inTank Media Baskets

Green banded gobies bred.

Nidilsky

Any advice or comments appreciated. 

I have them separated and will be getting an airstone and rotifers today.

As for food, other than the smaller the better, any suggestions?

Congratulations!

They will need more rotifers than you can buy.  You'll have to culture them (and phytoplankton, to feed the rotifers).  With a limited food supply, you might want to think about just trying to save a few (versus all of them).

Most of what I know about raising fish larvae, I learned from Clownfishes, by Joyce D. Wilkerson (available as a kindle ebook).  It talks about culturing phyto and rotifers, and raising the larvae.  I suppose some of the information might not apply to gobies, but it's still a good read.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, seabass said:

Congratulations!

They will need more rotifers than you can buy.  You'll have to culture them (and phytoplankton, to feed the rotifers).  With a limited food supply, you might want to think about just trying to save a few (versus all of them).

Most of what I know about raising fish larvae, I learned from Clownfishes, by Joyce D. Wilkerson (available as a kindle ebook).  It talks about culturing phyto and rotifers, and raising the larvae.  I suppose some of the information might not apply to gobies, but it's still a good read.

I have 1 million s strain rotifers on the way. hopefully, by tomorrow.

Seperated approx. 50 or 60 of them. Of which there is probably 30 or 40 left kickin.

I have been trying to feed them coral frenzy. It is the only thing I could find that had rotifers in it. But everything I have read is that they require live food.

1 minute ago, seabass said:

It's possible that the rotifers might be too large for the larvae: http://www.orafarm.com/blog/2014/05/02/masked-goby/

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-12/ft/index.php

I got the s strain rotifers which is the smallest available. But won't arrive til later today or tomorrow.

2 hours ago, seabass said:

A few more links to look at:

Don't get down.  With each attempt, you'll learn more about what to do and how to meet their needs.

Nigel, the male goby, disappeared again. So, I am sure I will have another opportunity. 

I will culture the rotifers when they get here, so I will have enough to get through until the next phase of their lives. I will stock the fuge, display and the breeding tank. I just ordered some tisbes as well to stock the nursery, to keep the population in check until the next hatch. Thanks for the links!

• Like 1
gone_PHiSHin

awesome to hear and good luck!  i can't help you one bit, but i'm very intrigued by these threads.  i know seabass is very knowledgeable about working with clownfish, so he's probably your best source here

i love green banded gobies and have been looking for one at my LFSs for months now, still haven't found one :angry:

4 hours ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

awesome to hear and good luck!  i can't help you one bit, but i'm very intrigued by these threads.  i know seabass is very knowledgeable about working with clownfish, so he's probably your best source here

i love green banded gobies and have been looking for one at my LFSs for months now, still haven't found one :angry:

Who knows a few might survive and I'll send you one!:D

• Like 2
gone_PHiSHin

thanks seabass, i'll have to look into that place.  if anyone is familiar or has worked with livetanks.com please chime in with you experience with them.

and also thanks Nidilsky, that would be awesome too!!  

anyone know if GBG will go after amphipods?  i have a feeling they're a little too small for the ones i have, but maybe they'll eat the small ones!  

i have a population of amphipods that are eating my blasto colonies!  i keep reading that amphipods won't eat your corals, that they only go after dead material but this is absolutely not true...i watched one of them take a chunk of fluorescent polyp off the colony and run back into the live rock.  i'm going crazy trying to get rid of these things and i really don't want to put a wrasse in my tank...

• Like 1
1 hour ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

thanks seabass, i'll have to look into that place.  if anyone is familiar or has worked with livetanks.com please chime in with you experience with them.

and also thanks Nidilsky, that would be awesome too!!  

anyone know if GBG will go after amphipods?  i have a feeling they're a little too small for the ones i have, but maybe they'll eat the small ones!  

i have a population of amphipods that are eating my blasto colonies!  i keep reading that amphipods won't eat your corals, that they only go after dead material but this is absolutely not true...i watched one of them take a chunk of fluorescent polyp off the colony and run back into the live rock.  i'm going crazy trying to get rid of these things and i really don't want to put a wrasse in my tank...

My gbg eat pods (the bigger, the better). I also have a possum wrasse he eats a lot of pods.

2 minutes ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

(i didn't mean to hijack the thread with my own problems...:lol:)

anyway, keep us updated on the raising the youngins!  

Hi-jack away! 

Could be shrimp. I had a couple for a while. The gobies teamed up and took em out.

They all have perished.:(

Just got home.  Nothing swimming.

gone_PHiSHin

that's great news on the GBG eating (big) pods!   i am going to try to get one in this tank as soon as possible i think

not so great news that all have perished...there will be a next time.  i'm assuming it's TONS of trial and error raising fry 

• Like 2
29 minutes ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

that's great news on the GBG eating (big) pods!   i am going to try to get one in this tank as soon as possible i think

not so great news that all have perished...there will be a next time.  i'm assuming it's TONS of trial and error raising fry 

They all eat at night. So, you won't see it so much as noticing the declining quantities of pods. 

They did take down the shrimp in the morning. 

gone_PHiSHin

any updates?

I'm still looking for a pair of ORA GBGs.

might just go ahead and take the hit to the wallet and order 2 from this place in Florida.  they are the only place that seems to have them currently in stock.  $20 each, which isn't bad, but $45 shipping...

$85 for two 1" fish <_<  but i want them!

• Like 1
RayWhisperer

Why not ask a good lfs in your area? They can all order from ORA. The gobies are a guaranteed sale with you, and any other "bread and butter" type SW that ORA breeds will probably sell just as easily as the wild stuff they buy. ORA isn't cheap, so mom and pop joints don't usually want to spend the extra on them. However, if they know they'll sell some of the fish, they'll probably risk it for a good customer.

TLDR version.try to support your mom and pop lfs.

2 hours ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

any updates?

I'm still looking for a pair of ORA GBGs.

might just go ahead and take the hit to the wallet and order 2 from this place in Florida.  they are the only place that seems to have them currently in stock.  $20 each, which isn't bad, but $45 shipping...

$85 for two 1" fish <_<  but i want them!

Nope. But, pretty sure I will have another round of pups.

• Like 1
gone_PHiSHin
11 minutes ago, RayWhisperer said:

Why not ask a good lfs in your area? They can all order from ORA. The gobies are a guaranteed sale with you, and any other "bread and butter" type SW that ORA breeds will probably sell just as easily as the wild stuff they buy. ORA isn't cheap, so mom and pop joints don't usually want to spend the extra on them. However, if they know they'll sell some of the fish, they'll probably risk it for a good customer.

TLDR version.try to support your mom and pop lfs.

i contacted ORA and they listed a couple trusted LFS that they sell to.  problem is, the one that i like the most is 45 minutes away and only open friday and saturday (it's a custom installation and aquarium maintenance business, that opens sales to the public F-S only).  

i really dont have any good LFS that i trust in my town unfortunately but i'm going to contact the one this week to see what they can offer.

good luck OP!