Coral Vue Hydros

jstj0sh's Newbie Nuvo 20 - Tank Move Complete!!

jstj0sh

11 minutes ago, schgr.cube said:

Oh for sure! I'll have to start a wait list lol, I have a lot of people who are interested already.

I don't blame em!! Can't wait to see all those zoa frags in your tank grow out. They're so simple, but add so much color and character. 

I have decided for sure on dabbling in the world of gorgonians. I found a cool video on youtube and the guy has an awesome photosynthetic gorg called "Tracy Morgonian" :lol: now on the hunt to get some! 

13 hours ago, jstj0sh said:

I don't blame em!! Can't wait to see all those zoa frags in your tank grow out. They're so simple, but add so much color and character. 

I have decided for sure on dabbling in the world of gorgonians. I found a cool video on youtube and the guy has an awesome photosynthetic gorg called "Tracy Morgonian" :lol: now on the hunt to get some! 

The Tracy Morgonian is beautiful.  Gena has one in her tank.  I had a frag of it for a hot minute before my tank suffered a nuclear meltdown last spring and I lost virtually everything.  Except the poop brown formerly seafoam green palys. :rolleyes: Lesson learned, always have carbon and a HOB on hand if your tank's not an AIO!

Also look at Grube's gorgonian--Gena has one of those and I just got one that hasn't extended polyps yet but they are also gorgeous.  And a great source of other gorgs is KP Aquatics--quite a few members here have gorgs from them.

Also, that tank in the vid = goals. :lol:

• Like 1
On 8/26/2017 at 0:10 AM, Lula_Mae said:

The Tracy Morgonian is beautiful.  Gena has one in her tank.  I had a frag of it for a hot minute before my tank suffered a nuclear meltdown last spring and I lost virtually everything.  Except the poop brown formerly seafoam green palys. :rolleyes: Lesson learned, always have carbon and a HOB on hand if your tank's not an AIO!

Also look at Grube's gorgonian--Gena has one of those and I just got one that hasn't extended polyps yet but they are also gorgeous.  And a great source of other gorgs is KP Aquatics--quite a few members here have gorgs from them.

Also, that tank in the vid = goals. :lol:

I swear, you are just the Resource Queen on the forum!! Thanks so much. I'm probably going to be placing an order with KP really soon! The only place I have found that sells the Tracy Morg is ReefGen and they only sell to stores :unsure: Isn't it though?! Definitely one of the best softie tanks ever! 

To anyone who has seen the news, Hurricane Harvey has been battering the Texas cost. I live in North West Houston and it has been raining since late Friday night all the way til now. The power was out for about 2 1/2 hours yesterday, thank goodness for battery backups. I had my Hydors running and was prepared to plug the return pump in for 15-30 minutes if the outage lasted any longer. Everyone in Houston and the other areas being affected - good luck and be safe.

• Like 3
haleschristine

Glad you're safe! Has your area had any flooding? I'm supposed to be moving to Katy on Friday and not too sure if that's going to be delayed.... 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, jstj0sh said:

To anyone who has seen the news, Hurricane Harvey has been battering the Texas cost. I live in North West Houston and it has been raining since late Friday night all the way til now. The power was out for about 2 1/2 hours yesterday, thank goodness for battery backups. I had my Hydors running and was prepared to plug the return pump in for 15-30 minutes if the outage lasted any longer. Everyone in Houston and the other areas being affected - good luck and be safe.

Hows it going?!

• Like 1
9 hours ago, haleschristine said:

Glad you're safe! Has your area had any flooding? I'm supposed to be moving to Katy on Friday and not too sure if that's going to be delayed.... 

We hadn't up until last night. I don't know about the main roads, feeder roads, or highways. The neighborhood I live in, that access roads tend to flood quickly, but houses stay dry 9/10 times. Katy is a beautiful area, hope y'all like it there! Let's keep our fingers crossed the rain slows down and the water drains quickly so you guys can move on in!

9 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

stay safe!  saw drone videos of the damage and it's devastating =(

9 hours ago, HarryPotter said:

Hows it going?!

Thanks for your concern, everyone. There aren't a lot of words to describe whats going on. The roads I drive every day are completely submerged. More family and friends have been evacuated and are in shelters then those who are still in their own homes. It's just devastating. Last night I went to bed without much going on around us, and then woke up to this: 

36726753371_6a90359a22_b.jpg

36866424215_1b05f09b2b_b.jpg

36470090840_729dbfa7b5_b.jpg

36470098090_04118930b8_b.jpg

36866432475_438d98340d_b.jpg

I hate to sound dramatic, but just keep Houston in your prayers!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Wow 4
8 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

Glad you are safe so far. Absolutely praying for everyone 

7 minutes ago, schgr.cube said:

That's insane... glad you are safe and sound though. Keeping you all in my thoughts. 

Thank you, both! 

It's not letting me put it in the post, but here is a crazy "Before/After" video from NYTimes: 

https://www.nytimes.com/video/us/100000005394951/before-and-after-harvey.html

Be safe and I hope this subsides in the next few days ( rain at least ). I can not even wrap my head around 40+ inches of just rain. 

Power is still up in your house?

Holy cow!  I lived in a town in SC that got 22" of rain in 24 hours with loads of flooding across the state but I think this tops that! 

As far as the gorg, I think @gena  said she got hers from Unique Corals.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Lula_Mae said:

Holy cow!  I lived in a town in SC that got 22" of rain in 24 hours with loads of flooding across the state but I think this tops that! 

Yep, Unique Corals for the Morgonian.

Oh my gosh, I hope that water doesn't rise any further.  Keep us updated if you can!

haleschristine
4 hours ago, jstj0sh said:

We hadn't up until last night. I don't know about the main roads, feeder roads, or highways. The neighborhood I live in, that access roads tend to flood quickly, but houses stay dry 9/10 times. Katy is a beautiful area, hope y'all like it there! Let's keep our fingers crossed the rain slows down and the water drains quickly so you guys can move on in!

Thanks for your concern, everyone. There aren't a lot of words to describe whats going on. The roads I drive every day are completely submerged. More family and friends have been evacuated and are in shelters then those who are still in their own homes. It's just devastating. Last night I went to bed without much going on around us, and then woke up to this: 

36726753371_6a90359a22_b.jpg

36866424215_1b05f09b2b_b.jpg

36470090840_729dbfa7b5_b.jpg

36470098090_04118930b8_b.jpg

36866432475_438d98340d_b.jpg

I hate to sound dramatic, but just keep Houston in your prayers!

Hope the water starts going down soon! My family lives in Conroe and they didn't have any flooding until the city started releasing the Lake around 3am. 

Praying for you guys!

3 hours ago, DaveFason said:

Be safe and I hope this subsides in the next few days ( rain at least ). I can not even wrap my head around 40+ inches of just rain. 

Power is still up in your house?

Power is still up for now! So thankful for that. Those few hours when my tank was on the battery backup were so nerve-racking :unsure:

3 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

2 hours ago, gena said:

Yep, Unique Corals for the Morgonian.

Oh my gosh, I hope that water doesn't rise any further.  Keep us updated if you can!

Thanks ladies! I'm going to have to place an order after the hurricane as a survival present to myself lol 

Water level has gone up about 3 inches since I posted those photos this morning. We'll see how the afternoon goes..

1 hour ago, Christopher Marks said:

Wow @jstj0sh, stay safe amigo! We're all worried about everyone caught up in this :( 

Thanks Christopher! We are worried too.

31 minutes ago, haleschristine said:

Hope the water starts going down soon! My family lives in Conroe and they didn't have any flooding until the city started releasing the Lake around 3am. 

Praying for you guys!

So sorry to hear that. The release of the rivers has been catastrophic to so many people. Keep praying, the city needs it.

• Like 3
15 minutes ago, jstj0sh said:

Thanks ladies! I'm going to have to place an order after the hurricane as a survival present to myself lol 

That's the spirit :happy:.  There is always a bright side (coral :wub:). 

Praying for you and everyone down there in this disaster. 

• Thanks 1
6 hours ago, gena said:

That's the spirit :happy:.  There is always a bright side (coral :wub:). 

Praying for you and everyone down there in this disaster. 

So true, Gena!

All this Harvey mess has given me time to sit and stare at my tank :lol: I'm really really happy with the colors and how things are growing. I am getting a little tired of the limited spread and features of this Kessil though.. might have to talk to @DaveFason about a light for this tank..

Time for a little photo dump: 

36702991752_57cd2545f9_b.jpg

36065390493_981b56193a_b.jpg

36874084635_a0c524905a_b.jpg

36874086905_371514b500_b.jpg

36065390863_624d016ef3_b.jpg

36065391483_7d3dc512d2_b.jpg

• Like 3
5 hours ago, jstj0sh said:

So true, Gena!

All this Harvey mess has given me time to sit and stare at my tank :lol: I'm really really happy with the colors and how things are growing. I am getting a little tired of the limited spread and features of this Kessil though.. might have to talk to @DaveFason about a light for this tank..

Time for a little photo dump: 

36702991752_57cd2545f9_b.jpg

36065390493_981b56193a_b.jpg

36874084635_a0c524905a_b.jpg

36874086905_371514b500_b.jpg

36065390863_624d016ef3_b.jpg

36065391483_7d3dc512d2_b.jpg

Tank looks amazing!  I hear they're predicting up to 50" more rain for the Houston area which is mind-boggling.  Hope you and your tank make it ok.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Tank looks amazing!  I hear they're predicting up to 50" more rain for the Houston area which is mind-boggling.  Hope you and your tank make it ok.

Thank you ma'am :happy: The tank and I are just fine! Today was a huge blessing.

7 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

How are you doing this morning @jstj0sh, all safe?

100% A-ok today! I woke up and the water had receded ~2 feet or so. The rain stopped. And about 3 hours ago the sun came out!! 

My fiancé and I took some time today to gather clothes and shoes up and take them to one of the MANY local relief organizations. I have never seen a community come together like this. Everyone with a truck and boat is out and about helping total strangers. We stuck around and helped a few families gather some belongings and arrange places for them to stay. We were so blessed to not get a drop of water in our home, but the majority of people have had their things completely washed away.  Friday we are going to a local animal shelter to help with anything and everything we can. 

A badass LFS here is offering free RO/DI and pre-mixed saltwater on Friday too to anyone in the area who may not have access to a RO/DI system right now. I thought that was amazing!

Thanks Christopher and everyone else on here for checking up on me and the tank. Such a little act goes a long way! 

• Like 3
  • jstj0sh changed the title to jstj0sh's Newbie Nuvo - Cyano outbreak

So I've been MIA lately, but I'm back and ready to spill my secret: I have been getting a little lazy with maintenance and as a result, I had a cyano outbreak :wacko:

Basically I was just letting the tank run on autopilot. My corals were growing like crazy, my fish were fat and happy, and all was right in the world! 

Work started getting super crazy after all the hurricane mess and slowly I started paying a lot less attention to the tank. No water changes. Not a whole lot of cleaning. Still feeding, but that was about it. I even took a break from NR :o 

Then early last week I started seeing some red stuff popping up on the sand. I kind of did the whole "ignore it and it will go away" thing for about 3 or 4 days, all the while the cyano was spreading like crazy. So today I finally decided to battle it! 

36474260613_3f261b1bd6_b.jpg

36474261593_f712a5ff59_b.jpg

Operation Get Cyano The Hell Out was only possible thanks to my little sister! 

36474313343_3ee4d6e4f8_b.jpg

Now, I'm thinking about going lights out for 2-3 days and hoping everything will be ok. Also, no more getting lazy for me :rolleyes:

36474314423_ac4cba5f99_b.jpg

Oh, @gena & @Lula_Mae, I finally got a gorg! Should be here tomorrow!! 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, jstj0sh said:

So I've been MIA lately, but I'm back and ready to spill my secret: I have been getting a little lazy with maintenance and as a result, I had a cyano outbreak :wacko:

Basically I was just letting the tank run on autopilot. My corals were growing like crazy, my fish were fat and happy, and all was right in the world! 

Work started getting super crazy after all the hurricane mess and slowly I started paying a lot less attention to the tank. No water changes. Not a whole lot of cleaning. Still feeding, but that was about it. I even took a break from NR :o 

Then early last week I started seeing some red stuff popping up on the sand. I kind of did the whole "ignore it and it will go away" thing for about 3 or 4 days, all the while the cyano was spreading like crazy. So today I finally decided to battle it! 

36474260613_3f261b1bd6_b.jpg

36474261593_f712a5ff59_b.jpg

Operation Get Cyano The Hell Out was only possible thanks to my little sister! 

36474313343_3ee4d6e4f8_b.jpg

Now, I'm thinking about going lights out for 2-3 days and hoping everything will be ok. Also, no more getting lazy for me :rolleyes:

36474314423_ac4cba5f99_b.jpg

Oh, @gena & @Lula_Mae, I finally got a gorg! Should be here tomorrow!! 

Hope the cyano clears up soon!  What kind of gorg did you get, that's exciting!  I discovered LiveAquaria sells Grube's from their ORA facility in Florida (can do a search for Grube's to bring it up). :)

• Like 1
On 9/17/2017 at 4:04 PM, Lula_Mae said:

Hope the cyano clears up soon!  What kind of gorg did you get, that's exciting!  I discovered LiveAquaria sells Grube's from their ORA facility in Florida (can do a search for Grube's to bring it up). :)

That's super cool. I just looked. They are so nice :D

To be honest with you, I'm still waiting to find out what kind of gorg this is, maybe someone on here can help me ID it. My buddy got it from his friend who was taking his tank down and said it has grown way too much and he broke me this piece off for $5 :o

After about 5-10 minutes, it's polpys were out and about.

36500840893_e625d452b8_b.jpg

36500841883_af814d743c_b.jpg

37123898846_46c0f88cb9_b.jpg

(Sorry for the floaters in the water, I had rustled the sand up some)

• Like 2
1 hour ago, jstj0sh said:

That's super cool. I just looked. They are so nice :D

To be honest with you, I'm still waiting to find out what kind of gorg this is, maybe someone on here can help me ID it. My buddy got it from his friend who was taking his tank down and said it has grown way too much and he broke me this piece off for $5 :o

After about 5-10 minutes, it's polpys were out and about.

36500840893_e625d452b8_b.jpg

36500841883_af814d743c_b.jpg

37123898846_46c0f88cb9_b.jpg

(Sorry for the floaters in the water, I had rustled the sand up some)

No idea, but it's pretty!