ReefCleaners.org

20g nuvo stocking and aquascape

The Wiz

Hello everyone, 

I'd like to start by saying that although I just signed up for my own nano reef account, ive been lurking through these forums for months and have found a wealth of help and answered questions; this seems like a great and helpful community that I'm happy to now be a part of.

So I started my first nuvo 20 gallon nano reef and it has been up and running for just over a month now. This is my first attempt at saltwater, although I am not new to fishkeeping. Basically, im having second thoughts about some of my ideas and would just like to bounce them off of some experienced members who may be able to steer me away from making poor tank choices.

Here are some details of the tank:

- 20G nuvo fusion

- current USA LED light

- koralia hydor 425 gph

- 18-ish pounds BRS pukani dry rock

- 20 pounds live sand

- innovative marine custom caddy media baskets

-chemi pure blue

- 0 ammonia 0 nitrite 10ppm nitrate

- 1 ruby headed fairy wrasse

- 1 pygmy hawkfish

- 1 large electric blue hermit crab

- 1 medium trochus snail

- 1 small hermit crab

- 4 LPS frags

Things I plan to add:

- reef octopus HOB 1000 skimmer (already ordered should come this week)

- aquamaxx carbon and GFO reactor (to eventually replace the chemi pure blue)

- aquamaxx biopellet tumbler

- Larger clean up crew

- Leopard toby puffer

- Pygmy angelfish

So I'll start with the disclaimer that I know the fairy wrasse in the long run is probably too small for this tank and will most likely not be a permanent member of my reef community. However, she is very small right now (1.5") and seems to be thriving in my tank (hopefully I can upgrade before she grows too big and I have to take her back to my LFS)

So my first question is, did i add too much rock? Ive searched this and I know the simple answer is no, you cant have too much filtration. BUT, i am a little concerned that im reducing my already small water footprint, and want to provide my fish with enough room to swim freely. Basically I just want opinions, could i do better with my aquascape? Should i remove the chunk of rock on the right or get rid of the massive cave piece? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Next, i need help with some questions regarding the stocking of my tank. For one thing, I know i need a bigger CUC. So far theyve been keeping algae under control for the most part, but i woke up to a bit of a diatom bloom again and could definately use some more snails.

I would really like to also add a leopard toby puffer, but I'm not sure it would fit in my tank well. Liveaquaria suggests 30g but lgreens nano fish guide in the stickies says 20g. I know these puffers arent exactly reef safe but id be willing to replace some hermits and snails if it would eat them. What do you think about a leopard toby puffer in my tank? 

I also am interested in a pygmy cherub angel. However I think that might be over stocked if i also had the toby, fairy wrasse, and pygmy hawkfish. Thoughts?

im not too worried about biological load. With the reef octopus 1000 HOB skimmer and biopellets, and bi weekly 25% water changes it seems like id be worried about not enough nutrients if anything? Does anyone have experience with biopellets on a tank this small? Ive read mixed things and it seems like id have to start with a VERY small amount of pellets. But it seems like a good time to try while the system is still new. But like i said im more worried about space. I want my fish to live happy lives where they arent all cramped in against eachother.

so could i do a toby, pygmy angel, fairy wrasse, and pygmy hawkfish? Maybe if i removed some rock to clear up space? Maybe i could get rid of the wrasse and have the toby, pygmy angel, pygmy hawkfish, and a small goby that way i only have two fish really in the water column?

thank you for reading thus far, any comments, thoughts, suggestions, and experiences are welcome and appreciated :)

IMG_6110.JPG

IMG_6112.JPG

IMG_6115.JPG

IMG_6116.JPG

• Like 2

I don't run skimmers or reactors so I'll let someone else help you out there.

That size tank is way too small for that wrasse. Its requirements are 90g. Wrasse need a lot of room, ppl won't even advise a 6 line in a 20g. 

The hawkfish should be fine but you will need to determine compatable fish to go with it.

20g is too small for a toby puffer or angelfish. Puffers require a certain diet which creates a lot of waste.

Angels need a larger tank than 20g.

For 20g and under you need fish for nano tanks.

Clowns, blennies, gobies, royal gramma, firefish.

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

I don't run skimmers or reactors so I'll let someone else help you out there.

That size tank is way too small for that wrasse. Its requirements are 90g. Wrasse need a lot of room, ppl won't even advise a 6 line in a 20g. 

The hawkfish should be fine but you will need to determine compatable fish to go with it.

20g is too small for a toby puffer or angelfish. Puffers require a certain diet which creates a lot of waste.

Angels need a larger tank than 20g.

For 20g and under you need fish for nano tanks.

Clowns, blennies, gobies, royal gramma, firefish.

Like I said, i dont plan on the wrasse being a permanent tank member. However at its current size and behavior it seems to be doing very well. I am not new to fish keeping and know the signs of a stressed fish and this wrasse is doing well for the time being.

The pygmy hawkfish I read is more closely related to anthias than hawkfish so I shouldnt have compatibility problems (especially considering its not even an inch long and almost full grown), it seems to keep to itself in the rockwork.

I guess im just a bit lost because I've read so many contrasting things, for example lgreens stickied nano fish guide say both a toby puffer and dwarf angel would be fine in a 20g. However obviously many think that is not enough. I guess there is no definitive right or wrong in this hobby which I think is what makes it so exciting but also challenging.

appreciate your help and advice

GregEmmitte

I was happy with the Tunze 9001 skimmer. You just have to keep it in chamber 1 where water level remains constant. As soon as water level drops it stops skimming. i don't use reactors. You can get some small damselfish too. Actually here..

http://m.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=15+2124

theres a link for nanofish. And on each fish liveaquaria gives you a reccomended tank size.

• Like 1
Nixperience

Scape looks good. The wrasse will outgrow thag tank fast and needs lots of swim room. Same with angelfish. Angelfish also need swimming room and to be well fed all the time or they will nip corals. No shrimp, snail, or crab is safe with a puffer and they are messy eaters and will muck up the tank fast. They are best to be the only fish in the tank if you really want a puffer. 

• Like 2