inTank Media Baskets

jstj0sh's Newbie Nuvo 20 - Tank Move Complete!!

jstj0sh

On 7/18/2017 at 1:42 PM, jesseatam said:

I love my ceriths and have made them the staple of my CUC. I have both florida and dwarfs which I ordered from reef cleaners. In my 30 gallon I have 7 florida ceriths and many dwarf ceriths, if I had to guess a number I'd say around 30. The dwarf ceriths seems to mostly hang out in the sand and on the glass while the florida ceriths seem to be more adventurous in venturing onto the rock work while also cleaning the sand and glass. Other CUC I have include an emerald crab, a blue leg hermit, 2 nerite snails, I think 8 dwarf planaxis snails, some hitchhiker brittle stars, and a single nassarius vibex (I have terrible luck with these surviving).

None of my CUC touch the sand bed. They seem to go from rock to glass and thats it. It would be great to get a few critters in the sandbed and keeping things aerated down there. You haven't had any hermits kill your snails? 

1 hour ago, jstj0sh said:

None of my CUC touch the sand bed. They seem to go from rock to glass and thats it. It would be great to get a few critters in the sandbed and keeping things aerated down there. You haven't had any hermits kill your snails? 

Yeah ceriths like to bury themselves in the sand so they should help a bit when it comes to that. My hermit actually hitchhiked in with my first batch of nassarius snails and then proceeded to kill them off, but they didn't seem to have taken shipping well. Same thing with the most recent batch but this time I have a survivor who seems healthy. Other than the nassarius he killed my largest cerith for its shell but that's my own fault since and didn't have spares for him, wouldn't be surprised if he helped himself to a dwarf here and there either as a find some empty shells occasionally but that could also be my hitchhiker pistol. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Nice looking tank. I really like the rock work

Thanks Clown, I appreciate it. I constantly am fighting the urge to rework everything in the tank, so hearing things like this every now and then is nice lol 

I'm a little self conscious with my reef-photography skills right now, but here's the best top down shot I could get. Couldn't really fit the mushroom and acan garden in the frame <_< Also the fish know when the pumps go off and I'm standing over, it's feeding time, so they were spazzing out! 

IMG_7753.JPG

13 hours ago, jstj0sh said:

How about a strombus? Best sandbed cuc ive had ever aside from a sea cucumber 

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, gogeta said:

How about a strombus? Best sandbed cuc ive had ever aside from a sea cucumber 

3 minutes ago, gogeta said:

Also tank is going along really well! 

Thank you!! And those are the big Tiger Conch right? I might run by the LFS and see if they have any or a cucumber - I had been thinking about one of these guys for a while. Thanks for the recommendation. 

38 minutes ago, jstj0sh said:

Thanks Clown, I appreciate it. I constantly am fighting the urge to rework everything in the tank, so hearing things like this every now and then is nice lol 

I'm a little self conscious with my reef-photography skills right now, but here's the best top down shot I could get. Couldn't really fit the mushroom and acan garden in the frame <_< Also the fish know when the pumps go off and I'm standing over, it's feeding time, so they were spazzing out! 

IMG_7753.JPG

I think most of us have to fight the urge to change things. I've changed my aquascape 3 times!

Tank shots are hard.

Look into making a tank down container. 

They are tank down port hole. You can buy them too.

I use an acrylic container I have.

Just now, jstj0sh said:

Thank you!! And those are the big Tiger Conch right? I might run by the LFS and see if they have any or a cucumber - I had been thinking about one of these guys for a while. Thanks for the recommendation. 

Maybe not a cucumber for these nano's. My last cucumber got pretty damn big. Too big for a nano but he was in a 220g.  And yeah strombus also go by conch. They are cool burrow in the sand at night and leave the stank eye out. 

21 hours ago, Clown79 said:

I think most of us have to fight the urge to change things. I've changed my aquascape 3 times!

Tank shots are hard.

Look into making a tank down container. 

They are tank down port hole. You can buy them too.

I use an acrylic container I have.

Haha so glad it's not just me! But that is a freaking great idea. Thanks for that. Do you shoot with your phone or a DSLR? 

21 hours ago, gogeta said:

Maybe not a cucumber for these nano's. My last cucumber got pretty damn big. Too big for a nano but he was in a 220g.  And yeah strombus also go by conch. They are cool burrow in the sand at night and leave the stank eye out. 

Haha the stank eye. The LFS didn't have any but I can call around to a few others. Mine recommended a handful of Ceriths and a handful of Nassarius. Everyone seems to have those in their tanks so idk why it has taken me this long to get on board lol 

Also, a little equipment news: my coworker is giving me his very lightly used Maxspect Gyre XF130! Can't wait til Monday! :lol:

I use my phone. I got rid of my dslr years ago and my camera is outdated.

The trick is to get an acrylic box, turn off all water movement. But the box directly on the water and take the pics through that

You're not alone. I've changed my aquascape 4 times and corals 2 times.

• Like 1

So it's been awhile since I checked in! The tank and all the inhabitants are doing very well! I also added a new fish to the tank. I wanted something small, low bio-load, and colorful. Everyone meet Chico:

IMG_7163.thumb.JPG.d45386299cb0f27f9a4756077912b818.JPG

He's a Purple Firefish and has the funniest, angriest face I've ever seen. He eats a lot and lives in my GSP. I also watched him interacting with my Clowns and he is not amused. They swam a little too close to his home a few times and he nipped a bit. Hopefully he doesn't become too much of an ass though. Everyone says firefish are passive so we will see. I also turned him into a meme: 

FullSizeRender.jpg.ecbd1fb1a8279423bc57e34fa93a624e.jpg

• Like 2
MockandRoll

Nice tank. Acans are my favorite LPS. I am always reworking my aquascape. I am currently gluing rocks together so I can add more room for coral placement. Also agree on adding conches. I added 1 and it was always buried and never cleaning. I added another and now both are always cleaning. Nothing like food competition to get the CUC working. Following. 

• Like 1

Man, I've been posting all over the forum, but neglecting my thread :blush: The tank is chugging along! I don't want to jinx anything so I won't say much, there's just lots of growth with all my coral and everyone seems super happy! All that has me pretty freakin stoked! 

I have been seeing lots of people adding macroalgae to their DTs and I'm starting to think adding a few pieces to mine might be cool too. Can anyone out there school me on the basics? After a google search, pieces like "Red Lightning Portieria"  and "Purple Cactus Gorgonian" pop up. Are their better pieces for beginners to start with? If macro is a bad idea, I have my eyes on some zoas.. a new garden might be in the works soon :rolleyes:

1 minute ago, jstj0sh said:

Man, I've been posting all over the forum, but neglecting my thread :blush: The tank is chugging along! I don't want to jinx anything so I won't say much, there's just lots of growth with all my coral and everyone seems super happy! All that has me pretty freakin stoked! 

I have been seeing lots of people adding macroalgae to their DTs and I'm starting to think adding a few pieces to mine might be cool too. Can anyone out there school me on the basics? After a google search, pieces like "Red Lightning Portieria"  and "Purple Cactus Gorgonian" pop up. Are their better pieces for beginners to start with?

Check the macroalgae subforum for some great resources to learn about macros.  There are some that are more difficult than others, but most are fairly straightforward.  Caulerpa species grow fast (sometimes too fast lol), and one of my favorite macros is dragon's breath--it's got orange tipping on the blades!  Haven't been able to keep mine alive yet, though (but most people don't have an issue).  Botryocladia is another cool one.  Also look for the marine plant book, an online resource with tons of info on macros.  There's lots of neat stuff out there!  Really, just do some reading and exploring, then pick a couple you like the look of and want to try. :)

• Thanks 1
57 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Check the macroalgae subforum for some great resources to learn about macros.  There are some that are more difficult than others, but most are fairly straightforward.  Caulerpa species grow fast (sometimes too fast lol), and one of my favorite macros is dragon's breath--it's got orange tipping on the blades!  Haven't been able to keep mine alive yet, though (but most people don't have an issue).  Botryocladia is another cool one.  Also look for the marine plant book, an online resource with tons of info on macros.  There's lots of neat stuff out there!  Really, just do some reading and exploring, then pick a couple you like the look of and want to try. :)

Shows how much I poke around on N-R, I didn't even know we had a Macroalgae subforum :blush: Thanks so much for all of this though. Believe it or not, but I was doing a little Aquarium Journal-stalking and your Red ribbon, Portieria and Purple ribbon gorg are what actually inspired me to finally start really looking into all of this haha 

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, jstj0sh said:

Shows how much I poke around on N-R, I didn't even know we had a Macroalgae subforum :blush: Thanks so much for all of this though. Believe it or not, but I was doing a little Aquarium Journal-stalking and your Red ribbon, Portieria and Purple ribbon gorg are what actually inspired me to finally start really looking into all of this haha 

Oh gosh, thanks!  Haha that's a big compliment! :blush: There've been some amazing macro tanks over the years that inspired me, like Yoshii's 10g, got2envy had one, Stella had a 12L I think it was, Weetabix had a 4g pico that had some amazing stuff going on and even got published!  And now she has her 40g MacGyver tank going, and Gena had a little 10g as well.  Those are all tanks I'd encourage you to find the journals for and read through--some are kind of long so it'll take time, but they had some amazing stuff going on and you can't beat reading about others' experiences!  And you're very welcome, I am glad I can help and also be a source of inspiration for someone! :happy:

• Thanks 1
20 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Oh gosh, thanks!  Haha that's a big compliment! :blush: There've been some amazing macro tanks over the years that inspired me, like Yoshii's 10g, got2envy had one, Stella had a 12L I think it was, Weetabix had a 4g pico that had some amazing stuff going on and even got published!  And now she has her 40g MacGyver tank going, and Gena had a little 10g as well.  Those are all tanks I'd encourage you to find the journals for and read through--some are kind of long so it'll take time, but they had some amazing stuff going on and you can't beat reading about others' experiences!  And you're very welcome, I am glad I can help and also be a source of inspiration for someone! :happy:

I have started reading through a few of these and I don't even know what to say! It's incredible. 

Thank you for the resource recommendations. Your tank is stunning - I can't wait to get to the level some of these reefers are at, including you! 

I am spending way too much time on N-R now... 598b2f4a4dedf_ScreenShot2017-08-09at10_49_29AM.thumb.png.14600378219894e0cb6fa813dff31ced.png

10 hours ago, jstj0sh said:

I have started reading through a few of these and I don't even know what to say! It's incredible. 

Thank you for the resource recommendations. Your tank is stunning - I can't wait to get to the level some of these reefers are at, including you! 

I am spending way too much time on N-R now... 598b2f4a4dedf_ScreenShot2017-08-09at10_49_29AM.thumb.png.14600378219894e0cb6fa813dff31ced.png

:blush:Thanks!  My tank feels pretty humble compared to a lot here.  But my browser looks a lot like that most days! :lol:

Can't help it when Salt Critters has a $10 sale.. placed an order for 6 new frags! 

Here is a sneak peak of one of them:

http://36489073515_9256b0c144_n.jpgchalice-coral-b63 by Joshua Litton, on Flickr

Also, I'm going to start using to Flickr to post pictures. Hopefully it helps me manage the quality of my future uploads fingerscrossed

Edit: It would help if I actually linked the picture correctly lol

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Hope it looks as good as in that actinics pic! :lol:

Not gonna lie, I was a little.. leery, when I placed my first order with them, but when everything arrived it looked just like in the pictures. Guess I'm a fan now :rolleyes:

• Haha 1
  • jstj0sh changed the title to jstj0sh's Newbie Nuvo - Cyano outbreak