Innovative Marine Aquariums

Another what's up with my frogspwan thread..with video

reeferx2

For about 7 months now I've been struggling to get this frogspawn back to its former glory. 

Cliff notes...sort of neglected the tank during 2016. Only doing weekly water changes and never testing. Finally got around to testing one day to find my big 3 all too low yet most of the tank was thriving. The weeping frogspawn at the time was the catalyst for my testing. 

In the last 7 months I have done nothing but stay on top of the tank. Keeping my parameters perfect, added a new light; the AI Prime, and lastly a Tunze nanostream wavemaker. 

The Prime and nanostream have been a part of the system for about 4 months. And my parameters are:

440, 1350, and usually 8 - 9 DKH 

.2 NO3 

And I don't test for phosphate because it always shows zero. I don't struggle with algae so we'll assume that's in line.

It's also worth mentioning that I change my sponge with every water change, and run 1 chemi blue nano along with a small ball of chaeto. 

This frogspawn was 1 head when I got it, grew to 5 and hit a brick wall. 

I've added this video to show everyone the flow of my tank and that everything else is thriving extremely well. I'm close to giving up on this frogspawn, but I'd rather not after owning it for over 2 years. 

My hunch is that it's getting too much or too little flow. I keep the tunze at its lowest flow setting which is 55gph with about a 1 second pulse and you can see that it's blocked by rock work in the video.

My other hunch is that maybe I'm providing too much or too little light. The Prime is currently set to 50% actinic and 15% cool white at their peaks. I'm toying with the idea of raising the cool white as I've read whites have a better par than actinic. As you can also see in the video the light is about 10 inches from the water line and the tank itself is fairly shallow.

I'd like to thank everyone ahead of time for reading through all this and watching my video.

Happy Reefing!!

Video link:

• Like 1

What is testing at 0.25?

I wouldn't advise using sponges in the hob. I'd recommend filter floss changed twice a week.

In the video, it looks like the tenticles aren't even moving on the frogspawn. Could be lack of flow.

Do you have a powerhead? A filter doesn't offer the right type of flow on its own.

Alk swings will cause issues with lps. 

• Like 1

Not enough flow.

Also, my frogspawns always hated the pulsing flow of wave makers. Try it on a constant flow setting. Give it about a week. 

• Like 2

Sorry, .025 spec G.

And funny you mention the wavemaker thing. This coral was doing better with just a pump back when I first got it. 

I've been feeding the whole tank with reef roids for about two months, forgot to mention that.  

3 hours ago, Clown79 said:

What is testing at 0.25?

I wouldn't advise using sponges in the hob. I'd recommend filter floss changed twice a week.

In the video, it looks like the tenticles aren't even moving on the frogspawn. Could be lack of flow.

Do you have a powerhead? A filter doesn't offer the right type of flow on its own.

Alk swings will cause issues with lps. 

3 hours ago, Travis said:

Not enough flow.

Also, my frogspawns always hated the pulsing flow of wave makers. Try it on a constant flow setting. Give it about a week. 

I have a wavemaker and my frogspawns are fine.

I think lack of movement. They need to be moving somewhat, they aren't moving in the video.

• Like 2
gone_PHiSHin

yes in my experience with hammer and frogspawn, you need to find a balance between too much direct flow and not enough.  

with not enough flow, mine don't get as big and fluffy,  with too much flow they whip around too much and i've actually seen them release small pieces of polyp from it.

a happy medium is needed

• Like 1
15 hours ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

yes in my experience with hammer and frogspawn, you need to find a balance between too much direct flow and not enough.  

with not enough flow, mine don't get as big and fluffy,  with too much flow they whip around too much and i've actually seen them release small pieces of polyp from it.

a happy medium is needed

Got it, thanks so much guys, I'm currently playing around with my wavemaker a bit. It's tough because my tank is so small that adjusting it effects everything. 

gone_PHiSHin

i know what you mean

i have an IM10 and adjusting the nozzle on my return pump can be frustrating getting it just right.  no blowing sand, some surface agitation, just the right flow for my euphyllia etc...

• Like 1