ReefCleaners.org

RO/DI - 3, 4 or 5 stage

Clown79

I currently  use distilled  water but considering  getting an ro/do for drinking  and tank use.

I can't hook it up permanently  in an apartment  and water connection  is in a wall behind the washing machine. I'd be using a sink adapter.

What's the difference  between 3 stages, 4, or 5?

Do you have access to your city water quality report? I think that's a good place to start when deciding what RO/DI you'll need.

HarryPotter

4 stage is a very good unit. With a 6 stage, the additional DI canister is nice as you don't need to change DI as often. The extra canister *should* help reduce the amount of particles reaching the DI, which makes things cheaper to run in the long run. 

I was planning on getting a 4 stage BRS unit with a TDS monitor before I bought out another hobbiest who had a 6 stage. Also, adding canisters in the future is cheap. You can get another canister for like $15 and put in DI resin. 

• Like 1
RayWhisperer
On 6/21/2017 at 4:32 PM, Clown79 said:

I currently  use distilled  water but considering  getting an ro/do for drinking  and tank use.

If you plan on using it for drinking, buy a john guest "T" fitting with a ball valve. Put it inline between the RO canister and the DI canister.. Drinking DI has a nasty dusty taste. Just drink the RO, then shut off the valve, and you're back in business for making tank water.

otherwise, I agree with what's been posted. 4 stage should be fine to start with.if you find you need more, a quick trip to the hardware store and you can make as many stages as you desire.

• Like 1
On 2017-6-21 at 7:15 PM, samnaz said:

Do you have access to your city water quality report? I think that's a good place to start when deciding what RO/DI you'll need.

Requested one in 2007 with my first sw. Still waiting for it. 

I'm going to say it's shit water. Ppl here don't drink it.lol

80% river water and 20% well. 

Lots of chlorine used, enough to give you serious heartburn.

Thank you for all the help. Really appreciate it 

• 2 weeks later...

Just went through our water report for 2016 - don't really understand all the numbers and apparently in the region I am in there are various companies that filter our water supply.

I know that chloramines are used.

• 4 weeks later...

You can get a tds meter for pretty cheap.  It might give you some idea about the quality of your water.  If you have chloramines I think brs recommends two carbon blocks.  I'm not sure what your budget is like but I got a 6 stage 150 gpd (dual ro) filter with pressure gauge, 3 spot tds meter and flush valve while on sale.  Its worked really well for me.  I've also heard good things about spectrapure filters.  I have mine hooked up to my sink.  At my last apartment I got 75 psi for pressure which was good.  They usually recommend something above 65 psi or getting a booster pump.  At my new apartment I get 55 psi which isn't as good but still seems to be working.  You may already know but only use cold water when you are filtering.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1