ReefCleaners.org

Acan Looking Bad. Any Suggestions? (Pics)

SelectedByNature

SelectedByNature
9 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

I agree with burtbollinger.

Getting your alk stable will be better for all lps. They need stability.

I never had issues with rscp causing fluctuations after normal 15% waterchanges, just over time my alk increased greatly.

You need to test alk everyday to see what the consumption from your lps is and dose accordingly to maintain the number.

The best way is to:

Test after a waterchange. 

Test the next day at the same time.

Test everyday at the same time.

This will determine what your alk starts at and what the corals use everyday.

If there is daily consumption without dosing, by the end of the week the alk will drop significantly and then when you do a waterchange, the number will be different again. That will effect the corals.

Corals when purchased will look different in the store depending on the lighting they are under, compared to in our tanks. Then there is the lighting temp they are under.

I buy my corals from a store which runs their tanks with radions set very blue, like 20k. My tank is 15k. There is a difference in the look/colour pop.

It also depends on what your settings are. If you run high whites they fade more than running high blues. Same with 50/50. 

Thanks there was a lot of helpful information in there.

My salt wasn't always mixing to the same parameters at all. So every water change was a roll of the dice. I don't know if I didn't stir it enough when I opened the package or what but the levels have been inconsistent.

I'll definitely start testing every day at the same time and will try to stabilize my params with water changes. Maybe I'll hold off on WC for a week.

Salt doesn't always mix evenly but if you are doing 1 15-20% waterchange a week, it shouldn't be effecting the levels that drastically.

But multiple weekly waterchanges will do that if the salt is mixing differently each time. It has to do with percentages of water out and in.

Always mix the container of salt.

With rscp the actual mixing instructions are.

Add salt slowly while stirring to water.

Let sit once clear for 2 hrs.

Then add powerhead and heater

No mixing after 4hrs

These instructions prevent precipitation.

Why are you doing so many waterchanges?

SelectedByNature
2 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Salt doesn't always mix evenly but if you are doing 1 15-20% waterchange a week, it shouldn't be effecting the levels that drastically.

But multiple weekly waterchanges will do that if the salt is mixing differently each time. It has to do with percentages of water out and in.

Always mix the container of salt.

With rscp the actual mixing instructions are.

Add salt slowly while stirring to water.

Let sit once clear for 2 hrs.

Then add powerhead and heater

No mixing after 4hrs

These instructions prevent precipitation.

Why are you doing so many waterchanges?

It's definitely possible there's some precipitation.

I had high nitrates like 20-40 so I was doing more smaller water changes.

I will take this under advisement for next water mixing to see because previously the mixing time would vary for me due to life factors.

Thanks!

SelectedByNature
1 hour ago, Clown79 said:

The issue is nutrients imported vs exported. So if the cause isn't changed, the waterchanges will be of little effect.

Yeah well the better the export the more wiggle room for feeding is what I was trying to work with... :/

vegasgundog

Lots of good tips from everyone. If you can't dial down leds, try moving it into shade to see if it helps. When I has the bc29 up, I did a Steve's leds retro fit that was way overpowered but I could dial it down. 18% white is what I ended up finding they liked. Now in the e260, whites are between 18-15.