Pod Your Reef

Peroxide Dip for Zoanthids

SelectedByNature

SelectedByNature

Has anyone done this for algae removal?

Seems like a lot of people find it effective. 3 parts tank water 1 part hydrogen peroxide and dip the whole frag for 30-60 secs.

I know people use peroxide to remove algae but I didn't think it was an actual dip, I thought more light touch-up with a q-tip on affected areas but not a whole dip.

Specifically looking to do this for zoas. I tried the q-tip method but didn't seem to workout for me (4 days ago).

Thanks,

I've never done an actual dip like you described, but I have often used peroxide to treat algae on and around zoas and most of my other corals as well.  I usually do it for valonia, and it works well, but doesn't seem to eradicate the algae completely in the tank.  For GHA or byopsis, just treat the tank with magic fluconazole.

I apply the peroxide directly to the base/rock where the algae is attached, but instead of what you described with a Q-tip, I prefer to apply it with an old 1ml syringe from one of the Red Sea test kits where you have a nice pointy tip to direct it.  That way I know how much is being applied, and you can see it penetrate into the rock or around the plug.  Before application, I try to get as much algae as I can off with tweezers.  I've often done this with 3%H2O2, but have had much better luck with 35%H2O2 for the last year or so.  I don't intentionally put it on the flesh of the coral itself, but it usually touches it a bit.  I leave it there for 1-3 minutes to soak into the rock and kill the holdfasts.  Then I dunk them in a container of tankwater to rinse off any excess peroxide and replace them in the tank.  They usually open back up after anywhere from 10 minutes to a few hours later depending.

I have tried q-tips, and they are much less effective unless you really soak and re-soak them.  You can't aim them as precisely, but they can be good for wetting algae that you haven't picked off.  Small paintbrushes are supposedly also pretty good.

Sorry, I know you were asking specifically about dipping, but this has been very effective for me, so I've never felt compelled to submerging the entire coral in peroxide, even if diluted.  It irritates them enough as it is, but I've never lost a zoa polyp from this, even when using 35% straight (which I've done multiple times on my utter chaos).  Being too aggressive with the 35% stuff can bleach out SPS if you don't rinse it enough, but most other corals are less sensitive to it, and it works about 1,167% better than 3%peroxide. ;)

@brandon429 has done a lot of experimenting with peroxide - he can probably give more insights here.

• Like 2
SelectedByNature
35 minutes ago, holy carp said:

I've never done an actual dip like you described, but I have often used peroxide to treat algae on and around zoas and most of my other corals as well.  I usually do it for valonia, and it works well, but doesn't seem to eradicate the algae completely in the tank.  For GHA or byopsis, just treat the tank with magic fluconazole.

I apply the peroxide directly to the base/rock where the algae is attached, but instead of what you described with a Q-tip, I prefer to apply it with an old 1ml syringe from one of the Red Sea test kits where you have a nice pointy tip to direct it.  That way I know how much is being applied, and you can see it penetrate into the rock or around the plug.  Before application, I try to get as much algae as I can off with tweezers.  I've often done this with 3%H2O2, but have had much better luck with 35%H2O2 for the last year or so.  I don't intentionally put it on the flesh of the coral itself, but it usually touches it a bit.  I leave it there for 1-3 minutes to soak into the rock and kill the holdfasts.  Then I dunk them in a container of tankwater to rinse off any excess peroxide and replace them in the tank.  They usually open back up after anywhere from 10 minutes to a few hours later depending.

I have tried q-tips, and they are much less effective unless you really soak and re-soak them.  You can't aim them as precisely, but they can be good for wetting algae that you haven't picked off.  Small paintbrushes are supposedly also pretty good.

Sorry, I know you were asking specifically about dipping, but this has been very effective for me, so I've never felt compelled to submerging the entire coral in peroxide, even if diluted.  It irritates them enough as it is, but I've never lost a zoa polyp from this, even when using 35% straight (which I've done multiple times on my utter chaos).  Being too aggressive with the 35% stuff can bleach out SPS if you don't rinse it enough, but most other corals are less sensitive to it, and it works about 1,167% better than 3%peroxide. ;)

@brandon429 has done a lot of experimenting with peroxide - he can probably give more insights here.

That is super helpful thanks a lot!

I'll try this method tonight as it seems much less abrasive for the coral.

I don't dip my corals in peroxide. I use a syringe to add the peroxide directly onto the algae.

I use the syringe from my aiptasia x.

I have done this directly in tank with no ill effects but i turn off all water movement and use small amounts of 3% peroxide

• Like 1
2 hours ago, SelectedByNature said:

Has anyone done this for algae removal?

Seems like a lot of people find it effective. 3 parts tank water 1 part hydrogen peroxide and dip the whole frag for 30-60 secs.

I know people use peroxide to remove algae but I didn't think it was an actual dip, I thought more light touch-up with a q-tip on affected areas but not a whole dip.

Specifically looking to do this for zoas. I tried the q-tip method but didn't seem to workout for me (4 days ago).

Thanks,

Hi! I dipped my zoas, my gsp, candy cane/mushroom combo in peroxide/rodi dip for about 5min. It worked great. Corals are still alive and no longer have GHA. 

• Like 1
SelectedByNature
56 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

I don't dip my corals in peroxide. I use a syringe to add the peroxide directly onto the algae.

I use the syringe from my aiptasia x.

I have done this directly in tank with no ill effects but i turn off all water movement and use small amounts of 3% peroxide

Amazing thank you.

how does it work when directly in the tank? Can you tell when the peroxide comes out? It doesn't immediately disperse?

11 minutes ago, Minmay said:

Hi! I dipped my zoas, my gsp, candy cane/mushroom combo in peroxide/rodi dip for about 5min. It worked great. Corals are still alive and no longer have GHA. 

Awesome thanks! I'll try the syringe method first but good to know!

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, SelectedByNature said:

Amazing thank you.

how does it work when directly in the tank? Can you tell when the peroxide comes out? It doesn't immediately disperse?

Awesome thanks! I'll try the syringe method first but good to know!

Good luck with that. 

• Like 1

Well I am very careful. Where i had to treat gha i couldn't remove the rock. I slowly pour the peroxide onto it with the syringe and do small amounts at a time. I do it before a waterchange. 

All pumps are off. 

It has worked with no ill effects.

Theres a lot online regarding peroxide treatment. 

• Like 1
SelectedByNature
10 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Well I am very careful. Where i had to treat gha i couldn't remove the rock. I slowly pour the peroxide onto it with the syringe and do small amounts at a time. I do it before a waterchange. 

All pumps are off. 

It has worked with no ill effects.

Theres a lot online regarding peroxide treatment. 

Awesome thanks for clarifying.

I did the syringe method last night (to frags not in the tank) and it seems to have worked great.

I was concerned for the zoa polyps as there was bubbling and slight discoloration but this morning they seem to be opening and the algae looks mostly gone.

• Like 2
fishfreak0114

I tried a peroxide dip on zoas once with the water to peroxide ratio you mentioned in the OP.  Unfortunately, they melted shortly after.  They hadn't been doing well before though, so it may not have been the dip.  Just my experience.  I prefer to use a syringe and directly apply to the algae as others have mentioned.

• Like 1
SelectedByNature
9 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

I tried a peroxide dip on zoas once with the water to peroxide ratio you mentioned in the OP.  Unfortunately, they melted shortly after.  They hadn't been doing well before though, so it may not have been the dip.  Just my experience.  I prefer to use a syringe and directly apply to the algae as others have mentioned.

Awesome thanks. I tried the syringe a couple of times now. It definitely seems to work but needs a few attempts I think.

My tank is starting to have decent hair algae popping up :[

I'm quite happy to hear that 

can you imagine how handy it would have been to know about fluconazole back in 2002 it would have really changed our evo

• Like 2

If one combed through the old peroxide threads they'd show any form of 3% dilution applied to zoas to be uneventful. That's not to say we can't search out treated tank/lost zoanthid peroxide posts, but as a statistically significant pattern it is nil in our controlled approach threads.

I've never liked dosing full tank peroxide unless it was for dino wars. Preferred to drain tanks or remove rocks and stab the algae out of rock areas with a kitchen knife, and only spot treat zoanthids rocks outside the tank 

If fluconazole saves that effort then I'll select "things I would have like to have known long ago" for 600 :)

when a larger tank comes my way that stuff w be on hand just for ins

• Like 1
SelectedByNature
2 hours ago, holy carp said:

fluconazole got rid of all my hair algae - we'll see how long it lasts

46 minutes ago, brandon429 said:

If one combed through the old peroxide threads they'd show any form of 3% dilution applied to zoas to be uneventful. That's not to say we can't search out treated tank/lost zoanthid peroxide posts, but as a statistically significant pattern it is nil in our controlled approach threads.

I've never liked dosing full tank peroxide unless it was for dino wars. Preferred to drain tanks or remove rocks and stab the algae out of rock areas with a kitchen knife, and only spot treat zoanthids rocks outside the tank 

If fluconazole saves that effort then I'll select "things I would have like to have known long ago" for 600 :)

when a larger tank comes my way that stuff w be on hand just for ins

I'm trying to find infomation about fluconazole + algae online but seems like people use different methods dosing... What did you do? Which fluconazole products?

I also see people use Vibrant aquarium cleaner for hair algae. I'll try to get a picture of what I'm taking about but looks like carpet green fuzz patches.

Fluconazole is pretty simple to use.

I did the following:

1. Buy Fish Fluconazole :P.  The cheapest places I found to get it are Payless Pet Products and FishLifeAntibiotics.
  2. Remove carbon, polyfilter, and any other adsorbent media like chemipure
  3. Leave any phosphate reducing media and any biological filtration.
  4. Turn off skimmer for first few days
  5. Dissolve contents of 1 200mg capsule for every 10 gallons or portion thereof of water in system.  i.e. I have 15 gallons and used 2 capsules = 400mg.  Most people cut the capsules open, discard the casing, and dissolve in bit of tank water and dump it in.  I actually opened the capsules and mixed it in freshly made seawater in my salt mixing bucket for a water change.  It's not very water soluble, but that's OK
  6. Don't do another water change for 2 weeks to treat bryopsis or for 3 weeks to treat GHA
  7. After 3 weeks, I did a water change and put in fresh carbon.

Since I wasn't doing water changes on schedule, I doubled the amount of phosguard and swapped out the filter sock 3 times a week instead of my normal 2.  I turned the skimmer back on after 3 days.  GHA seemed unaffected for the first 4-5 days and then just started withering away.  

Reference these two threads for more info:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/bryopsis-cure-my-battle-with-bryopsis-using-fluconazole.285096/

I've been using Vibrant for a number of months now, and I can't say I would confidently attribute any changes to its use.  It certainly had no beneficial effect on GHA or bryopsis, but *may* be helping keep valonia at bay, though I still use 35% h2o2 on it when I find any.

• Like 1

hey have you played around with that 35% stuff its mean :)

I can't believe it was oTC at the healthfood store lol that stuff is amazing danger but lovely for algae burning

I enjoy putting it in my sink drain for extreme frothy burnings and cleanings. its fun to put it on an old dirty dishes sponge too, but the eye protection part is the scary thing when jacking around with a burning solution that should require someone to be 30 yrs of age before purchasing lol. I wont even keep it in a house with small children, when my kiddo was small I waited until a treatment was really needed then Id go buy the bottle for twenty bucks, hit the area, then dump it all out after. wont even risk it. above all OTC fluids one can purchase, that's the meanest imo. beats bleach too.

• Like 1
SelectedByNature
3 hours ago, holy carp said:

Fluconazole is pretty simple to use.

I did the following:

1. Buy Fish Fluconazole :P.  The cheapest places I found to get it are Payless Pet Products and FishLifeAntibiotics.
  2. Remove carbon, polyfilter, and any other adsorbent media like chemipure
  3. Leave any phosphate reducing media and any biological filtration.
  4. Turn off skimmer for first few days
  5. Dissolve contents of 1 200mg capsule for every 10 gallons or portion thereof of water in system.  i.e. I have 15 gallons and used 2 capsules = 400mg.  Most people cut the capsules open, discard the casing, and dissolve in bit of tank water and dump it in.  I actually opened the capsules and mixed it in freshly made seawater in my salt mixing bucket for a water change.  It's not very water soluble, but that's OK
  6. Don't do another water change for 2 weeks to treat bryopsis or for 3 weeks to treat GHA
  7. After 3 weeks, I did a water change and put in fresh carbon.

Since I wasn't doing water changes on schedule, I doubled the amount of phosguard and swapped out the filter sock 3 times a week instead of my normal 2.  I turned the skimmer back on after 3 days.  GHA seemed unaffected for the first 4-5 days and then just started withering away.  

Reference these two threads for more info:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/bryopsis-cure-my-battle-with-bryopsis-using-fluconazole.285096/

I've been using Vibrant for a number of months now, and I can't say I would confidently attribute any changes to its use.  It certainly had no beneficial effect on GHA or bryopsis, but *may* be helping keep valonia at bay, though I still use 35% h2o2 on it when I find any.

Thanks this information is super helpful!

I'll read through the thread. 

3 hours ago, brandon429 said:

hey have you played around with that 35% stuff its mean :)

I can't believe it was oTC at the healthfood store lol that stuff is amazing danger but lovely for algae burning

I enjoy putting it in my sink drain for extreme frothy burnings and cleanings. its fun to put it on an old dirty dishes sponge too, but the eye protection part is the scary thing when jacking around with a burning solution that should require someone to be 30 yrs of age before purchasing lol. I wont even keep it in a house with small children, when my kiddo was small I waited until a treatment was really needed then Id go buy the bottle for twenty bucks, hit the area, then dump it all out after. wont even risk it. above all OTC fluids one can purchase, that's the meanest imo. beats bleach too.

Wow okay the stuff is really no joke haha.

I'll consider it. The algae is in pretty early changes and I dropped my nutrients recently so we'll see.