Cultivated Reef

Seabass's Caribbean 40 Gallon

seabass

24 minutes ago, seabass said:

Yeah I'm surprised how tall it is.  I might have to transfer it to my 100 gallon tank. :lol:

I'm guessing it was just damaged.  I removed a few others that died off, but most are actively growing.

There are a few RFA babies on it.  You can see one on the right corner.  I wasn't sure where I wanted them, so I just left them there.  Since then, an adult has joined them.

TBH, I've just been willy nilly dosing phyto, iron, and Micro Algae Grow into the tank.  I really should buckle down and figure out how to dose the dry nutrients.  After all, I wanted to learn how to dose and balance the levels. :blush:

Funnily enough, I find that reassuring cause that's what I've been doing recently too. :lol:

• Like 1

You can also see that the bacterial bloom (which was present in the first pic) has finally cleared.  In addition, everyday I've been feeding the tank (crabs and snails) about as much as a would a tank with an adult clownfish and cleanup crew.

Also, there are a few traces of cyano which have appeared.  I haven't done anything about it, and don't have any immediate plans to do so.  Finally, I haven't done a water change or scraped the glass since I've added the macroalgae (and still no media in the filter).

I read that caulerpa needs high flow. What say you?

I still haven't added a powerhead, so it's a pretty low flow tank.  It's still early, but I show no indication that high flow is required.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Well, here it is today.  It needs cleaning.  I haven't changed the water since I started posting. :blush:

I started getting some cyano on the macros so I dosed some ChemiClean.  I added an airstone for the treatment.

080617a.jpg

As you can tell by my filter intake, maintenance hasn't been performed in awhile.

080617b.jpg

080617c.jpg

080617d.jpg

080617e.jpg

• Like 6
Just now, seabass said:

Well, here it is today.  It needs cleaning.  I haven't changed the water since I started posting. :blush:

I started getting some cyano on the macros so I dosed some ChemiClean.  I added an airstone for the treatment.

080617a.jpg

As you can tell by my filter intake, maintenance hasn't been performed in awhile.

080617b.jpg

080617c.jpg

080617d.jpg

080617e.jpg

That intake!  Frankly, I'm shocked. 

:lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
12 hours ago, seabass said:

080617a.jpg

080617b.jpg

080617c.jpg

080617d.jpg

080617e.jpg

Life get busy on ya? :lol:

How's the flow in here?

Seems like there's a lot of detritus settling on the plants and I'm wondering if it's cause of low flow. 

I'm sure that has a lot to do with it.  Actually, they were looking pretty good until the cyano outbreak.  Flow contributed to that, along with messy feedings, and dosing phosphate.  Also, yesterday I read that iron can contribute to cyano.  Perfect storm.  Oh, and the flow is even worse with the intake restriction.

I'm planning on a major cleanup and transferring some macros to my 100 gallon tank.  Possibly even a tank upgrade for this (I have a new 40B and stand just collecting dust).  Right now, adding a powerhead to this tank, would just blow macros all over the place.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

I've found a few of these (what I believe to be) Synaptula sea cucumbers which hitchhiked on some macro algae:

090817a.jpg

090817b.jpg

I took this video with my camera precariously held above the tank while I held the macro.

• Like 4
14 minutes ago, seabass said:

I've found a few of these (what I believe to be) Synaptula sea cucumbers which hitchhiked on some macro algae:

090817a.jpg

090817b.jpg

I took this video with my camera precariously held above the tank while I held the macro.

Sooo cool!

• Like 2
8 hours ago, seabass said:

090817a.jpg

090817b.jpg

I got one of these in my tank too, as a Macro hitch hiker, it was so cool to watch. 

We came to the conclusion that it was a Medusa Worm, although after looking it up I could see how it could also be a Synaptula Sea Cucumber. 

They're fairly secretive, I haven't seen mine again since returning it to the tank. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/8/2017 at 10:16 PM, seabass said:

090817a.jpg

090817b.jpg

Sooo cool!  I have at least one if these, I found it while changing my filter floss and returned it to the tank. Haven't seen it since. It was tiny, the size of a bristleworm. I hope I have a few and they're able to reproduce!

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

So this tank has been on the floor for way too long.  I made 40B and 20L stands.  I'm thinking that this tank is getting upsized.

102617b.jpg

Yeah, the stands are currently upside down.  Poly is still drying.

• Like 5
  • 2 weeks later...

So I emptied the 20L which has been on the floor:

110917a.jpg

Some Pacific mini carpet anemones (which will be moved to my 100 gallon tank):

110917b.jpg

The sand from the 20L.  I just hand scooped it up to leave most of the mulm behind:

110917c.jpg

Caulerpa and some loose RFAs:

110917d.jpg

Rock, inverts, and some Gracilaria:

110917e.jpg

Empty 20L with left over substrate.  I'll clean it out and reuse (both):

110917g.jpg

New 40B:

110917h.jpg

Filled (still a little cloudy):

110917i.jpg

I'll aquascape it later.

One RFA decided to find a familiar place to hang:

110917l.jpg

• Like 8

FTS:

111217a.jpg

Notice the new Sargassum floating on top?

I also installed my old  HOB skimmer.  It feels good to have a protein skimmer running on this tank again.

111217b.jpg

Contest pico on the left.

• Like 6

New rock:

111617c.jpg

111617d.jpg

We'll have to see how long it takes to color up.  The first rock is just starting to get coralline.

I'll probably add one more rock.  But for now, I wanted something for a few loose RFAs.

• Like 6

:lol: Good eye.  You're right; I did add two.  I didn't count the little guy; and I even had to grind the bottom down to get it to stand upright.

It's slowly getting to a point where I can visualize how I want it.

• 6 months later...