Top Shelf Aquatics

Torch losing a head & what's this lump?

henningero

So I've had this branching, 4 headed torch for months now. It was growing nicely and had 0 issues. This morning I noticed that one of the  heads was separating from the skeleton. I haven't added anything new to the tank in months, and have been keeping up with water changes. All of the basic parameters are stable and correct. 

I did move my Koralias around to try and minimize dead spots (I have one on each short side of a Nuvo 30l), and I also have the stock returns, but haven't adjusted them.

Is it possible for this head to reattach, or will it eventually come off? If it does come off, what should I do with it? The tentacles are still extended. Will it stick somewhere and start growing a new skeleton?

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

IMG_20170615_152730.jpg

It may just drop its head which is a sign that somethings off.

Some ppl have noted regrowth while others didn't have any.

When you say parameters are stable, is there any day to day alk fluctuations?

Too much flow can also irritate euphylia.

What are your parameters?

Theres really no right answer.  It could stop pulling away and grow back to normal, it could melt away relativly quickly, it could float, land, and start a new colony as a polyp bail out, or it could form brown jelly and cause a mess.  I've had a hammer hanging on by a thread for months now. I just let it be and do it's own thing.  

1 hour ago, Clown79 said:

It may just drop its head which is a sign that somethings off.

Some ppl have noted regrowth while others didn't have any.

When you say parameters are stable, is there any day to day alk fluctuations?

Too much flow can also irritate euphylia.

What are your parameters?

I don't measure ALK. I change 5 gallons of water weekly to keep everything in order. I don't have any swings in the parameters that I do test for, and I dont dose anything. I did reposition my powerheads back to where they were from the beginning, and that reduced the flow dramatically on the torch. I'll just hope that's what caused this issue and keep an eye on it for now.

I also noticed this soft lump on the skeleton pictured here. I'm not sure what it is, or if it's related.

IMG_20170615_180748.jpg

IMG_20170615_180742.jpg

Oh, ok. I guess that's not bad. I was wondering if I should remove it. The good thing is, "It's not a tumor..." (that should be read in an Arnold Schwarzenegger voice).

• Like 1