SaltCritters.com

15G Nano - starting vinegar dosing

gogeta

Hey all first time nano have had other FOWLER and reef tanks usually on the larger side of life. A friend gave me a 45L or 11g acrylic bow front nano tank with a rear sump. They also custom built a stand for the tank aswell very fortunate for me! the same person needed a place to take some coral that was barely surviving as their tank had crashed. luckily this tank had finished cycling and was holding stable. so currently no fish just some coral.

Currently just surviving on water changes, have a skimmer on order and plan to throw some chaeto in one of the rear compartments.

Current equipment:

- sw-2 jebao wave maker

- return pump some random pump i had sitting around 2500L/h

- Eheim Jager 75w heater

- lighting el-cheapo chinese led 165w

Equipment on its way:

- marine sources 150 nano skimmer

Maintenance:

- manual water top ups

- artificial saltwater (blue treasure sps salt) rodi mix up

- 10% weekly water change

Current water chemistry:

Nitrates - <2ppm

Phosphates - undetectable

Alkalinity - 7.7 dKh

Calcium - 400ppm

Salinity - 35ppt

Magnesium - 1250ppm

Photos:

full light FTS.JPG

white light FTS.JPG

• Like 4

Picked up some new corals

IMG_8749.thumb.JPG.fedbf3ccadea9b91af91ec8da71ab464.JPG

IMG_8755.thumb.JPG.59e7d64285d1f402a2a904d1cd6b1dc3.JPG

Some Chaeto for a section in the rear sump, overflow combs to keep it in its section. 

And a new snail for the tank aswell to help clean the sand. 

Still waiting on skimmer and uv filter to turn up before I put any fish in. Was thinking of just the blue boxfish and one black and white clown. Tank is only small so even that may be a bit high. 

• Like 2
17 hours ago, mystersyster said:

Looks good so far. Hope it fills in nicely! 

Thanks champ. Had a bit of an issue so had to move wave maker to where it is located now. Not used to these little tanks and I was putting to much flow directly onto the acro. Damaged him a little but I'm sure he'lll recover. Re did my math and I was running about 200 times turnover (insert super surprised face), again not used to these little tanks have turned the wave maker down a lot and now at about 40-50 times turnover. Everything is looking a lot more happy for it.

did my first regular water change, decided I'm gonna be doing roughly 20% per week as my only way I'm gonna try and keep calcium, magnesium etc in check is though water changes. It's a lot easier on a nano though when a 20% water change is only 2.5 gallons!

also got a little clamp on lamp for the chaeto

IMG_8763.thumb.JPG.5964b6b25fe457678c1e171ce7034c62.JPG

• Like 2

Another new coral literally opened up within 10 minutes of being in the tank. Makes me feel confident about my water quality even if it has no real merit. However every coral I've put in so far has opened and had good polyp extension much earlier than I have had before.

IMG_8782.thumb.JPG.d438a750432374a0441611f2a876d520.JPG

Also skimmer arrived Today with the uv so will get that up and running soon enough!

• Like 4
mystersyster

Looks like surviving on water changes are your best friend. Beautiful duncan! I just got the same variety with four heads. I love it! 

• Like 2

Waterchanges will work until you have enough corals which consume alk and ca daily.

My alk drops from 8.4 to 7.7 in one day, waterchanges  aren't enough anymore to replenish daily consumption. 

When you get to that point, you have to dose or lps  and sps take a hit.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Waterchanges will work until you have enough corals which consume alk and ca daily.

My alk drops from 8.4 to 7.7 in one day, waterchanges  aren't enough anymore to replenish daily consumption. 

solid point, again im used to bigger aquariums so always had dosers doing randys. im assuming most people dont go to the degree of a doser on a smaller nano? how do you go about supplementing? ive looked at the red sea reef foundation a,b and c and looks good to me aswell as other products may give them a go as the tank matures?

edit - also just used the search function and came across a thread you advised on haha solid advice btw.

Went to pull out the clump of chaeto to get rid of some. And guess what I see attached to the side of the acrylic!

IMG_8789.thumb.JPG.48479a408b496471aaeaab26d8b1a740.JPG

Hit it him twice in the mouth with 1ml of vinegar and got the corpse out of the tank. Have scoured the rest of the tank but can't find anything here's hoping. 

On 6/27/2017 at 7:51 PM, Clown79 said:

A good 2 part'll fix ya right up. It has worked wonders in my tank.

I already dose  2 part.

I was using my results as an example as to when waterchanges no longer can maintain proper parameters.

So now the tank has every bit and piece in it that i wanted i'm decided to do a better initial write up.

15G NANO - THE BOX OF SHENANIGANS

TANK (my old calculations were wrong)

Display - 57L or 15G

Rear sump - 19L or 5G

EQUIPMENT

Heater - eheim Jager 75w heater

Return Pump - random 2500L pump had sitting around B)

Wave maker - jebao sw-2

Skimmer - wiepro sa-2005 640l/h

Refugium - chaeto with clip on desk camp led

Uv sterilizer - 10w plumped from return pump to display

Lighting - random Chinese 165w full spectrum led

MAINTENANCE

manual water top up

weekly 15-20% water changes artificial salt

when corals begin to consume more than water changes can handle will dose red sea reef foundations A,B and C

CURRENT WATER CHEMISTRY

Nitrates - <2ppm

Phosphates - undetectable

Alkalinity - 8.9 dKh

Calcium - 400ppm

Salinity - 35ppt

Magnesium - 1250ppm

FISH, INVERTS AND CORAL

- 2 black and white ocellaris clownfish currently less than an inch in size

- 3 hermit crabs

- 1 trochus and 1 astrea

- corals various SPS, LPS and soft coral. What ever strikes my eye and i can think of a good spot for it in the tank.

PLANS FOR THE TANK'

- Majority reef, and propagation for coral to be fragged or move into a bigger tank when its ready

- See how much growth i can achieve in the coral with what is mostly cheap equipment

CURRENT FTS

IMG_8826.thumb.JPG.c6f12357bf32a899e8bfac0cc1ef1da1.JPG

• Like 3
  • gogeta changed the title to 15G Nano - The Box of Shenanigans
4 hours ago, zaitmi said:

Looks nice....but have you kept your tank on styrofoam coz if not your tank might come crashing down...

What? Why would it crash if it's not on Styrofoam. If that was the case, the vast majority of tanks would crash.

GregEmmitte
5 hours ago, zaitmi said:

Looks nice....but have you kept your tank on styrofoam coz if not your tank might come crashing down...

Thoroughly confused by this utterly deceptive nonsensical twaddlespeak.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I'm not too sure either. I've put my big tanks on foam to help level out and imperfections in keeping the longer larger tanks level. I didn't bother with this one my stand was level and tank is level without it. 

• gogeta changed the title to 15G Nano - starting vinegar dosing