Pod Your Reef

Seabass's Caribbean 40 Gallon

seabass

This tank started off as a 20L, but is currently a 40B.

111917a.jpg

Taken: 11/19/17

For those of you that have previously followed my tanks, you've probably learned to not expect too much.  This won't be anything different.

062117a.jpg

06/21/17

This is a tank that I've had running for awhile now.  I've finally decided to do something with it.

• Like 12

So you're probably asking, "What are those tubes in the back?"  I got an order today from Gulf Coast Ecosystems (live-plants.com):

• Botryocladia (Red Grape)
  • Gracilaria hayi
  • Caulerpa prolifera
  • Stocky cerith snails

Let me just say, they are an awesome vendor!

• Like 6

macro tanks ftw.  you should check out kpaquatics, they also sell a bunch of Caribbean stuff. IDK how legit they are (never ordered), but I've read a few things and it seems reputable. 

• Like 4

Thanks Christy!  It was more than I was expecting. :happydance:omgomgomg They are going to suck up lots of nutrients.  I might have to put a few in my 100 gal.

3 minutes ago, Squared said:

macro tanks ftw.  you should check out kpaquatics, they also sell a bunch of Caribbean stuff. IDK how legit they are (never ordered), but I've read a few things and it seems reputable. 

I appreciate that Squared!  I will definitely check that out.

• Like 2
GregEmmitte

I just ordered some similar macroalgae from them. How long did it take to receive them?

that looks rad btw. I had been wanting to do a Caribbean theme as well.

• Like 1

Thanks Greg!  I ordered it this weekend, they shipped on Monday, and arrived today (Wednesday).  You won't be disappointed.

• Like 2
GregEmmitte
2 minutes ago, seabass said:

Thanks Greg!  I ordered it this weekend, they shipped on Monday, and arrived today (Wednesday).  You won't be disappointed.

Awesome!

Here's a question that I haven't fully researched lately.  What, do you macro keepers use for nutrient dosing?  Should I order some Kent Iron and Manganese?  What specialized test kits, if any, do you use (like iron)?

For my phytoplankton cultures, I use Kent Essential Elements and Miracle-Gro Liquid All Purpose Plant Food (which contains nitrogen, phosphate, iron and manganese).  I'm kind of thinking that I might be able to do the same to supplement nutrients.  Any thoughts?

1 hour ago, seabass said:

Here's a question that I haven't fully researched lately.  What, do you macro keepers use for nutrient dosing?  Should I order some Kent Iron and Manganese?  What specialized test kits, if any, do you use (like iron)?

For my phytoplankton cultures, I use Kent Essential Elements and Miracle-Gro Liquid All Purpose Plant Food (which contains nitrogen, phosphate, iron and manganese).  I'm kind of thinking that I might be able to do the same to supplement nutrients.  Any thoughts?

I have gotten the most positive results from using Reef Plus. 

Even though my 2 Clowns were messy eaters that I was feeding pretty heavily I found that my nitrates were still at 0, so I started dosing with Reef Plus and began seeing immediate Macro growth. 

I was dosing Magnesion to raise Mg which I felt was low at 1215, but had mixed results from that which I am still in the process of figuring out. 

I add a small amount of Ferrion for iron about once a week but I honestly don't test for it. 

I haven't run across a Macro keeper yet who tests for iron believe it or not, I've seen others say they dose for it by the appearance of their Macros. Some say that when their red Macros begin losing color they add some iron. 

I personally test for nitrate, calcium, alkalinity and magnesium. 

You will find that the Botryocladia and G. Hayi will prefer lower light. 

If they begin to fade a little put them in an area with lower light and make sure you're giving them enough nutrients. 

Predictably, the Caulerpa will suck up the nutrients and show growth the fastest. 

C. prolifera is one of my favorite Caulerpas though, you got a good one. The other Caulerpas I like are Cactus Caulerpa and the rare Caulerpa I am growing. 

I'm kinda fascinated by the idea of using Miracle Gro plant food, lol. 

It seems like Macros take up nitrate faster than phosphate so I'd guess you would just want to keep an eye on how much phosphate that adds to the water. 

I'm curious, what are you using for light over this tank?

• Like 2

Thank you for that detailed response Weetie!  I appreciate the macroalgae keepers for chiming in; and really, anybody that's following along.

I have a 4' four bulb T5HO over it.  It's currently about 3' above the tank (just because it's been enough light for the RFAs, it's convenient, and I've been too lazy to move it closer).

Just now, seabass said:

Thank you for that detailed response Weetie!  I appreciate the macroalgae keepers for chiming in; and really, anybody that's following along.

I have a 4' four bulb T5HO over it.  It's currently about 3' above the tank (just because it's been enough light for the RFAs, it's convenient, and I've been too lazy to move it closer).

I think T5 will be perfect for the Macros and RFAs, and that's close enough too, esp with it being 4 bulb. 

What bulbs are you using?

• Like 1

tbh, the bulbs are overdue for replacement. :blush:  I'll have to see if I have any replacements on hand.  I can't remember what's currently in there; probably some mix of ATI bulbs (most likely Aquablue Specials and a Blue Plus).  Giesemann has some plant friendly bulbs (6500K and Planted); do you feel it would be worth picking up one of those?  What would you recommend?

16 minutes ago, seabass said:

tbh, the bulbs are overdue for replacement. :blush:  I'll have to see if I have any replacements on hand.  I can't remember what's currently in there; probably some mix of ATI bulbs (most likely Aquablue Specials and a Blue Plus).  Giesemann has some plant friendly bulbs (6500K and Planted); do you feel it would be worth picking up one of those?  What would you recommend?

I think that's less of an issue for the Macro than it is for the RFA's. Though from what I've seen RFA's don't have high light requirements, esp if you feed them as you should.

Think about it, when bulbs start getting old and losing spectrum one of the issues that comes up is increased growth of pest algae. 

Obviously Macro is good algae not pest algae, but it's still algae, and I personally think it likes those spectrums. 

Tbh, I deliberately used old T5HO bulbs for a bit in the fixture over my Macro tank for that very reason. 

I do have a new Giesemann Powerchrome Midday bulb but I haven't put it in the fixture yet, let me try that and see what I think. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

I think that's less of an issue for the Macro than it is for the RFA's. Though from what I've seen RFA's don't have high light requirements, esp if you feed them as you should.

I've had all of these RFAs for more than 7 years (except of course for some of the babies), and one of them for over 11 years.  I've found that they don't need much light and hardly any feeding.  I feel that they must have an affinity for dirty water (of which I tend to have plenty). :)

Just now, seabass said:

I've had all of these RFAs for more than 7 years (except of course for some of the babies), and one of them for over 11 years.  I've found that they don't need much light and hardly any feeding.  I feel that they must have an affinity for dirty water (of which I tend to have plenty). :)

Well see, there ya go!!

I'd say your setup as it is now doesn't need huge amounts of light, just make sure you have enough nutrients for the Macro, which will suck it up. 

• Like 1

So here are my thoughts for this tank.  I plan on establishing the macros before adding any coral (getting used to balancing the nutrients).  I'm not too concerned about the RFAs, as they have put up with my seagrass tank,

100511a.jpg

a massive invasion of hair algae,

012316a.jpg

plus bouts of cyano, flatworms, etc, etc.

*Mind wandering*  Anyway, back to the plan.  It might be quite some time before I add any coral.  Then I'd like to try a gorgonian or two.  And then finally, I'd like to try a sponge or two.  I'm in no hurry; plus, I'm a bit reluctant to try to juggle everything all at once.

• Like 5
26 minutes ago, seabass said:

So here's my thoughts for this tank.  I plan on establishing the macros before adding any coral (getting used to balancing the nutrients).  I'm not too concerned about the RFAs, as they have put up with my seagrass tank,

100511a.jpg

a massive invasion of hair algae,

012316a.jpg

plus bouts of cyano, flatworms, etc, etc.

*Mind wandering*  Anyway, back to the plan.  It might be quite some time before I add any coral.  Then I'd like to try a gorgonian or two.  And then finally, I'd like to try a sponge or two.  I'm in no hurry; plus, I'm a bit reluctant to try to juggle everything all at once.

I kinda like the sea grass look. 

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

I kinda like the sea grass look. 

Yeah, i liked that tank too.  But in the end, I had problems with nutrient control (between the DSB and nutrients in the water, I just lost the balance).  Someday I'd like to try seagrass (a true plant) again.  However, I think Caulerpa prolifera looks a little like seagrass.

19 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

Following along. More and more people are adding macro's. It is great to see how much more natural the scape looks. 

I'm glad you're here.  I've had a fascination with macroalgae tanks for years; but have been recently re-inspired by some of the beautiful tanks on Nano-Reef which are incorporating macros.  Decorative macroalgae provides a natural look (as well as a natural way to deal with nutrients in the tank).

My very first tank had some decorative macro on it.  I fought it instead of embracing it (still, it stayed with me for three tanks).  However, I still have a lot to learn about keeping them.

• Like 4