Cultivated Reef

Anemone Warfare?

thespinningsadhu

thespinningsadhu

So here's the thing - I got a maxi mini and I love it. He's very happy. 

Before I bought and paid for this little guy (from SaltCritters) I had my LFS order a pretty pink and white rock flower anemone. 

I've been researching to see if they get along because the RFA came in. I know they shouldn't touch and with the size they are right now I don't think there's a huge chance of them vying for the same spot. I know they can move and do. My MMA seems to have found his spot - he did so about three minutes after being released in the tank. The RFA could move around til it finds its spot.

The thing that worries me is something I read about anemone warfare - I forget the term. Something where they both release toxins to kill each other and in the midst of that everything else in the tank is killed. Apart from this point, everything else seems to be fifty-fifty - yes you can have both; no you can't have both. One thread I read said you would need a 1000 (yes - one thousand) gallon tank to have two anemones together.

Is this a valid concern? It seems that there are tanks all over the forum that have different kinds of anemones. 

My tank is the Fluval Sea 13.5. The MMA is about three inches by two inches they way he's situated himself. I have no idea how big the RFA is but I think it's pretty small from what I was told and the price.

Thanks for any help you offer. I don't want to do any harm to any creature in the tank. 

HarryPotter

Lol at 1000g! 

I have 4 types (5 if you count aptasia!) totaling about 30 in a 75g tank. No issues: occasionally they'll meet, sting, and back away from each other. 4 Maxi Minis, 3 bubble tip, ~20 RFAs, and a long tentacle nem.  

- and my tank isn't nearly anemone "dominant", they make up a small portion of the critters.

Mixing anemone types, it done well, will not lead to an issue. Rock flowers tend to prefer areas near the sand, bubble tips rock, maxi minis anywhere, etc. Keep an eye on them- warfare in itself rarely causes critical issues. Tank crashes are often preceded by warfare though, instead its when an anemone lets go of the rock and gets shredded by a powerhead that the chemicals/organic can crash the tank. 

• Like 1
thespinningsadhu

You rock, good sir. 

I think I'll go ahead and get the little RFA because a) I told the LFS to order it and it would be an asshole move not to pay for it and a2) (couldn't do a b and a parenthesis because it turns into an emoticon - THE STRUGGLE IS REAL) they're are really pretty. 

Your answer leads me to another question: just how often do they decide to give up the ghost by feeding themselves to a powerhead? I have a Jebao SW2 on order so I can get some wave action. Right now I have a Karelia 240. I think the blasted things are intrusive enough already so I'm not really wanting to wrap it up in sponge. Plus wouldn't that be a breeding ground for nitrites/nitrates/stuff that kills your tank?

• 2 months later...

The chemical warfare you are referring to is called allelopathy.  It can and does occur quite often in our aquariums, however, having carbon reduces or completely removes the chemicals from the water.  I had a very bleached h. crispa in my 40 breeder.  I added a very small BTA, to the other side of the tank.  Now the sebae nem, was barley sticky and wouldn't adhere to anything, then one day I come home from work, it's on the side of the tank with the BTA, sticking to a rock and murdering the tiny BTA.  It was very odd, that it finally decided it wasn't dying anymore when I introduced another anemone to that tank  They are strange critters to be sure, but it is absolutely possible to keep different anemone species in a tank smaller than 1000g.  

• Thanks 1