Top Shelf Aquatics

Hooded AIO Getting Hot

SelectedByNature

SelectedByNature

Any suggestions for keeping my hooded biocube cool this summer?

I noticed it started getting warm yesterday (normally 79) it was 81.7 (it was 33 outside).

I never thought it would be an issue since it's in the basement but there's no AC down there.

I lifted the hood last night to allow more air exchange cooling through the night and it was back down to 79. But by the time I left for work it was creeping up again. 

Since I have a hood is it a bad idea to leave it open at night and closed during the day causing constant fluctuations?

Any thoughts?

SelectedByNature
Just now, Astinus said:

Try having a fan blowing on it?  It works for me.  

The fan method definitely works but my lights are in the hood so I have to have the hood on which doesn't really allow for air flow. :(

Having a full hood on to reduce evaporation is directly related to your increase in heat. You want to go with a mesh lid. Evaporation itself causes cooling down actually!

This fan seems to work well on my tank https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M9UV9LI/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I usually just turn it off at night or on whenever I notice it's getting warmer. 

Also that fluctuation in his temperatures is not large enough to worry about. Someone else correct me if I'm wrong there.

• Like 2
SelectedByNature
4 minutes ago, Han Solo said:

Having a full hood on to not stop evaporation is directly related to your increase in heat. Evaporation itself causes cooling down actually!

This fan seems to work well on my tank https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M9UV9LI/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I usually just turn it off at night or on whenever I notice it's getting warmer. 

Yeah it does affect it cooling a lot for sure. 

It's too bad because I actually really like the hood look as opposed to others. Also I do like the stock LEDs of the Biocube and want to give them a chance.

SelectedByNature
5 minutes ago, Han Solo said:

Could you remove just the LED fixture?

Possibly but it would be the ugliest mounting it's not an attractive fixture. Still could be considered.

Simulated Fish
2 minutes ago, SelectedByNature said:

Possibly but it would be the ugliest mounting it's not an attractive fixture. Still could be considered.

Get a small clip on fan and attach to the feed door. Another option no one has mentioned is a small chiller, they. Work especially well on nano tanks due to our small volume of water.

• Like 1

I had the same issue with my biocube a while back ... so i drilled many tiny holes into the hood in area directly over the led heat sink to allow the excess heat to exit that the fans could not get out.. made a huge difference ... never had a heat issue with again ... 

I does not look bad as long as u drill in  some sort of evenly spaced manner  ....

• Like 2
fishfreak0114

I leave the maintenance door open on my bc29 all the time, no matter what the weather not only for temp., but to make sure that lots of fresh air is getting in there.  My tank runs around 81, steady unless there's a heat spike and we aren't running the AC.  When that happens I just float frozen plastic water bottles in chamber 3.

• Like 3
SelectedByNature
2 hours ago, Hippieheadshot said:

Get a small clip on fan and attach to the feed door. Another option no one has mentioned is a small chiller, they. Work especially well on nano tanks due to our small volume of water.

Thanks good advice!

1 hour ago, fishfreak0114 said:

I leave the maintenance door open on my bc29 all the time, no matter what the weather not only for temp., but to make sure that lots of fresh air is getting in there.  My tank runs around 81, steady unless there's a heat spike and we aren't running the AC.  When that happens I just float frozen plastic water bottles in chamber 3.

Me too I normally have it always open for exchange/evaporation.

Huh interesting.

This was just a one day spike so if it's hot for a week, I need to have solutions on hand in advance...

fishfreak0114

I keep 5 or so frozen bottles in the freezer so I can rotate them in throughout the day.  I usually have to do that most of the summer.

• Like 1
SelectedByNature
1 minute ago, fishfreak0114 said:

I keep 5 or so frozen bottles in the freezer so I can rotate them in throughout the day.  I usually have to do that most of the summer.

What size bottles and what are the effects? (How much reduction does it provide/how long does the effect last?)

fishfreak0114

I just use a typical size plastic water bottle, around 500ml I think.  It doesn't drop temp too much, it mostly just keeps it from rising (perhaps a degree drop?).  Within a couple hours the bottle is totally melted.

• Like 1
SelectedByNature
10 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

I just use a typical size plastic water bottle, around 500ml I think.  It doesn't drop temp too much, it mostly just keeps it from rising (perhaps a degree drop?).  Within a couple hours the bottle is totally melted.

Huh interesting I thought it would have more of an effect. Sounds like a good quick fix too in a crunch. Thanks!

Keep the maintenance  door open and have a fan close by, that should work.

I had a floor fan going  near my tank and that  really helped.

SelectedByNature
37 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Keep the maintenance  door open and have a fan close by, that should work.

I had a floor fan going  near my tank and that  really helped.

Oh yeah? Did the tank have a hood??

SelectedByNature
9 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

No.

I run all mine hoodless with mesh tops.

Ah okay figured I'd ask. I'll still try the fan method but I think the effect will be limited with the hood on (even if I leave the maintenance door open).

SelectedByNature
2 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

It's one reason I don't use hoods. 

Yeah I might try out a fancy light fixture in the future, but more likely I'll wait for the next tank.

I live in Florida, and even keeping my house at a consistent 74 degrees I found I couldnt keep my water cool enough in my BC 29. I ended up getting a 1/10hp chiller. 2nd best upgrade i ever made. 1st was an ATO.

• Like 2
SelectedByNature
1 hour ago, GregEmmitte said:

You can make a dyi overflow and put a tank underneath like a sump, specifically for temp reduction. 

I'm pretty hesitant to tinker to that degree with this tank.

1 hour ago, Pjanssen said:

I live in Florida, and even keeping my house at a consistent 74 degrees I found I couldnt keep my water cool enough in my BC 29. I ended up getting a 1/10hp chiller. 2nd best upgrade i ever made. 1st was an ATO.

Haha. I don't have either of those. Chillers are expensive!