Jump to content
Lugmos12

New nano build

Recommended Posts

Lugmos12

Hey yal, I'm new to the forums. I've been keeping freshwater tanks since about 2010. I have a 65 gallon freshwater with goldfish and 5 gallon planted betta.  I want to start a nano reef tank, probably a 10g or 15g - maybe 20g. I don't want to start too small (5 gallon) because I know that I will want to upgrade eventually. As for stock, I want to have a pair of percula or ocellaris clowns, a few soft corals, and maybe (and this is a big maybe) an anemone down the road. I want a minimalist look. I've looked at IM Nuvo series, the Fluval EVO, and nano Cubes as potential options. I'm just undecided at this point. I also don't want to rush it and regret anything later. What I do know for sure is that I don't want to run pass $400-500 in budget.

 

If anybody has any tips or recommendations on what brands, lights etc. let me know.

Share this post


Link to post
Lula_Mae

:welcome: to Nano-Reef!  I'm planning a tank in the same size range and also want a pair of clowns and softies.  Do you know whether you have a preference for tall versus longer, shallower tanks?  A couple great options might be either the Nuvo 10 or the Evo 13 (or whatever it is lol) which I recently saw on Petco for around $140 on sale!  The light it comes with would probably be adequate for softies as well, for the Nuvo 10 you could try something like a Kessil A80 or a PAR bulb (like the one I've got from Reef Radiance, or the one several on here have, the tuna blue bulb from ABI) in a lamp fixture for lower-cost options.  You may need to upgrade the pumps and add a powerhead to either of these tanks for improved flow, and I believe there's several options for that.  Both are pretty sleek looking tanks and good for starting with.  If you decide down the road to add a nem, you can always upgrade the lights.  If you need to spend less on your rock, you can try Reef Cleaners or Bulk Reef Supply for dry rock, and add a bacterial supplement and ammonia to get things started cycling.  Fortunately, softies are usually pretty affordable.  With one of the two I've listed, I think you could totally do a tank for under $400-500, at least for initial set up and a few coral frags!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1891Bro
5 hours ago, Lugmos12 said:

Hey yal, I'm new to the forums. I've been keeping freshwater tanks since about 2010. I have a 65 gallon freshwater with goldfish and 5 gallon planted betta.  I want to start a nano reef tank, probably a 10g or 15g - maybe 20g. I don't want to start too small (5 gallon) because I know that I will want to upgrade eventually. As for stock, I want to have a pair of percula or ocellaris clowns, a few soft corals, and maybe (and this is a big maybe) an anemone down the road. I want a minimalist look. I've looked at IM Nuvo series, the Fluval EVO, and nano Cubes as potential options. I'm just undecided at this point. I also don't want to rush it and regret anything later. What I do know for sure is that I don't want to run pass $400-500 in budget.

 

If anybody has any tips or recommendations on what brands, lights etc. let me know.

Don't budget. Whatever you plan, you spend more. Just write the checks bro. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Nidilsky

I opened a new "tank fund" checking account bout a month ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Lugmos12
46 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

:welcome: to Nano-Reef!  I'm planning a tank in the same size range and also want a pair of clowns and softies.  Do you know whether you have a preference for tall versus longer, shallower tanks?  A couple great options might be either the Nuvo 10 or the Evo 13 (or whatever it is lol) which I recently saw on Petco for around $140 on sale!  The light it comes with would probably be adequate for softies as well, for the Nuvo 10 you could try something like a Kessil A80 or a PAR bulb (like the one I've got from Reef Radiance, or the one several on here have, the tuna blue bulb from ABI) in a lamp fixture for lower-cost options.  You may need to upgrade the pumps and add a powerhead to either of these tanks for improved flow, and I believe there's several options for that.  Both are pretty sleek looking tanks and good for starting with.  If you decide down the road to add a nem, you can always upgrade the lights.  If you need to spend less on your rock, you can try Reef Cleaners or Bulk Reef Supply for dry rock, and add a bacterial supplement and ammonia to get things started cycling.  Fortunately, softies are usually pretty affordable.  With one of the two I've listed, I think you could totally do a tank for under $400-500, at least for initial set up and a few coral frags!

What I didn't like about the EVO was that it comes all together so it seems like a hassle to upgrade separate parts. I saw the Fluval Flex 15g and that appealed more to me; has more space in the back as well. I want a cube-like look for sure. I don't like the wider tanks due to space limitations lol

 

30 minutes ago, Nidilsky said:

I opened a new "tank fund" checking account bout a month ago.

I actually have a 29 gallon sitting around so I'm gonna sell it to add it to the 'fund'.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Clown79

Deciding on if you like cube or rectangular tanks will help.

 

I have 1 of each. I prefer long to cube for  nano tanks.

 

Fluvl who are nice

Innovate  marines are nice

 

You could also do standard  with hang on filter which  would be cheaper.

 

The being said, this isn't a cheap hobby.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Lugmos12
3 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Deciding on if you like cube or rectangular tanks will help.

 

I have 1 of each. I prefer long to cube for  nano tanks.

 

Fluvl who are nice

Innovate  marines are nice

 

You could also do standard  with hang on filter which  would be cheaper.

 

The being said, this isn't a cheap hobby.  

I know it isn't cheap :lol: (on a side note I got my 65 gallon WITH stand for $124 new from a brand pet store and the manager gave me the lights/canopy for free lol). I just don't want to jump all in; want to take it slow and learn my way with saltwater/reef keeping. I've found that freshwater is a piece of cake once the cycle is established. I'm leaning toward the Flex since I like the box look. What turned me off from the nano cubes was the curved edges.

Share this post


Link to post
Clown79

The flex lighting won't work for corals. The evo is designed for corals

 

Innovative marine don't have curved edges. Biocubes do 

Share this post


Link to post
Lugmos12
3 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

The flex lighting won't work for corals. The evo is designed for corals

 

Innovative marine don't have curved edges. Biocubes do 

For sure. What I didn't like about IM was the lack of proprietary cover. So every brand/tank has it's series of pros/cons.The curved edges was a big turn off for me. There was someone with selling a bunch of IM tanks in my area 10g 20g - I'll see if I'm able to see some of them in person.

Share this post


Link to post
Lula_Mae
28 minutes ago, Lugmos12 said:

What I didn't like about the EVO was that it comes all together so it seems like a hassle to upgrade separate parts. I saw the Fluval Flex 15g and that appealed more to me; has more space in the back as well. I want a cube-like look for sure. I don't like the wider tanks due to space limitations lol

 

I actually have a 29 gallon sitting around so I'm gonna sell it to add it to the 'fund'.

If you like the cube shape better I'd recommend the IM 10 gallon.  The flex is interesting but wondering how the bowed front would look as a reef.  The bowed front would be a deal-breaker for me lol.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Lugmos12
2 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

If you like the cube shape better I'd recommend the IM 10 gallon.  The flex is interesting but wondering how the bowed front would look as a reef.  The bowed front would be a deal-breaker for me lol.

I found this video on youtube: Flex 15 Reef

Share this post


Link to post
Lula_Mae
4 minutes ago, Lugmos12 said:

I found this video on youtube: Flex 15 Reef

Interesting.  I wonder how it works long-term?  And if he has issues cleaning the glass due to the curve? 

Share this post


Link to post
Lugmos12
1 minute ago, Lula_Mae said:

Interesting.  I wonder how it works long-term?  And if he has issues cleaning the glass due to the curve? 

I saw another video review where someone pointed that out but didn't have any con/pro about it. Speak of the devil, I found a 29g nano cube on CL for about 200 LOL :blink:

Share this post


Link to post
Clown79

A lot of complaints on biocubes is the curve because of the viewing  of tank and cleaning.

 

Good point Lula_Mae- cleaning  the curve on the flex would be a pain.

 

You'd have to replace the lighting  which will cost.

 

If you can get a used IM  20g  that would  be great. Very nice tanks

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Lugmos12

I think I found the tank I'm going for: Nuvo Fusion Peninsula 14G

It sits right between a smaller (5g) and a bigger (20g) so I'll satisfy my temptation to go bigger in the future.

 

@Lula_Mae would a PAR bulb work for this as well?

Share this post


Link to post
Lula_Mae
2 hours ago, Lugmos12 said:

I think I found the tank I'm going for: Nuvo Fusion Peninsula 14G

It sits right between a smaller (5g) and a bigger (20g) so I'll satisfy my temptation to go bigger in the future.

 

@Lula_Mae would a PAR bulb work for this as well?

That's a good choice, and since that's the tank that was used for the current Nano-Reef contest, there's lots of inspiration to go around!  A PAR bulb (or two) might work over this tank with softies, but you may need a higher wattage, or may need two of them to get enough spread to cover the whole tank (still pretty budget option though!).  I was thinking a pair of PAR bulbs over the tank I'm tentatively planning.  Seems higher than 12w can be hard to find though.

Share this post


Link to post
Clown79

Coral compulsion par38 35 watt has a 24" spread. Full spectrum and dimmable.

 

Its the only par bulb I have found available in 35watt and with that spread. 

The 14g is under 24" so it should  work.

 

I used a par38 on my 15g, it had shadowing but it was a cheaper bulb with 60 degree optics.

 

Other options are aquamaxx nemolight

Ai  Prime

Kessil 

Nanobox 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Lugmos12
3 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Coral compulsion par38 35 watt has a 24" spread. Full spectrum and dimmable.

 

Its the only par bulb I have found available in 35watt and with that spread. 

The 14g is under 24" so it should  work.

 

I used a par38 on my 15g, it had shadowing but it was a cheaper bulb with 60 degree optics.

 

Other options are aquamaxx nemolight

Ai  Prime

Kessil 

Nanobox 

 

do I need special mounts for these bulbs?

Share this post


Link to post
Lula_Mae
4 minutes ago, Lugmos12 said:

do I need special mounts for these bulbs?

You'll want something like a task lamp or architect's lamp.  This is the one I got.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Lugmos12
29 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

You'll want something like a task lamp or architect's lamp.  This is the one I got.

Awesome. I just added that to my list. Thank you. i can't wait :haha:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Lula_Mae
19 minutes ago, Lugmos12 said:

Awesome. I just added that to my list. Thank you. i can't wait :haha:

Always exciting when a build starts coming together! :D

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Clown79

Ya, the par38 are great because you can use any light fixture. They just screw in like a regular bulb.

Just ensure the fixture can hold the weight, the bulbs are heavier than standard  lightbulbs.

 

Building the tank is  super exciting:D and addictive:blink:

Share this post


Link to post
Lula_Mae

Yes, they are heavier.  I can confirm the light I linked holds a 12w bulb with no issues and could probably handle a slightly larger one.

Share this post


Link to post
Clown79

Thats Good. 

I had a hard time finding  a desk lamp that could hold the weight that wasn't $150. 

Share this post


Link to post
Lula_Mae

Yeah it's been a years-long search for me, and I finally just decided to give it a try lol.  I'm glad it worked out though.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recommended Discussions

×
×
  • Create New...