inTank Media Baskets

YWG with no burrow?

FollyFish

I finally got a new Yellow Watchman Goby. The LFS had been keeping one and feeding it up for me since I have been having problems with this type of fish. I had 3 die. This new guy is healthy eats well and doesnt let my other fish push him around. He has been in the tank for 5 days but he hasent made a burrow or even tried to make one. He built a little sand hill in the back corner that he sits on and he sleeps up at the top waterline. He also turns a pale grey at night but is bright yellow during the day. Should I be worried? Add some PVC for a burrow? (Maybe he too small to make one) Wait longer if 5 days isnt enought time. He doesnt have a shrimp and I wasnt going to add one as I have a Fire shrimp in the tank already and its only 25G. Would that make a difference? I might be making a mountin out of a mole hill because Ive had 3 die. If thats the case just tell me to calm down. 

BustytheSnowMaam

I think you would see more natural behaviors if you added the shrimp.  The pistol and the fire shrimp will ignore each other.  The fish should live for quite a long time in relationship with the shrimp.  

• Like 1
SelectedByNature

I didn't think the YWG makes burrows himself? I thought he just locate existing burrows (typically made by pistol shrimps).

I would also suggest a pistol shrimp with the YWG. I love mine!

Mine never made a burrow, it had a little area in the rocks that was his area. Same with my orange spotted watchman.

You can add a pvc pipe but no guarantee it will use it. 

They lose colour at night. A lot of fish do as it's for protection. 

Just a little update. My YWG (Grendel) has given up on his hill in the back corner. For the last two days he has been excavating the front corner of the tank. I have an inch to an inch and a half sand. He has now reached the glass at the bottom in that corner and has decided to extend the trench along the side of the tank. There are no rocks and nothing to hide under but I guess whatever makes him happy and busy...

• Like 1