Coral Vue Hydros

SPS(Acro) - ID please

Ranjib

I have three acro sticks (I think they are acro, but not sure), I need some help with identification, I am browsing through different sites, and have probable names, but I am not sure, there are several contenders that looks somewhat similar

Here they go:

Fijian green digitata ?

Tank shots

I think this one is Aussie Tabling Acropora?

Tank shots

And finally, this one, 

Acropora Tenuis ?

Tank shots

Any help IDing this is appreciated :-) . I am trying to double down on SPS cares, knowing that actual corals will help

RayWhisperer

#1 Is green slimer

#2 I don't know, it could be A. secale, but that's not definitive. What makes you think it's Aussie? Assuming it is a tabling acro (there are many species of tabling acros) they come from many different locations.

#3 could also be several different corals. As mentioned, it could be A. tenuis, or A. hyacinthus, just off the top of my head.

just keep in mind. Any ID on a website, or forum, is just a general ID. In order to get a true ID, you'd need to examine the structure of the skeleton. That's something done by scientists,  not hobbyists. Besides, if it's care you're worried about, they are all Acropora. The care in the home aquarium will be pretty much universal.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, RayWhisperer said:

#1 Is green slimer

#2 I don't know, it could be A. secale, but that's not definitive. What makes you think it's Aussie? Assuming it is a tabling acro (there are many species of tabling acros) they come from many different locations.

#3 could also be several different corals. As mentioned, it could be A. tenuis, or A. hyacinthus, just off the top of my head.

just keep in mind. Any ID on a website, or forum, is just a general ID. In order to get a true ID, you'd need to examine the structure of the skeleton. That's something done by scientists,  not hobbyists. Besides, if it's care you're worried about, they are all Acropora. The care in the home aquarium will be pretty much universal.

I saw a similar looking acro in live aquaria , hence the 'Aussie ...'

Thank you for the advice, I will follow the general acro guidelines then, strong light+current, good water quality , and stable alkalinity . these have done alrite so far. I have lost couple of my first batch acro sticks, in the beginning , and now after 4 months I am getting a handful of sps, hence doubling down my knowledge on these 

RayWhisperer

You should be all good.

Aside from the random cases of RTN or STN, you should be fine. My only other advice would be to stay away from any acro direct from Fiji. I don't know what it is. Shipping, collection methods, or our tanks just aren't up to snuff. Fiji acros almost always die. They come in absolutely beautiful, but never seem to last.

• Like 1

I have decided to almost exclusively buy captive bred corals. I didnt understand all the aspects in the beginning, but now I know. My tank was almost out of all real estate due to the initial fast growzing softies , LPSs (readioactive dragon eyes, gsp, liams clove, knopia clove, pink zipper & green pociliopora). I have fragged and gave a away most of it, and moved a handful to  my pico tanks, and now I have some real estate.

I purchase most of my live stock from Neptune Aquatics. Yesterday for the first time I bought a bunch of corals from cherry corals (10 year anniversary live sale). I am fairly sure their stuff is also captive bred.

RayWhisperer

Well, that's a good attitude to have. However, I don't know of anyone who is actively (should I say intentionally?) captive breeding corals. There are a few organizations doing so for staghorns. But those are for reintroduction into areas where stags have been wiped out.

most of what you get from anyone selling corals are wild, maricultured, or aquacultured. If it's an "LE" coral, it's most likely aquacultured. If it's a site that seems to have a constantly varying selection of frags, it's likely they are all wild collected. 

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying don't buy aquacultured it's a scam. I'm just letting you know how it works, and what to look for.

• Like 1