Coral Vue Hydros

Supplement in Auto Top Off

Waylon

I know people put different products like kalkwasser in their auto top off systems for larger tanks. Do you think this would be safe or necessary for a Pico or Nano tank?

2 hours ago, 1891Bro said:

Depends, how much cal, and alk is your tank consuming?

Not much. Just green star, xenia and montipora 

HarryPotter

Then why start dosing? It's tricky with top off as depending on several factors you may add excessive Kalk on certain days or times of year.

• Like 3
8 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

Then why start dosing? It's tricky with top off as depending on several factors you may add excessive Kalk on certain days or times of year.

I'm currently dosing Seachem's Reef Complete. I just heard of this technique from a video by Julian Sprung the other day and was wondering people's thoughts on implementing it for nanos and picos. 

Most good quality reef salt has enough quantities of trace elements, calcium, Mg, etc. to keep your animals healthy in a nano reef. If you feel that it doesn't, you can always test for those things. Research the specific needs of your particular tank (LPS,  SPS, Soft coral, Macroalgae, invertebrates or fish) and dose accordingly. Keep it simple.

• Like 1
On 6/13/2017 at 10:54 PM, Nidilsky said:

Most good quality reef salt has enough quantities of trace elements, calcium, Mg, etc. to keep your animals healthy in a nano reef. If you feel that it doesn't, you can always test for those things. Research the specific needs of your particular tank (LPS,  SPS, Soft coral, Macroalgae, invertebrates or fish) and dose accordingly. Keep it simple.

cool. Thanks for the Advice!