Triggerfish In my reef? w/ shrimp?

DRZL-sauras

sup,

Im upgradin to a 36g mini-reef....and over at reefcentral ive seen many people w/ success at keeping triggers with reef and inverts . my question is can this occur in my 36G BF tank as it is more confined. the smallest ive seen at RC was a 55. Contrary to popular belief there are some triggers which are not as aggresive. And some triggers are even considered reef safe, Crosshatch, Saragassum, blue throat, niger and a couple other ones. I just need to know from my fellow "nano"ers as i know tank size might come into play with how pissed offthe trigger might get. Any and all experience based responses are welcome.

DRZL

1. triggers get too big for a 29

2. niger triggers seem to be the ones people are having the most success with

3. there is one guy on the threads who keeps a mantis shrimp w/ damsels, but feeds the mantis reguarly

Moral of the three points: just because there are one or two flukes doesnt mean youll have the same luck!

Nano-nemo i disagree on the fluke since ive seen about 8 tanks under 90 gallons with several triggers...this will be one..most likely tiny in a 29 by itself..i also do have a 75 FOWLR if anyting goes wackky. Neon that fish is AWESOME!!..thats the one I really like..how much did it set you back? how big is he? hows it going w/ him? any shrimp in your tank?

On the "it can't be" note. In my area everyone is about big tanks...they take nano's like A "fluke". I mean if it wasnt for people taking a step in the opposite direction there wouldnt even be nano or mini tanks.

Cheyendra with all due respect you have a neon gooby that can get to 2.5 inches in a 5G hex? how much different is it?

not trying tto be rude just trying to make a comparison

For one, a neon goby in a 5 ga is very different from a trigger in a 29. A neon is a small fish that sits in one spot and waits to clean while ALL triggers are omnivores (often coralivores) who forage over a wide range.

As far as a trigger in a reef tank, if it works out, great, but it is a fluke. Try it if you must, but five will get you ten that you will have one fat trigger and be short shrimp, snails, crabs and coral.

Originally posted by DRZL-sauras

Nano-nemo i disagree on the fluke since ive seen about 8 tanks under 90 gallons with several triggers...this will be one..most likely tiny in a 29 by itself..i also do have a 75 FOWLR if anyting goes wackky.

well, if your stuck on the idea who i am to stop you? A whole 8 tanks, wow, that must be scientific fact then, eh?

8 tanks might not be scientific fact. but if you want to get technical...in the behavior patterns of how a hippo tang acts in the wild. Its swimming pattern extend a minimal 20 sq ft area from its central "home". Yet what is this I see a hippo in a 46g?:o Wow you my friend are a pioneer in behavioral reconditioning and i applaud your extensive research and care and ability to retrain an animal to accept your ample living spaces :flower:...BRAVO.. give me a break practice what you preach buddy.:rolleyes:

PS: sorry if i mean to break the mold.:nerd:

Neon thanks for the pic i just needed to know i anyone else had tried to break the Non-trigger reef rule. I was going to do a mandarin but enough people have busted that one down, besides those little pods eat all the crap in my tank. why would i want to get rid of them? PODS ARE FRIENDS, NOT FOOD!

Regal tangs only swim in 20 sq ft? That provides enough algae to feed a 1 foot herbivore...that dog dont hunt my man. Regals have been known to groupl in grazing shoals, mostly stealing from damsels, then return home.

Yet what is this I see a hippo in a 46g?

Very well said :D

Anyways I don't think the trigger will eat you corals, and if it's small it will leave the shrimp alone as well (no gaurentees of course). The problem is that when they get larger, the 29 obviously isn't going to be enough room, and as they mature they will also become more aggresive and many will devour the shrimp they once ignored. Another good calm trigger is the Pinktail triggerfish.

Originally posted by DRZL-sauras

8 tanks might not be scientific fact. but if you want to get technical...in the behavior patterns of how a hippo tang acts in the wild. Its swimming pattern extend a minimal 20 sq ft area from its central "home". Yet what is this I see a hippo in a 46g?:o Wow you my friend are a pioneer in behavioral reconditioning and i applaud your extensive research and care and ability to retrain an animal to accept your ample living spaces :flower:...BRAVO.. give me a break practice what you preach buddy.:rolleyes:

PS: sorry if i mean to break the mold.:nerd:

now that your off your soap box; the hippo tang is in a 125

:rolleyes:

OK 1st thing 1st.

Doc shake

you see that word minimal? that means at least in laimens terms, get familiar. And you see how i say "central home" Im talking about the innermost perimiter of its territory as there are many more layers of area they call home, sometimes overlapping with others. "minimal" and "central home" here work in unision to give you an idea of the least amount, also i might have left out the word "juvenile" since that is what most the fish we have are. If i was talking about foot long tangs, obviously i would recompensate for its larger size. On the juvenile note, yes they shoal but as they age they become much more reclusive and exclusive thus eliminating your "shoaling foot longs". Please read up a bit more b4 making "educated" guesses.

In a thread named peppermint hell 8-10-2004 02:11 PM

Originally posted by nano-nemo

very possibly, i now have a green spotted mandarin in my 46 w/ 2 peppermints and everything is fine, but i also feed a small amount everyday.

Nano-nemo

I smell bullshhhh....in a previous thread you are speaking of a mandarin in your 46 and "peppermints killers" attacking it. and what is in your pic?(mandarin) and whats that thing next to it? (blue tang)... and a earlier post you are also happily talking of the weird friendship a tang and a MANDARIN are having....ummm...hmmmm....seems this 125 gallon/46 gallon...is suffering from the stench of manure. I mean i dont mind if you have a tang but dont lie and then criticize others for having "a caged bird" so to speak. Ive seen happy tangs in tanks 25+ feed right offf your hand..heck mine will even let me pet it. Its all up to what YOU think is right. Hope your 125 / 46G is well and next time you post remember that all it takes to know someones history is that little search button.

Well thats that and i will no longer pay mind to that Noise...i just posted to know of peoples experiences with triggers and reefs, so please no speculation.

Neon your right about it not being the only cool tempered. Ive been looking up alot more there are about 6 that are cool...but im just worried if theyll try to take out coco-worms feather dusters and other misc inverts other than shrimp...also how long have you had him? what size was he when he started?

Six-line their is actually a pinktail in my area but he is about 6 in already and the LFS wants $80 for him. But i agree they are sweet looking. I think i am most likely going to do either pinktail or a bluethroat as they are usually more reasonably priced and have nice coloration. there is the crosshatch but i dont have 200 to shell out for a fish. but talk about sweet!

I think i might just end up doing a 36G bowfront...ques thou does this tank have a center brace dont want it takin away from my light

I don't want to step on any toes, but a 29 is way too small for any trigger unless your just bringing a juvenile up to size. A niger trigger (usually reef safe) gets 2 FEET long. Because of their size and bioload from eating a lot, the minimum for the small species is 55 gals, and the larger up to 200 gals. That is for the trigger only!

56 gal US Aquarium

Live rock

Undulated trigger (eats like a pig)

Where in are you getting that hippos stop shoaling with age? Show me a REAL referance, in "laimens" terms, a peer- review journal, not internet conjecture.

As far as my "educated" guess, DRZL, if you want to get into an academic pi**ing contest, I get the feeling that I will win.

Drzl,

theres 2 Feather dusters(one right outside his cave)in the tank

he was about the same size when got'em(we had'em for about 4 months)

Archived