guy:D

• Madcat changed the title to Madcat's Fluval Evo 13.5 - new shrimpy