SaltCritters.com

Candy Cane Not Growing

SelectedByNature

Here's mine.  I just had to cut the green yesterday to give more light to my blastos below.  I didn't have the heart to toss the neon cuttings so I plopped them on teh rocks for now.  THey are puffing up too much and touching some palys now.  I'll have to take them to the LFS for credit :).59441816c9b52_ScreenShot2017-06-16at10_38_36AM.thumb.png.0922c8e81541fcb3de28fdda5cada30e.png

• Like 2
SaltyBuddha

I bought a pretty small puny looking neon green candy cane. It has been in my tank for maybe a month and a half and it is growing really slow. It puffs up and is getting bigger, but it has not been a fast process. I feed it mysis shrimp every once in awhile and it loves that. If it is putting out tentacles and puffing up with the lights on, I would say it is healthy and it will grow at its own pace. 

You can always feed it mysis shrimp if you want it to grow a little faster.

• Like 1
SelectedByNature
39 minutes ago, gena said:

Here's mine.  I just had to cut the green yesterday to give more light to my blastos below.  I didn't have the heart to toss the neon cuttings so I plopped them on teh rocks for now.  THey are puffing up too much and touching some palys now.  I'll have to take them to the LFS for credit :).59441816c9b52_ScreenShot2017-06-16at10_38_36AM.thumb.png.0922c8e81541fcb3de28fdda5cada30e.png

Wow nice!! I love Blastos. I'm wanting to get the dark red encrusting type...

24 minutes ago, SaltyBuddha said:

I bought a pretty small puny looking neon green candy cane. It has been in my tank for maybe a month and a half and it is growing really slow. It puffs up and is getting bigger, but it has not been a fast process. I feed it mysis shrimp every once in awhile and it loves that. If it is putting out tentacles and puffing up with the lights on, I would say it is healthy and it will grow at its own pace. 

You can always feed it mysis shrimp if you want it to grow a little faster.

Awesome thanks for your input! I'm not giving up on these interesting corals just yet!

I also love feeding corals. Hence my favorites being Blastos and Acans right now.

• Like 2
fishfreak0114

I have a two headed candy cane in a similar color to yours.  In a year and a half, I don't think it has grown at all.  On the other hand, I have one in a different color that has grown from one head to three in a year.

SelectedByNature
13 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

I have a two headed candy cane in a similar color to yours.  In a year and a half, I don't think it has grown at all.  On the other hand, I have one in a different color that has grown from one head to three in a year.

Okay interesting. Seems like everyone agrees the type I have are slow growers.

I came home from work and it looks decent today so I have hope!