Pod Your Reef

New nano build

Lugmos12

I'm considering the following for stock. I love the look of soft corals; not a big fan of the bony/stone looking types. But my knowslwge of this is minimal as of now.

branching hammer

elegance/torch coral

green torch coral

acanthastrea

xenia

green polyp leather

2 clowns

maybe a crab or some shrimp?

Torches have long stinging sweepers so make sure there is plenty of room between them and everyone else.

Elegance is a very difficult coral.

Acans are fairly easy. Need moderate  light and moderte flow. 

Xenia  are nice. Grow and spread fast. Easy to drag.

2 clowns and a shrimp in a 14g will work

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Torches have long stinging sweepers so make sure there is plenty of room between them and everyone else.

Elegance is a very difficult coral.

Acans are fairly easy. Need moderate  light and moderte flow. 

Xenia  are nice. Grow and spread fast. Easy to drag.

2 clowns and a shrimp in a 14g will work

Elegance corals are so elegant lol :haha:

Cleaning the curved corners is easy. I had a mag cleaner, don't remember brand, got it at one of the big box pet stores. Had a curved side just for that purpose. I only had to break out a razor blade for the hard stuff. The not curved glass still looks way better though. 

I think I'm gonna go with a Fluval EVO 13.5g JUST beause it's AIO and has everything you need for an initial setup. I'll rather start there and learn my way up.

• Like 1

The Nuvos are AIO too, aren't they?  And that deal you found for $95 with lights was pretty sweet!  But the Evo 13.5 is a nice tank too.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

The Nuvos are AIO too, aren't they?  And that deal you found for $95 with lights was pretty sweet!  But the Evo 13.5 is a nice tank too.

The deal sold. It was CL and about 1 hour drive from me so I couldn't get to it on time.

25 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

It's a nice tank. Lighting is good for lps  and softies.

You might want to ditch the filter sponge and use filter floss.

Yea I used filter floss on my freshwater. The sponges suck.

All in all, the EVO has what I NEED to start a basic tank. and I've seen some pretty nice setups lol

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Lugmos12 said:

The deal sold. It was CL and about 1 hour drive from me so I couldn't get to it on time.

Yea I used filter floss on my freshwater. The sponges suck.

All in all, the EVO has what I NEED to start a basic tank. and I've seen some pretty nice setups lol

Ah, bummer.  Well, the EVO will be a very nice starter setup.  Check Petco to see if they are still on sale on their website!

If buying used isn't out of the question, try ebay in conjunction to craigslist.  You may be able to buy some of the smaller items, and even lights at a steep discount, and they'll ship it to you so no travel issues.  Just make sure that any electronics you buy has a return policy for broken merchandise.

9 minutes ago, moose2823 said:

If buying used isn't out of the question, try ebay in conjunction to craigslist.  You may be able to buy some of the smaller items, and even lights at a steep discount, and they'll ship it to you so no travel issues.  Just make sure that any electronics you buy has a return policy for broken merchandise.

I'm on CL and Offer Up every.single.day lol

14 hours ago, Lugmos12 said:

Found a Fluval EVO 13.5 for $90 on CL...wish me luck lol

Even better than the Petco sale! :lol:

@Lula_Mae @Clown79

How risky is it to cycle a tank with just dechlorinated water as opposed to RO/DI water? Because I have my tank, live sand, and live rock here and I was tempted to just fill it up with dechlo water.

32 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

It is a very bad idea.

It is indeed (after some quick google searches; I'm a newbie btw). I bought some distilled water to test leaks/sealing in the tank. Will let sit overnight and hopefully get some live rock to start cycling tomorrow or this weekend.

• Like 1

I wouldn't do it. The nutrients and crap in the tap water will cause you issues in the very near future. 

Distilled water is pure water. It's the same as using ro/di so you can  use it indefinitely for tank set up, water changes, top up.

53 minutes ago, Lugmos12 said:

It is indeed (after some quick google searches; I'm a newbie btw). I bought some distilled water to test leaks/sealing in the tank. Will let sit overnight and hopefully get some live rock to start cycling tomorrow or this weekend.

I've used distilled for 9 years, you can mix the salt in and voila! you have saltwater!

What clown said about tap water is true.  Tap is no good in our salty tanks!