seabass

Live Rock Garden

Matteo

Pretty sweet

• Thanks 1

Amphrites

I love succulents, there's an incredible variety out there and they have some of the most beautiful shapes, colors, and flowers found in nature. Cool project.

• Thanks 1

seabass

Thanks everyone!!

We've tried to pick the ones which look a little like macroalgae and corals.  I feel the sea turtle helps reinforce this, versus just being a desert theme.

Last year we used cactus soil, which didn't work out as well.  I think it provided too much drainage and the plants didn't get enough water.  This year we went back to regular potting soil.

Amphrites

My personal blend is 20% pine mulch, 25% pea gravel, 35% topsoil, 20% potting soil. Works great for tropicals and for most succulents/orchids. Just throw a bit of ironite  around the plants before watering every 6 months or so.

• Like 1

seabass

Here's how they look now (before the first frost).

100919a.jpg

100919b.jpg

100919c.jpg

• Like 5

Tired

Looks great! Any problems from the salt in the rock, though? 

• Thanks 1

seabass

This rock was never actually used in a tank.  I had purchased it for a project that I abandoned before I used it, and it was just taking up room.

Tired

But isn't it ocean rock in the first place, formerly in the ocean with its many tons of salt? 

kimberbee
1 hour ago, seabass said:

Here's how they look now (before the first frost).

100919c.jpg

What do you do with them in the winter, or do you not get a lot of snow? I wantes to start a succulent garden but didn't want to deal with having to bring it all inside over winter or letting it all die. 

Also what's the large one on the right in the pic above?

• Like 1

Ratvan
32 minutes ago, Tired said:

But isn't it ocean rock in the first place, formerly in the ocean with its many tons of salt? 

The majority of succulents are naturally salt tolerant. 

8 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

What do you do with them in the winter, or do you not get a lot of snow? I wantes to start a succulent garden but didn't want to deal with having to bring it all inside over winter or letting it all die. 

I have the same issue. Snowfall is a bitch. I take cuttings and grow them indoors as insurance. The ones outside I cover with a plexiglass cover and cross my fingers

Amphrites
2 hours ago, Tired said:

Eh, most of it is just one form of limestone or another, plants still grow in Florida after-all.

Tired

Yes, but live rock is porous. If you put it in saltwater, it absorbs that water, and retains the salt when it dries out. Probably it's easier on the plants to have it outdoors in the frequent rain, but you'd want to be careful of the fact that the rock does form 'containers' of a sort, which will keep some of the salt from being rinsed out. I suspect you'd have problems growing most ferns and mosses on it, for example, though I suppose succulents are pretty tolerant of nonsense in their substrate.

seabass
4 hours ago, Tired said:

Don't know, haven't tasted it.

tumblr_ngmoyqjo8g1s6c2sxo1_500.gif

4 hours ago, kimberbee said:

We don't bring them in.  Just a few will survive the winter.  We pick out more in the spring.

I'm not really sure what that one is.  I help pick them out, but it's mostly if I think it looks like a coral or macroalgae.

• Like 1