Cultivated Reef

Bulkheads for 40 gallon breeder tank

Borg

First off I'd like to say hello and introduce my self. My names Roger from Ct and I've caught the fishtank fever just over two weeks ago. I literally woke up one day and had an impulse to get back into the aquarium hobby.

well actually it all started off with an old 45 gallon tank. Which I had turned it into a bait tank for shiners to be used for fishing.  1.5" overflow with a 1" return running off a sicce 3.0 submerged into my aqueon modular sump - model 3.

last week picked up a 40 gallon breeder and a 20 gallon long. Gonna build a nice stand this week for it.

heres my question....

which bulkheads should I use?  I'm planning on running a sicce 3.0 pump.  Could I use a 1" bulkhead for a center overflow with (2) 1/2" returns? On either side of the over flow.? Would love to hear any of your suggestions before I make my mind up and drill some holes. Thanks

I ran a 40g breeder and 20g sump with a mag 7 return pump using 2x 1" drains (herbie) and 2x 3/4" returns. 

I wouldn't do a single overflow due to the noise. 

Second tank (30g cube) I went with 2x 1" drains and a single 3/4" return. 

• 3 weeks later...

Tonight, im drilling holes, siliconing a overflow box. 

(2) 1/2" returns

(2) 1" bulkheads for overflow box.

think im going to setup a 20 long sump. Fluidized media.   

Anyone have any luck using a sicce syncra as an external pump?