Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Seabass's Caribbean 40 Gallon

seabass

Christopher Marks
3 hours ago, seabass said:

Sorry, didn't have time to tidy up.  A few hours of maintenance, and it'd look a whole lot better.  Well, here's how it looks like now.

051419a.jpg

The frags are going in my 100 gallon (after I clean it up).

Wow lucky that you found the chalk bass in time, glad to see it's doing fine today! 😮 

It's looking really nice, I like the idea of keeping pretty much only Caribbean livestock, have you found a good source for different gorgonians if you stick with that plan? I love gorgonian dominant tanks.

• Like 2
39 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

have you found a good source for different gorgonians if you stick with that plan?

KP Aquatics is an excellent vendor for all stuff Caribbean.  I figure that one order from them could fully stock this tank.

• Like 3
56 minutes ago, seabass said:

KP Aquatics is an excellent vendor for all stuff Caribbean.  I figure that one order from them could fully stock this tank.

KP's 'gorgs are incredible, and I know Russ at Gulf Coast Ecosystems (live-plants.com) stocks a few as well. I have not personally purchased any from him yet but his macro is amazing so I figure his gorgonians are probably pretty good too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...
7 hours ago, seabass said:

The sargassum algae is taking off.

070519a.jpg

Gorgeous! I wish I could get my hands on some of that! Not that I have any place to put it, at this point. But still, it's very beautiful.

This holdfast-building Sargassum is different from the drifting species that's been swamping Caribbean beaches for the past few summers, so don't worry, it's not evil. 😅

• Like 3
3 hours ago, billygoat said:

Gorgeous! I wish I could get my hands on some of that! Not that I have any place to put it, at this point. But still, it's very beautiful.

Thanks.  If you ever up-size, you can find it every now and then at Gulf Coast Ecosystems: https://www.live-plants.com

• Like 1

I just placed an order with KP Aquatics for this tank.  I stuck to the reduced shipping items to keep costs down.

1 x Red Tree Sponge Nano $10.00

1 x Blue Zoanthid - Nano Size $11.00

1 x Neon Blue Zoanthid - Single $10.00
1 x Yellow Eyed Zoanthid - Nano Size $11.00

1 x Green Speckled Zoanthid - Single $4.00
1 x Fluorescent Green Eyed Zoanthid - Single $4.00

1 x Blue Ricordea Polyp - Single Mouth $16.00

1 x Fluorescent Green Ricordea - SIngle Mounth $13.50

1 x Rainbow Ricordea - Single Mouth $16.00

1 x Astrea Snails - 5 Lot $4.25

12 x Dwarf Cerith Snails $2.04

Subtotal: $101.79
 Shipping: $17.50 via Flat Rate Ground
 Total: $119.29

I'll add a few gorgonians a bit later.  Oh, and the chalk bass which jumped is doing fine.  After a few hours, he seemed completely normal.

• Like 3
26 minutes ago, seabass said:

just placed an order with KP Aquatics for this tank.  I stuck to the reduced shipping items to keep costs down.

Was just getting ready to go on myself to update my Florida tank. Hope you didn't get all the good stuff!

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, seabass said:

I just placed an order with KP Aquatics for this tank.  I stuck to the reduced shipping items to keep costs down.

1 x Red Tree Sponge Nano $10.00

1 x Blue Zoanthid - Nano Size $11.00

1 x Neon Blue Zoanthid - Single $10.00
1 x Yellow Eyed Zoanthid - Nano Size $11.00

1 x Green Speckled Zoanthid - Single $4.00
1 x Fluorescent Green Eyed Zoanthid - Single $4.00

1 x Blue Ricordea Polyp - Single Mouth $16.00

1 x Fluorescent Green Ricordea - SIngle Mounth $13.50

1 x Rainbow Ricordea - Single Mouth $16.00

1 x Astrea Snails - 5 Lot $4.25

12 x Dwarf Cerith Snails $2.04

Subtotal: $101.79
 Shipping: $17.50 via Flat Rate Ground
 Total: $119.29

I'll add a few gorgonians a bit later.  Oh, and the chalk bass which jumped is doing fine.  After a few hours, he seemed completely normal.

This is great! I hope you keep working on this tank; I am really interested to see what it turns out looking like once you get it nice and stocked. I'm very impressed with it so far!

• Thanks 1

Last Thursday I got my KP Aquatics order.  This wasn't my first order from them; I love KP Aquatics for Florida/Caribbean livestock.  The zoas had more polyps than promised, I got more snails than I ordered, and they even threw in an extra tree sponge.

Here are the corals after being further fragged, mounted on rubble, a Bayer dip*, peroxide dip, and iodine dip (so a little upset).

071419d.jpg

*The Bayer dip consisted of soaking the frags 150ml of tank water with 10ml of Bayer for 20 minutes.

The corals are starting to recover (I think this was the next day).

071419e.jpg  071419f.jpg

I didn't know if I could Bayer dip sponges, so I just rinsed them in some tank water prior to adding them to my tank.  Here are the red tree sponges that I received.

071419g.jpg  071419h.jpg

The loose ric dislodged and floated away.  Now I can't find it anywhere.  I might try lifting the rocks; but the chalk bass hide under them, so I'm a little leery of stressing them out too much.  I should have known better, and taken better precautions with the loose ric. :mellow:

• Like 6

So I picked up all the rocks and took a turkey baster to all the holes in the rocks.  Made a good mess, but no missing ric.  I’m almost thinking that one of the RFAs did it in. :unsure:

• Sad 3

Sorry to hear about the lost ric, but everything else looks great! Congrats on the new additions. 😁

Looking back at your wide-angle shots really makes me want to get a few of those KPA rock flowers. How's the water movement in here? Are those RFAs getting a lot of current, or is it pretty mellow?

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, billygoat said:

...everything else looks great!

Thanks!

17 minutes ago, billygoat said:

How's the water movement in here?

I have a 200gph filter, and I believe a 500gph powerhead (+ a bit from the HOB skimmer); so around 20 times turnover.  That's not much.  They seem to do well in all kinds of flow (although I typically keep the flow more moderate).

There a baby RFAs everywhere in this tank.  It's almost at plague levels.

• Like 2
  • Wow 2

I noticed some bryopsis on a couple of my zoanthid frags I just got.  I'm glad I didn't glue them directly on the rock yet; and I hope I caught it before it spreads.

I tried peeling the zoas off of the affected rubble.  I'm not sure that I got it all.  I also did another, stronger, peroxide dip afterwards.  Fingers crossed.

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...

Just some random shots.

Some loose Sargassum stuck in the intakes.

http://thereeffarm.com/nano-reef/caribbean/082119b.jpg

One of the Chalk Bass:

http://thereeffarm.com/nano-reef/caribbean/082119c.jpg

I had another jumper.  They get so amped up around feeding time.  I just picked him up and plopped him back in.  He was swimming around right away.  All three are doing well.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3
  • 2 weeks later...

A common sight in my aquarium as well. I always wonder how so many eggs can fit inside such little snails. 🤔

Also I can't help but notice that that is a Mexican Cerith. Don't worry Seabass, your secret is safe with me. 😉

• Haha 3
  • 4 weeks later...