Cultivated Reef

Little-known Fish?

thespinningsadhu

thespinningsadhu

So, I was trying not to do this but I figured either you guys will give your opinions or you won't. So I'll try. 

I've looked through the first six pages of this forum. I've combed Live Aquaria, Saltwater Fish, KP, Pro Aquatics, the blue one (can't remember the name), and all the other big or reputable online sellers of fish. 

I want three fish. The only must is a yellow clown goby. I've loved them since I first saw one fifteen years ago. It's the fish that made me go out and spend money I didn't have to get the Fluval Sea 13.5. So yellow clown goby is a must. 

The thing is - no matter how much I look at the stores online there's always a fish that pops up here on the forum that isn't listed. For instance the Coral Gumdrop - cute as hell and size appropriate but the YCG will be my perching fish. 

Everything I've read says gobies don't do well with other gobies. So there's that. 

I'm looking for two other fish. I'd like a swimmer/floater and a bottom dweller. 

I fell in love with a Caribbean Swiss Guard Basslet but read he eats shrimp. My sexy shrimp were here first so that's a no go. I don't ever plan on not having shrimp. 

I'm having no luck finding a bottom dweller as the substrate I chose is really, really big and coarse. It's the CaribSea reef substrate. Shells, crushed corals, very little sand. 

I don't want clowns. 

The firefish are fine but I don't want to commit to them until I know what else is out there. Plus they are listed as gobies so they won't get along with the YCG. 

What am I missing? What's out there that's so nice, so rare, so expensive that it hardly comes up for sale? I don't mind waiting. The only other requirements are they be reef and crustacean safe. 

$200 for a fish is fine, but nothing over. No $30,000 fish from Hawaii. ?

eta: I'm not rich and dropping hints that I am (that's an asshole thing to do). I don't have $200 to spend on a fish - but I'm willing to wait and save for the right one. ??

• Like 2
BustytheSnowMaam

The different gobies will get along with each other just fine.  It's fine to put a firefish with a YCG, or a shrimp goby with a YCG.  I don't know where you got that info.  When you buy the YCG, ask the LFS to feed it in front of you so that you can see it is healthy and eating.  

They are cheap and common, but I like damsels- a yellowtail damsel is colorful, social, and pugnacious.  Make sure you put it in last, however, as this will be the most aggressive fish.  Domino damsels will host a rose BTA.  It's a little something different besides the typical clown/anemone pairing.  

Another option- sixline wrasse.  

• Like 2

Assessor instead of the basslet, Randall's can now be found captive bred but watch out for deformities.

instead of a firefish, go with a lined dartfish, more unusual and rare but they won't destroy your wallet.

• Like 2
Thunder Goose

I got a sailfin blenny (from KP aquatics) and she is very cute and personable. She doesn't swim around much - she perches, partially hidden, and dashes out for food.

• Like 1
SelectedByNature
1 hour ago, Nidilsky said:

The filefish is quite possibly the least cute fish on the planet.

I find it rather cute.

• Like 2
thespinningsadhu
2 hours ago, Nidilsky said:

The filefish is quite possibly the least cute fish on the planet.

They're totally cute!! They remind me of seahorses and anglerfish. 

My geometric pygmy hawkfish that I ordered from divers den just came today. It's super interesting little fish, not sure if it would be safe with sexy shrimp though. Possum and pygmy wrasses are super cool fish too, you should look into those if you haven't already. The firefish should not have a problem with the clown goby as it's a dartfish and not actually a goby. Also I don't think a type of shrimp goby would have a problem with a clown goby.

• Like 1
thespinningsadhu

All ya'll rock! I'm looking at all the suggestions. I do believe I have decided on an ORA Filefish when they are available. Not a definite. It shows that they love Xenia and frankly, I don't want any in my tank. I may have to do a species only tank in a year or so. 

• Like 1

I think it's the radial filefish in particular that have a fondness for xenia, ORA also produces bristail and white spotted pygmy filefish as well.

• Like 1

My favorite smaller fish is the yasha goby with the Randalls pistol shrimp. Small interesting and the shrimp has some strength to move pieces close to his size.

• Like 2

Firefish aren't gobies. They are dartfish.

The purple firefish is gorgeous about $40 here. It will get along fine with other gobies.

Tailspot blenny, orange spot watchman(will be fine with your substrate, its not a sifter), royal gramma

I wouldn't do damsels, they are known to be mean and difficult to get rid of.

• Like 1
Thunder Goose
14 hours ago, thespinningsadhu said:

All ya'll rock! I'm looking at all the suggestions. I do believe I have decided on an ORA Filefish when they are available. Not a definite. It shows that they love Xenia and frankly, I don't want any in my tank. I may have to do a species only tank in a year or so. 

I tried to get an ORA Filefish earlier this year. They are apparently having some issues with this species - the ones they had quit breeding and they had to bring in new ones - so it may take a while before they're available. That's on my wish list, too!

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
RayWhisperer

I'm bored, so I'm bringing this thread that I never read before back to the top.

As I understand it, OP has a 13.5 gallon tank. So I think any filefish, even a Pygmy variety would be out of the question. Now, 3 fish in that small size isn't ideal. However, 3 fish that stay very small will be fine. With the title in mind, and the OP's willingness to drop coin on the right fish, I have a few in mind.

flaming prawn goby

https://www.bluezooaquatics.com/productDetail.asp?did=1&cid=18&pid=567

White cap shrimp goby

https://www.bluezooaquatics.com/productDetail.asp?did=1&cid=18&pid=23796

pink streaked wrasse

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+1378+2908&pcatid=2908&ref=4395&subref=AA&cmpid=PPC-G-B-4395&t=1&gclid=CI3esu7v79QCFZQbgQodztsHUw

Any one of the 3 possum wrasses

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+1378+3041&pcatid=3041

all those fish are relatively uncommon in the hobby.all those fish stay small, and all those fish will coexist with a yellow clown goby, and a fire fish without issue.

thespinningsadhu

Hi! Yes! I've decided to wait on the pink streaked wrasse - have the money ready and waiting for the right specimen. Also the flaming prawn goby is very, very nice but I like the wrasse more. I also like the tail spot goby immensely - I will probably choose that and forgo the wrasse. The common ones are too dark. I really fell in love with the one @Lula_Mae bought and never got. It was so pretty. 

The goby is fully grown - he's a fat whopper at 2 inches (and almost that in girth). Peejoe, the ocellaris, is a scant one inch and from what I've read won't get past three inches and that's an exception. 

I spot feed the fish and corals and anemones - there's no extra nutrient in my tank. I also change at least three gallons a week and my numbers are good. 

I know how you feel about fish in small tanks - I'm seeing Fluval V gallons set up that have five and six fish. Seems cruel - not enough room to swim. 

I kept the small size in mind when choosing fish - the goby, as you know, is a percher - no active swimming. The ocellaris flits all over the place - he's my swimmer but tee-tiny. Who knows what the future brings? Maybe a 16 gallon AIO or 20 gallon long - I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, thespinningsadhu said:

Hi! Yes! I've decided to wait on the pink streaked wrasse - have the money ready and waiting for the right specimen. Also the flaming prawn goby is very, very nice but I like the wrasse more. I also like the tail spot goby immensely - I will probably choose that and forgo the wrasse. The common ones are too dark. I really fell in love with the one @Lula_Mae bought and never got. It was so pretty. 

The goby is fully grown - he's a fat whopper at 2 inches (and almost that in girth). Peejoe, the ocellaris, is a scant one inch and from what I've read won't get past three inches and that's an exception. 

I spot feed the fish and corals and anemones - there's no extra nutrient in my tank. I also change at least three gallons a week and my numbers are good. 

I know how you feel about fish in small tanks - I'm seeing Fluval V gallons set up that have five and six fish. Seems cruel - not enough room to swim. 

I kept the small size in mind when choosing fish - the goby, as you know, is a percher - no active swimming. The ocellaris flits all over the place - he's my swimmer but tee-tiny. Who knows what the future brings? Maybe a 16 gallon AIO or 20 gallon long - I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. 

If you can't find a pastel PSW like mine, definitely consider a regular one as they are still pretty and sweet-natured from what I understand; alternately a possum wrasse is similar size and there's a few different types--I'd probably get one of those if I had a better established pod population since they apparently can be harder to get eating prepared foods than the PSW.  I also was looking at the twin spot bimaculatus blenny and almost ordered it but then the ill-fated wrasse popped up and now LiveAquaria is out of stock on them.  Ah, well.  At least they have green banded gobies back in stock lol.

• Like 1

As others have said, you can mix different types of Gobys. Firefish aren't gobys. That said, some of my favorite fish, all docile and play well with others.

1. Assessors - Yellow or Randall's

2. Pygmy Wrasses - Possum or Pink-Streaked

3. Swalesi Basslet - I have mine with shrimp. Get at your own risk.

4. Yasha Hashe Goby

Good Luck

• Like 1