Top Shelf Aquatics

Ricordeas Crowded on Frag Plug

JLynn

Several months ago I bought three ricordea florida polyps from Pacific East Aquaculture that shared a single frag plug. The plug was rather crowded when I go it, but now the mushrooms are much larger, and one of them has split in two, and they are squished up against each other. I'd thought, originally, that they would move themselves off the plug before things got so crowded, but they haven't moved at all. I don't know whether they are glued down to it or not, which may prevent them from moving away from each other, either. Anyways, what do I do? I'd really like to move them off the frag plug and spread them out a bit, but I'm not sure how to go about that, especially if they are glued down. Or is it best to just leave them to their own devices, no matter how squished up against each other they are?

fishfreak0114

IMO, I think it's best to let them do their thing.  If you take them off the plug, it could be hard to glue them down.  I doubt glue would prevent them from "walking" away.  Like I said, they're hard to glue. 

• Like 6
gone_PHiSHin

i agree, ricordea are hard to glue down.  they get all slimy and don't really stick, and end up floating away.  for me it's best if they attach themselves to a piece of rock and then i place the rock where i want it.

i'd let them be too.  in fact it seems ricordea do better when crowded together by other ricordea.

• Like 1

Rics often crowd with eachother. They would move if they were unhappy.

Fragging rics is more difficult than regular mushrooms. They don't have a long stem so slicing it is difficult.

All mushrooms(soft corals really) can't be glued easily. They slime and the glue doesn't stick. There are other methods to fragging them. None of this prevents them moving on their own

• Like 2

Okay, thanks for the advice. It still bothers me to see them squished together so closely, but it's reassuring to know that it's by their own choice. I'll go ahead and keep leaving it alone.

burtbollinger

I used to put a piece of rubble in a shot glass, put ric on top then put some netting over glass.  Rics would attach themselves after a week or 2

• Like 1
gone_PHiSHin
53 minutes ago, burtbollinger said:

I used to put a piece of rubble in a shot glass, put ric on top then put some netting over glass.  Rics would attach themselves after a week or 2

best way to attach mushrooms of any kind IMO