Coral Vue Hydros

15G Nano - starting vinegar dosing

gogeta

Re-scape

Was just debarcles. The heater I use to warm my water change has apparently died in the arse. So while I assumed my water was getting to a nice temperature it was infact at a dangerous low. This meant I had to be very manuveable which meant I couldn't swap as much water as I wanted. And was difficult to rescape as I didn't want to leave rocks out of the water for long. I had planned to do a 50% water change refill tank 75% and rescape underwater. Keeping my tank inhabitants in around 30% of what was taken out and 20% discarded with syphoning of the sand and deteis build ups. So things didn't go to plan and that meant the scape didn't go to plan. However I did achieve moving the rocks off the back wall which was the main reason I wanted to rescape. Them epoxy and glue didn't want to play ball and my temper came within a hair of throwing everything out on the lawn and starting from scratch.

I discarded some corals that didn't appeal to me anymore and made room for ones that I do still want in this tank. So it's looking a little more scarce than it was. Oh and I thought I killed he star fish with a rock slide and crushed him but he's still kicking and moving around.

Current Water Parameters

Nitrates - 2

Phosphates - <0.03

Alk - 9.9

Salinity - 35ppt

Calcium - 480

Magnesium - 1600

ammonia - 0 (tested just to see with rescape)

Current FTS

IMG_9059.thumb.JPG.cb76c9196a7436af52aab9d296abecf5.JPG

• Like 4
justjoshinya

Tank is looking good, I like the reshape more to work with. Glad your starfish is still kicking, I got a fromia star he crawled around the rock day one and crawled in between 2 rocks into the sand and I've never seen him since. Love those acros.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, justjoshinya said:

Tank is looking good, I like the reshape more to work with. Glad your starfish is still kicking, I got a fromia star he crawled around the rock day one and crawled in between 2 rocks into the sand and I've never seen him since. Love those acros.

Thanks, I didn't get to do anything that I actually wanted to do with the scape other than move it off the back and move a few pieces around with all the stuff ups. Originally I was planning to make it two bommies. Maybe I'll try again so and get it to what I want.

i thought for sure he was a goner, the rock smashed down on him and then I accidentally put weight on the rock aswell. Barley even a scratch on him and he's fine and moving around. I'm on the hunt for a couple of nice blue acro and stylo pieces for the middle section. And fill out the middle with some nice acans hopefully. 

justjoshinya

I get all my pieces for $5 from my lfs they are small pieces but work well in my tank and they have gems every once in a while I got a jedi mind trick monti frag and a nice favia. They never have any acropora though. Only acro I can find were green, or brown lol.

A blue acro would break up all the red pink acros in your tank i think it would be a great choice

• Like 1
4 hours ago, justjoshinya said:

I get all my pieces for $5 from my lfs they are small pieces but work well in my tank and they have gems every once in a while I got a jedi mind trick monti frag and a nice favia. They never have any acropora though. Only acro I can find were green, or brown lol.

A blue acro would break up all the red pink acros in your tank i think it would be a great choice

Yeah I have ridiculous choice when it comes to coral as I live on the coastline of the Great Barrier Reef. So i figure I should make the most of it and hopefully find some really nice acros in all my lfs shops. Also the abundance of choice of lfs within half an hour drive I have about 8 stores 

Removed the bigger rock on the right-hand side and replaced with a smaller flatter rock. I like this a lot better. Added a couple lps to help full out the middle and add some different color. I'm a bit more happier with the rock change and the rockwork overall now.

Front on

IMG_9079.thumb.JPG.d7db958350ad82a98260b45db5adf384.JPG

Left side

IMG_9080.thumb.JPG.ae34bf50d7de8cdd47053f271bf8939a.JPG

Right side

IMG_9083.thumb.JPG.c6a9bb86aedc2a2769861fa6940f203e.JPG

• Like 2

Maintenance

- 15-20% water change

- cyano is completely gone

- vacuum any detris

- changed carbon even though wasn't too old just for measure of issues lately

- cleaned skimmer, return punp

and wave maker

Additions

- white/blue acro

- green dallas

- orange tube sponge

- banded shrimp

Removal

- candy cane

Parameters

nitrates - 2

phosphates - 0.03

alkalinity - 9.9

salibity - 35ppt

calcium - 500

magnesium - 1500

Issues

The candy cane and another lps had hardened and weirded me out. When removed from water the candy cane responded so was still alive. But it's going to a new home as I don't want it anymore. The other lps i did see some sort of response when phytoplankton was feed but not its normal response. Still has full color but is hard when it was soft to touch. Not sure what the go is.

FTS

IMG_9127.JPG

• Like 2

Update

lps that was struggling is doing much better. Magnesium has been creeping up in between water changes. Had me completely stumped. Me using 2 test kits and lfs testing aswell.

Feeding and dosing

- 1/4 cube of frozen cube once per day

- 1/2 recommended dose reef roids target feeding twice per week

- 1/2 recommended dose Red Sea amino acids twice per week alternative days to reef roids.

- 3ml baking soda solution for alk per day

Maintenance

Because of mag being elevated I decided to do a mid week water larger water change it got up to around 1750 so I wasn't having that.

- 50% water change

- tried to syphon detritus as usual but concentration slipped accidentally syphoned on the hammer, he's not happy at all. Damaged a little.

- had a bit of build up going on the refugium light, cleaned it all off.

- chaeto has doubled halfed it and discarded the rest.

Water parameters

nitrates - <2

phosphates - <0.03

alk - 10

calcium - 480

mag - 1450 (after water change will be monitoring every few days now)

salinity - 35ppt

next up

this tank was always started as a holding tank for corals to help fill my bigger build on the way. I forgot this and got caught up with filling it. I will start fragging and keeping smaller colonies and giving away the rest. And make sure whatever I add now is frag size to give me room to add the frags I want.

Pictures

IMG_9202.thumb.JPG.b18904c803aef53534c45a14a9d3355d.JPG

clown hiding from me while my hands are in the tank. I can imagine him saying "whatcha doing in my waters?" (Old Greg reference)

IMG_9205.thumb.JPG.efa739f105ac344a3834af1170ca2652.JPG

hammer that hat got accidentally attacked by the syphon

IMG_9197.thumb.JPG.ba8043120a7acf8f3ea6772711246327.JPG

Favorite new sps under mostly blues (deceptive but looks cool under mostly blues)

Edited by gogeta
  • Like 2
Thrassian Atoll

This is one fast moving tank.  Glad to see though, as I am not one with much patience.  Interested to see how the mixed reef goes.  I am going to go primarily sps I think, just because I don't want to fight finding the middle ground constantly to make everything happy.

7 minutes ago, TILTON said:

This is one fast moving tank.  Glad to see though, as I am not one with much patience.  Interested to see how the mixed reef goes.  I am going to go primarily sps I think, just because I don't want to fight finding the middle ground constantly to make everything happy.

Haha thanks. Some of my other tanks people have just shaken their head at what I've put In there that probably shouldn't go together. TBH I have more luck keeping sps fine than any other corals. I got a bit impatient and filled it with stuff when I was really trying to do the same mainly sps to propagate for my next big tank. I'm gonna frag it up and make some room for variety 

Update

So as mentioned previously I have not done with this tank what I wanted to. So I fragged a couple bits off some of my acros and took them down to the LFS. I was quiet happy actually. They gave me $55 store credit for the 3 colonies and a yellow acro frag.

im also calling a partial water change as I lost about 8L of water in taking water out for the acros I took to LFS.

IMG_9211.thumb.JPG.4419653f11e7bd0bbcf89a03e0d8f5dd.JPG

IMG_9213.thumb.JPG.63667ec3c073ac8d9cd2868ce4bc07e9.JPG

• Like 1

Picked up a couple new pieces, the bigger one I may frag a piece off and sell or just pass off the rest of the colony though. For $20 couldn't pass it up even though it's a bit bigger than what I'm after ATM

IMG_9219.thumb.JPG.703f7f2e16843cc08f467521d84af5fa.JPG

IMG_9220.thumb.JPG.65e6b23855cf04e282ddb49bfe9fe877.JPG

• Like 1

Tank looks good for being so young. Are you manual or auto dosing? Is the sponge photosynthetic? If not they can go bad quickly and crash a tank.

• gogeta changed the title to 15G Nano - starting vinegar dosing