Jump to content
thespinningsadhu

Please Pass Judgment

Recommended Posts

thespinningsadhu

I discovered (by exploring the nooks and crannies of this hallowed forum) that we can embed Instagram videos and photos. So cool. 

 

I recorded a minute video of my frogspawn and the new duncan and would like for you to tell me what you think about the flow they get. 

 

I have the Fluval 13.5 with the stock output thing but I added a nano 200 gph with the rotating head so that there is a "pulse". 

 

I would like to see what you guys think about the flow and tell me if it's good. I have looked and I can't find any definitions to "high flow" or "medium flow" (that might be a great sticky for the beginner's forum if someone defined each of those with a video!). I don't want to move the corals much but I have seen the frogspawn way longer in my tank but he was in a stronger, laminar flow. 

 

To see the water "pulse" the duncan you'll have to watch for a minute. As a bonus there is a tiny, tiny sexy shrimp towards the end. Also, what is all the white schmootz on the inside glass? I can't figure it out. I think it may be sediment from the live sand? I don't have a mag float yet. 

 

I appreciate, as always, any judgment passed. 

 

*can't figure out how to embed Instagram video... it's not auto-doing like I read it should. :(@Christopher Marks

 

**shit. I can't even figure out how to get the plain ol' link. I'm worthless. You may pelt me with live rock. 

 

*** hot diggity dog! I did it! You may continue to pelt me with live rock as long as it is fully cured and is beautiful with coralline and teeming with life. 

 

 

 

 

 


 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Hippieheadshot

That is what I would call light to slightly moderate flow.

 

White stuff is probably just film algea, time to get a scrapper!

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
thespinningsadhu

I don't think it's algae as it was there from the instant I filled the tank with the sand and water. I'm pretty sure it's from the sand - I just can't figure out what it is and why it sticks. 

 

So do you think the flow is good for the corals or that they need more?  I can easily redirect the split nozzle. 

Share this post


Link to post
Hippieheadshot

Frog/octospawn is great, I'd call that perfect. The Duncan could use more flow in my opinion. I'll upload a video of mine in a second. :)

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Hippieheadshot

Well I had to learn how to use Instagram, you think I would know being there target demographic LOL

 

@thespinningsadhu this is in my JBJ RL45 with a W-4 on pulsing mode. First half is Duncan, then my octaspawn and Hammer frags

 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
thespinningsadhu
10 minutes ago, Hippieheadshot said:

Frog/octospawn is great, I'd call that perfect. The Duncan could use more flow in my opinion. I'll upload a video of mine in a second. :)

 

LOL! Now you tell me! I got brave and popped him off his pedestal and glued him to the tip top rock. He seems very happy. 

 

I adjusted the flow to ricochet off the front glass and get the Duncans. 

 

I also found out I had way too much water in the aquarium. Took about half a gallon. 

 

The other reason the frogspawn is happy is because the little shit slimed me and now my arms are red and itchy and tingly - even after washing. 

 

Touché, frogspawn, touché. 

Share this post


Link to post
Hippieheadshot
Just now, thespinningsadhu said:

LOL! Now you tell me! I got brave and popped him off his pedestal and glued him to the tip top rock. He seems very happy. 

 

I adjusted the flow to ricochet off the front glass and get the Duncans. 

 

I also found out I had way too much water in the aquarium. Took about half a gallon. 

 

The other reason the frogspawn is happy is because the little shit slimed me and now my arms are red and itchy and tingly - even after washing. 

 

Touché, frogspawn, touché. 

 

 

Video is up!  That's why you ALWAYS wear gloves! Not worth the trouble when all it takes is a couple seconds to throw them on. ;)

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
thespinningsadhu
Just now, Hippieheadshot said:

 

 

Video is up!  That's why you ALWAYS wear gloves! Not worth the trouble when all it takes is a couple seconds to throw them on. ;)

 

Now you tell me! ? I don't have any. I'll be sure to get some. I'd seen that you should wear them while fragging but not while moving. 

 

Yours is is the cutest, fattest frogspawn I've ever seen. You may send him to me. 

Did you're come like that - with little bumps all the way down the tentacle? Mine doesn't have that. It didn't even have it in the store. 

Share this post


Link to post
Hippieheadshot
Just now, thespinningsadhu said:

 Yours is is the cutest, fattest frogspawn I've ever seen. You may send him to me. 

 

Haha yeah it is a golden octospawn. 

Octospawns have shorter, thicker tentacles and are a bit more lumpy and uneven with the color tips. They are a little harder to find it seems but other then appearance they are exactly like frogspawn.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
thespinningsadhu
11 minutes ago, Hippieheadshot said:

 

Haha yeah it is a golden octospawn. 

Octospawns have shorter, thicker tentacles and are a bit more lumpy and uneven with the color tips. They are a little harder to find it seems but other then appearance they are exactly like frogspawn.

Here's the new video. He seems totally happy. 

 

At at one point the flow blew his tentacles away from his center and I saw that he had two buttholes. Does this mean he's going to split? 

 

Also, now that I have the water at the right level the surface has cleared dramatically. Wow. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Hippieheadshot

Haha if you see two then yes it is two heads, normally they will branch off from the stock unless you have a wall variety. They don't split by tearing.

 

Flow looks good and happy. Keep an eye on it up top an make sure it doesn't bleach from the lights.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Pinner Reef

Actually; if the heads have two mouths it is in the process of growing and splitting. This doesn't happen over night but it will eventually create twos heads from one. But, yes, baby heads will also "bud " off the side of the skeletal stocks.

 

Edit: The flow looks good on both of them ;)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Hippieheadshot
24 minutes ago, Pinner Reef said:

Actually; if the heads have two mouths it is in the process of growing and splitting. This doesn't happen over night but it will eventually create twos heads from one. But, yes, baby heads will also "bud " off the side of the skeletal stocks.

 

Edit: The flow looks good on both of them ;)

 

 

I was under the impression they grew from the new area, like a plant splits it you cut it. I thought this was not "tear in half" style so they are growing side by side, but not from ripping g apart. Does that make since?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Pinner Reef

Candy cane corals are easiest to see it on. The head/s on the right side are just beginning... the head/s on the left are nearly finished.

 Image result for splitting frogspawn two mouths

 

"Split" is probably not the right word, more like "grow apart".

 

 

 

 

Here's what I mean by "budding" out of the side of the skeleton.

 

Image result for frogspawn coral sprout

 

 

 

If it is a branching type it will do both of these. A wall type will keep producing new mouths but never really finish splitting which has the effect of elongating the coral's shape.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
thespinningsadhu
39 minutes ago, Pinner Reef said:

Candy cane corals are easiest to see it on. The head/s on the right side are just beginning... the head/s on the left are nearly finished.

 Image result for splitting frogspawn two mouths

 

"Split" is probably not the right word, more like "grow apart".

 

 

 

 

Here's what I mean by "budding" out of the side of the skeleton.

 

Image result for frogspawn coral sprout

 

 

 

If it is a branching type it will do both of these. A wall type will keep producing new mouths but never really finish splitting which has the effect of elongating the coral's shape.

Thanks, ya'll. What causes the budding?

Share this post


Link to post
TheBig053

Good thread. Been messing with my flow and LPS constantly trying to find thebright mix. I think I finally have the flow down but still need to move the corals around some. My new duncan seems content, but my hammer x frogspawn is in a prettyblownfoow area. It seems happy though. All puffed up and tentacles fully extended. It is also in the process of splitting a single head. Here it is. 

 

GxbbJin.jpg

 

I have a koralia 425 on constant and SW-2 on pulse but only on 2 speed. I suppose i could jack up the jebao but I think it will end digging a trench in my sand. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Clown79

With euphylia when there is too much flow the tenticles usually stay tight and less flow they open up more.

 

They don't like direct flow. 

 

My duncans closed up with a lot of flow.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
thespinningsadhu
2 hours ago, TheBig053 said:

Good thread. Been messing with my flow and LPS constantly trying to find thebright mix. I think I finally have the flow down but still need to move the corals around some. My new duncan seems content, but my hammer x frogspawn is in a prettyblownfoow area. It seems happy though. All puffed up and tentacles fully extended. It is also in the process of splitting a single head. Here it is. 

 

GxbbJin.jpg

 

I have a koralia 425 on constant and SW-2 on pulse but only on 2 speed. I suppose i could jack up the jebao but I think it will end digging a trench in my sand. 

That's a pretty piece of coral. 

Share this post


Link to post
Pinner Reef
On 6/11/2017 at 5:39 PM, thespinningsadhu said:

Thanks, ya'll. What causes the budding?

Dunno: maybe someone else can chime in on this... That said; I've always assumed that a grain of sand or something gets ingested and then gets embedded along the skeleton and starts an offshoot. after that the flesh just fills in and starts a new head.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1891Bro
3 minutes ago, Pinner Reef said:

Dunno: maybe someone else can chime in on this... That said; I've always assumed that a grain of sand or something gets ingested and then gets embedded along the skeleton and starts an offshoot. after that the flesh just fills in and starts a new head.

That's how oysters make pearls. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Pinner Reef
4 minutes ago, 1891Bro said:

That's how oysters make pearls. 

That's pretty much where I've gleaned the theory from.

Share this post


Link to post
TheBig053
On June 11, 2017 at 10:06 PM, Clown79 said:

With euphylia when there is too much flow the tenticles usually stay tight and less flow they open up more.

 

They don't like direct flow. 

 

My duncans closed up with a lot of flow.

That's odd, my Duncan's seem to enjoy more flow. Maybe I just found the sweet spot for them.  

 

16 minutes ago, Pinner Reef said:

That's pretty much where I've gleaned the theory from.

Well then it's settled! It's science!

Share this post


Link to post
Pinner Reef
3 minutes ago, TheBig053 said:

 

 

Well then it's settled! It's science!

Image result for yay science meme

Share this post


Link to post
TheBig053
17 minutes ago, Pinner Reef said:

Image result for yay science meme

 

image.gif

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
thespinningsadhu

LOL. 

882EC9FC-4593-49DC-BA2E-441A1325CCDB-1197-000004E17D3E745F.jpeg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recommended Discussions

×
×
  • Create New...