Coral Vue Hydros

How to glue PVC plumbing | BRStv How-To

Randy_BRS

Hey guys! 

Today's a quick one on how to glue PVC with some tricks to properly using primer and cement, as well as some tips to making sure your dry-fitted mockup fits perfectly after gluing! :)

Watch for more episodes coming out throughout the rest of the week, as we have a few of these sitting on the back burner! ;)

• Like 1

I'm going to be gluing a project in the next few days, so this was very timely.

But how do you do a dry-fit test when you have the sch-80 fittings that narrow towards the inside? 

(you can see it in bottom opening on this diagram)

809-010-sch80-street-elbow.jpg

It doesn't seem possible to fit the pipe in all the way before the glue has softened the surface.  Or at least it seems like they would get stuck or possibly crack.  I've just been trying to measure twice and cut once, but I'd be interested to know if there's a better way.

22 minutes ago, holy carp said:

I'm going to be gluing a project in the next few days, so this was very timely.

But how do you do a dry-fit test when you have the sch-80 fittings that narrow towards the inside? 

(you can see it in bottom opening on this diagram)

809-010-sch80-street-elbow.jpg

It doesn't seem possible to fit the pipe in all the way before the glue has softened the surface.  Or at least it seems like they would get stuck or possibly crack.  I've just been trying to measure twice and cut once, but I'd be interested to know if there's a better way.

I would personally try to lubricate it with something for the dry fit. That should allow you to seat it deeper into the fitting and make your depth marks on the pipe! :-) 

-Randy

Unfortunately, this video came a few weeks too late for me! I really wish I would have known about clear primer, because the purple primer really dripped on my pipes as I really had no clue what I was doing and how to do it properly! So much for a clean look. From my searching, there does not seem to be any type of solvent that would get rid of it. I think paint (or maybe sanding) is the only thing that would take care of it. Did I miss anything?

On 6/22/2017 at 9:59 PM, niQo said:

Unfortunately, this video came a few weeks too late for me! I really wish I would have known about clear primer, because the purple primer really dripped on my pipes as I really had no clue what I was doing and how to do it properly! So much for a clean look. From my searching, there does not seem to be any type of solvent that would get rid of it. I think paint (or maybe sanding) is the only thing that would take care of it. Did I miss anything?

Oh no! You could try rubbing alcohol, but I think sanding may be the best bet depending on how deep the primer penetrated. :)

-Randy

• Recommended Discussions