inTank Media Baskets

BRS lid kit

LX20000

Just wanted to let you know I was totally disappointed with the BRS DIY mesh top kit.  First off, the metal for the frame is flimsy almost beyond belief.  It's about 40% the width of the Innovative Marine metal, and the gauge of the metal itself is incredibly thin... almost like 10 pieces of aluminum foil thickness.

Given the flimsy nature of this kit, the price of $38 is absolutely ridiculous.  This is probably $7 worth of material.

No you say?  OK, let's look at the pricing.....

For $37 for the 2ft kit I get.....   8 ft. of flimsy frame, 16.25 ft2 of mesh, about 25 ft of tubing and the roller tool.

NOW, if you order the 4ft kit, I get.....   14 ft of flimsy frame (75% more), 42 ft2 of mesh (258% more) 25 ft tubing 50% and a roller

The price of this kit is $45.

So for $7... I get 75% more frame, and 250% more net... basically demonstrating that the total cost of this material is EXTREMELY low.

I also posted a negative review of this product on your site, and it did not show up.  Hummm.... maybe that's why this screen top kit has 5 start review?  You delete all the other less than stellar reviews.  That has me questioning the ratings of all your products.

This product is a rip off of epic proportions... at least for the 2ft... buyers of that kit basically subsidize the much larger kits. 

• Like 2
HarryPotter

When I made mine, I just used their mesh and then got a window screen  kit from Home Depot. Ended up being like $20 and I had a lot left over. 

All it seems to be is literally window screening material.  You can actually get the mesh as bird netting in HD/Lowes.  For the price, the IM kits have nice edge material, but their mesh is a bit dense for my liking.

I will investigate some of these alternatives.  Did not think of Home Depot for kits... I guess they sell corner pieces too... and do they have non metallic mesh ?

11 minutes ago, LX20000 said:

I will investigate some of these alternatives.  Did not think of Home Depot for kits... I guess they sell corner pieces too... and do they have non metallic mesh ?

I have made my 75 gallon tops out of mess from home depot. They should have fiberglass screen and they should sell corners 

I also made mine with black aluminum window frames from Home Depot.

I got the really small white/translucent mesh screen from Ikea. It was actually made for going under furniture, but works perfectly.

My total cost was about $15.

just did one yesterday from homedepot......got one 7 foot piece of 7/16 x 3/4 inch window screen metal plus 4 corners for under 10 dollars from homedepot and order the mesh on ebay for $2.99 for a 3x3 foot piece of white mesh with 1/8 inch gaps

graftobny142
1 hour ago, moosubi said:

All it seems to be is literally window screening material.  You can actually get the mesh as bird netting in HD/Lowes.  For the price, the IM kits have nice edge material, but their mesh is a bit dense for my liking.

HD/Lowes don't have the clear netting, just black. At least the ones I went to

4 minutes ago, themummra said:

HD/Lowes don't have the clear netting, just black.

My local HD had it in clear, though at that point I didn't need it.  Regardless, you can get it in other places besides BRS, who seem to be the most expensive.  amazon has some that's a bit cheaper (at the time it's $12 for 6'x4' which is not cheaper, but price fluctuates...): https://www.amazon.com/Clear-Mesh-Netting/dp/B00OABXY9O/ and of course the ebay link above.

• Like 1
graftobny142

With a lot of their stuff, and any stores nowadays, you are paying for convenience. All of the materials for this DIY stuff can be sourced incredibly cheap on ebay, amazon, etc.

Yeh, I actually had some leftover heavy duty window frame from making 90% solar screens for the house, so all I needed was some corners and netting.

4 hours ago, LX20000 said:

Just wanted to let you know I was totally disappointed with the BRS DIY mesh top kit.  First off, the metal for the frame is flimsy almost beyond belief.  It's about 40% the width of the Innovative Marine metal, and the gauge of the metal itself is incredibly thin... almost like 10 pieces of aluminum foil thickness.

Given the flimsy nature of this kit, the price of $38 is absolutely ridiculous.  This is probably $7 worth of material.

No you say?  OK, let's look at the pricing.....

For $37 for the 2ft kit I get.....   8 ft. of flimsy frame, 16.25 ft2 of mesh, about 25 ft of tubing and the roller tool.

NOW, if you order the 4ft kit, I get.....   14 ft of flimsy frame (75% more), 42 ft2 of mesh (258% more) 25 ft tubing 50% and a roller

The price of this kit is $45.

So for $7... I get 75% more frame, and 250% more net... basically demonstrating that the total cost of this material is EXTREMELY low.

I also posted a negative review of this product on your site, and it did not show up.  Hummm.... maybe that's why this screen top kit has 5 start review?  You delete all the other less than stellar reviews.  That has me questioning the ratings of all your products.

This product is a rip off of epic proportions... at least for the 2ft... buyers of that kit basically subsidize the much larger kits. 

Hey there,

I'm very sorry about your experience with the DIY kits and you are absolutely right, everything included in this kit is definitely much cheaper at the hardware store! Not only that, but we actually mention it specifically in our video about how to put one together :) .... https://youtu.be/By4ar1Gkl4M?t=24    

Really, the hardest thing to source when you are building your own from Home Depot is the polypropylene netting which we also have separately. We offer the entire kit with window  framing more as a convenience for those who don't know or don't want to shop at a hardware store and would just like everything at once. 

I completely agree with you on the pricing for these kits! It's absolutely much more on our site than you could purchase yourself at the local store . Out of necessity for offering the entire kit, we also have to cover the elevated cost of shipping for the large-tubular packaging along with another package for the accessories. After all is said and done, the price tag ends up higher than you would expect in order to offer the convenience. :)

Your review will absolutely be posted on our site! The only reason it is not currently posted, is that reviews are not automatically approved and need to be manually approved by our content manager, Charlie. Unfortunately he is out sick today and he does not log-in to approve reviews during the weekend. I have no doubts you should see your review, good or bad, once he returns to the office! 

I really hope this clears up any confusion about these kits. I've sent you a PM so our CS manager can follow up with you about this order and I know he will be able to resolve this for you immediately! :) 

Thanks! 

-Randy

• Like 5
2 hours ago, LX20000 said:

Where do you get heavy duty window frame ??

At HD, it's right next to the regular stuff, there's just different thicknesses.  An employee should be able to direct you to the heavier stuff since I don't actually remember what it's called exactly...

1 hour ago, Randy_BRS said:

Hey there,

I'm very sorry about your experience with the DIY kits and you are absolutely right, everything included in this kit is definitely much cheaper at the hardware store! Not only that, but we actually mention it specifically in our video about how to put one together :) .... https://youtu.be/By4ar1Gkl4M?t=24    

Really, the hardest thing to source when you are building your own from Home Depot is the polypropylene netting which we also have separately. We offer the entire kit with window  framing more as a convenience for those who don't know or don't want to shop at a hardware store and would just like everything at once. 

I completely agree with you on the pricing for these kits! It's absolutely much more on our site than you could purchase yourself at the local store . Out of necessity for offering the entire kit, we also have to cover the elevated cost of shipping for the large-tubular packaging along with another package for the accessories. After all is said and done, the price tag ends up higher than you would expect in order to offer the convenience. :)

Your review will absolutely be posted on our site! The only reason it is not currently posted, is that reviews are not automatically approved and need to be manually approved by our content manager, Charlie. Unfortunately he is out sick today and he does not log-in to approve reviews during the weekend. I have no doubts you should see your review, good or bad, once he returns to the office! 

I really hope this clears up any confusion about these kits. I've sent you a PM so our CS manager can follow up with you about this order and I know he will be able to resolve this for you immediately! :) 

Thanks! 

-Randy

Glad to see BRS feedback, and while many things can be cheaper and sourced for less, I try my best to support shops that progress the hobby and will pay a few extra $ more if necessary!

• Like 4

I'll stand by BRS and their customer service. They will always do whatever possible to make sure your satisfied. 

My own personal experience speaks to that. I ordered 25lbs of Pukani rock, and received a 25lb chunk of Tonga Shelf rock. A beautiful piece in and of itself, but unusable in my Mr Aqua 12.

BRS immediately sent me a new shipment (of actual Pukani) and for my trouble insisted I keep the $75 dollar piece of Tonga Shelf for my troubles. 

I have no doubt they will work to keep your business.

• Like 1
graftobny142
Just now, JcSH2o said:

I'll stand by BRS and their customer service. They will always do whatever possible to make sure your satisfied. 

My own personal experience speaks to that. I ordered 25lbs of Pukani rock, and received a 25lb chunk of Tonga Shelf rock. A beautiful piece in and of itself, but unusable in my Mr Aqua 12.

BRS immediately sent me a new shipment (of actual Pukani) and for my trouble insisted I keep the $75 dollar piece of Tonga Shelf for my troubles. 

I have no doubt they will work to keep your business.

Would cost them more to pay for shipping the rock back than the rock is actually worth.

6 hours ago, themummra said:

Would cost them more to pay for shipping the rock back than the rock is actually worth.

Since BRS offers free shipping on everything no matter the dollar amount or size, I highly doubt that they pay more than $75 dollars to ship 25lbs.

You can say that they pay a tiny fraction of that to obtain the rock in the first place, and I'll still say the items true worth is what it's sold for. 

Either way you slice it, @BulkReefSupply did right by me. Hands down. 

• Like 1
Thunder Goose

I'm with the previous posts - I think BRStv and their research is so valuable I'm willing to spend more in order to support that. 

• Like 1

OK... so time passes... you calm down.  I got several messages from Randy, and he made a very generous offer to make me happy.  I did NOT take him up on the offer, because at the end of the day, I bought the kits, I assembled the kits and I am using the kits.  So, I could have returned them, I chose to keep them, so I don't want anything back.  I hate people who fleece companies by complaining and try to get money back, and then still use the product.... not going there.....

The fact that he tried to make me happy is a great indication they are a great company, and I will also agree with those that say they do a great job supporting the hobby, so at the end of the day, that is worth something too.....

So I just ordered another reservoir from them, I've calmed down.  First world problem.  Onward we move.

• Like 3
  • Recommended Discussions