SaltCritters.com

Seabass's Caribbean 40 Gallon

seabass

1 hour ago, slowngreen said:

What's some future plans?

I assume that my hermit crab finished off the ceriths while searching for food.  So over the holidays, I moved the hermit and my conch snail into my 100 gallon tank so they would get more food.

And now you can see the red gracilaria algae has turned white due to lack of nutrients.  The RFAs are fine and reproducing (they are like cockroaches, or bunnies or something). :lol:

I've been putting a little food in this tank several times a week.  All that's left seems to be bristle worms and RFAs.  It really needs more food.  But feeding more would probably just produce cyano.  So a shipment of snails, crabs, and fish are on the way.

Future plans consist of gorgonians, Caribbean zoanthids, and hopefully a few sponges.  I'd really like this to become more Caribbean looking.

• Like 5
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
On 1/14/2019 at 5:11 PM, seabass said:

011419a.jpg

I had to clean the sand bed, so I removed the baby RFAs.

011419b.jpg

Shot with UV flashlight.

011419c.jpg

Baby RFAs in cookie jar.

011419d.jpg

Cleaned.

011419e.jpg

Ready for LA order. :ninja:

Wow looks so nice seabass :smilie:

• Thanks 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
22 hours ago, seabass said:

011519a.jpg

A trio of Chalk Bass.

I like those fish. I was thinking of them for my 75 when it's finally wet and ready for life. They are cool little guys

• Like 1

Thanks.  I had my eye on chalk bass  for a year or two now.  But I'm never in much of hurry.

They look pretty small in my 40, they might look tiny in a 75.  Although I suspect they will grow another inch.

I was impressed with just how curious they have been.  When I first put them in, they went right to the sand bed (but I've seen videos of them swimming around, so I wasn't worried).  However, shortly they were out and about swimming around the tank.  They aren't constant swimmers like angelfish, but still pretty active.

I kind of wanted a group of fish, versus a royal gramma (which I was also considering).  I've read where they are fine in a small group if introduced ate the same time.  So far I haven't noticed any aggression.  My guess is that they've been together for a bit at Live Aquaria.  I noticed that after my order, they were sold out.

One of them was playing with bubbles from my heater yesterday.  Pretty happy with them so far.

• Like 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
8 minutes ago, seabass said:

Thanks.  I had my eye on chalk bass  for a year or two now.  But I'm never in much of hurry.

They look pretty small in my 40, they might look tiny in a 75.  Although I suspect they will grow another inch.

I was impressed with just how curious they have been.  When I first put them in, they went right to the sand bed (but I've seen videos of them swimming around, so I wasn't worried).  However, shortly they were out and about swimming around the tank.  They aren't constant swimmers like angelfish, but still pretty active.

I kind of wanted a group of fish, versus a royal gramma (which I was also considering).  I've read where they are fine in a small group if introduced ate the same time.  So far I haven't noticed any aggression.  My guess is that they've been together for a bit at Live Aquaria.  I noticed that after my order, they were sold out.

One of them was playing with bubble from my heater yesterday.  Pretty happy with them so far.

lol that's where I saw them :-).. Yeah the 75 I want to have a large selection of little guys I think. I like the idea of being able to get larger fish but I really like all the small guys more.

Good luck with them. Keep us posted cause I'm curious to see the luck you have with them.

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
55 minutes ago, seabass said:

012119a.jpg

The chalk bass are all doing well.  They eat like champs, are active, and show no signs of aggression towards each other.

Aw man that is such a pretty fish, I'm glad they are doing good for you 🙂🙂

• Thanks 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks for checking in @righttirefire.  I've been meaning to post an update on them.  They are great little guys - very active, enthusiastic eaters, and move about the tank (I'd say mostly mid level).  They don't necessarily hang out together, but aren't opposed to some company either.  I really like them; and they seem to be doing well.

While acclimating, they hung out together more than they do now.  And when they got more comfortable, they seemed to swim away from me for a few days.  However, it didn't take long for them to realize that I brought them their meals.  Now they eagerly greet me as I come into the room.

The tank has definitely increased it's nutrient levels, as I've noticed more algae growth.  I see this as both good and bad.  The tank requires more maintenance, but I feel that it is less sterile (which I consider good).

I may have to start feeding more carefully.  I tend to just shoot some flakes mixed with frozen mysis into my pump, and let it get broken up and distributed around the tank.  The chalk bass dart about consuming anything that's moving.  I'll have to post a video sometime.

I ordered a cleanup crew from John at Reef Cleaners; but it's been too cold for him to ship here, so that will have to wait.  So then I ordered a crew from Live Aquaria; however, they ran out of stock on something I that ordered and put it on hold.  What's a guy have to do to get some snails. :rolleyes::lol:  I suppose it's just as well as we should be getting some warmer weather soon.

Edit: Actually, it looks like LA just shipped last night; I should see snails this morning.

Edited by seabass
Additional information
  • Like 2
8 hours ago, seabass said:

I ordered a cleanup crew from John at Reef Cleaners; but it's been too cold for him to ship here, so that will have to wait.

Just to clarify, I was ordering money cowries (which are more delicate shippers).  John makes an effort to help ensure the health of the livestock that he ships.  I'm always impressed by his dedication to customer service and to this hobby.

BTW, I received the cleanup crew from LA this morning.  Everything was in good condition and is now in my tank.  I'll still be ordering a crew from John this spring.

• Like 2
righttirefire

No. I had one make it 2 days in qt. And the other went right into the display and with 2 or 3 days was done too. Both active and eating. So I just got a sour taste in my mouth about them.

• Sad 1
  • 2 months later...

Yesterday I was washing out some equipment in the sink and I heard something fall.  It sounded like some tubing or something, so I didn't think much about it.  About 3 minutes later, I saw one of the chalk bass on the floor. :whoa:

I scooped it up and put it back in the tank.  It floated upside down to the bottom.  Then it started breathing rapidly (still upside down on its head).  After a minute or so, I nudged it with a stream of water from a turkey baster.  It immediately, turned right side up, then darted into a cave in the rocks.

A couple of hours later (when it was feeding time), all three were out and about waiting to be fed.  Looks like it might just be alright.  On a side not, when it was on the floor, I was kind of surprised how fat it was (didn't really notice it as much in the tank).

• Like 2
  • Wow 3

Nice catch on the jumper! And super cool theme you've got going here. I'd love to see more of it! 😁

Those chalk bass are such pretty fish. Do the three of them tend to stay together most of the time?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, billygoat said:

And super cool theme you've got going here. I'd love to see more of it!

Thanks!  I need to spend some more time on it.  It doesn't look bad, but it could use a little TLC.

I purchased an elkhorn montipora and a platygyra maze brain coral for this tank.  Both reminded me of Caribbean stony corals (which are protected species).  I can't decide if I wish to keep them in this tank (being that they are actually Pacific corals), or strictly stay with Caribbean livestock (like gorgonians, sponges, and zoanthids).  I'm leaning towards putting them in my Pacific 100 gallon tank, and keeping this tank mostly Caribbean.

2 hours ago, billygoat said:

Do the three of them tend to stay together most of the time?

Not really.  They did immediately, but now it's pretty rare to see them hanging out together.  Most of the time they maintain some space; which fills out the tank nicely.  They occasionally pick on one another, but it's usually short lived as the one getting picked on will dash quickly away (and won't be pursued be the aggressor).  Seems relatively harmless, but not sure I'd call it play either.

I'll see if I can take one tomorrow.

One of the anemones was giving birth Friday evening.  I caught a pic of this baby floating by:

051019b.jpg

I believe that this was the momma.

051019a.jpg

She was already finished delivering her babies.  You can see some older babies under her.

• Like 3
  • Wow 2
6 hours ago, seabass said:

I'll see if I can take one tomorrow.

One of the anemones was giving birth Friday evening.  I caught a pic of this baby floating by:

051019b.jpg

I believe that this was the momma.

051019a.jpg

She was already finished delivering her babies.  You can see some older babies under her.

That is so cool! It looks like you have tons of them! They must be doing super well.

Also, that looks like Sargassum. 😍 I have got to get me some of that.

• Like 2

Sorry, didn't have time to tidy up.  A few hours of maintenance, and it'd look a whole lot better.  Well, here's how it looks like now.

051419a.jpg

The frags are going in my 100 gallon (after I clean it up).

• Like 3