SaltCritters.com

Emerald crab reef safe NO

Psilopsych

So I bought an emerald crab after a lot or reading. Some said yes they are reef safe some said no. Lesson learned if there are no's don't get one. Mine almost headed to the toilet tonight. Caught it eating my hammer coral Whole tentacles at a time. Not a reef safe critter. He is off to the lfs Monday. Good by pest. 

KIMG0199.JPG

21 minutes ago, Psilopsych said:

So I bought an emerald crab after a lot or reading. Some said yes they are reef safe some said no. Lesson learned if there are no's don't get one. Mine almost headed to the toilet tonight. Caught it eating my hammer coral Whole tentacles at a time. Not a reef safe critter. He is off to the lfs Monday. Good by pest. 

KIMG0199.JPG

Never trust a crab. ;)

• Like 3
16 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Never trust a crab. ;)

Or a shrimp! I have skunk cleaner that is so aggressive in stealing food from corals that it ripped tentacles off my hammer.

• Like 2

I don't believe in reef safe anymore. Lol.

I really am starting to think - it all depends on what personality the animal has. 

Pink streaked wrasse. Supposed to be peaceful, never read a story against one.

Mine killed a skunk cleaner, a ywg, a tailspot, attacked hermits, and was harrasing a clown. I don't have it anymore.

Peppermint shrimp- destroyed 2 acans, and a favia in a day.

Hermits- so many have issues with them and mine are model citizens.

Cleaner- fun but annoying thieves!

• Like 2

I've had an emerald crab in my tank for a year and I've never seen him eat, nibble, or even touch any of my corals. 

How long did you have this crab for? Did you spot feed it at all?

I feed mine regularly, about every 2-3 days. He's really, reeeally aggressive towards the tongs. He tries to grab for them even if they're a foot away, and when they're in grabbing distance he attacks and holds on to the tongs for dear life. He's crazy. But never towards the corals, shrimp and other livestock, only the tongs!

• Like 2