Innovative Marine Aquariums

A New Start...

Reefisgood61

1 hour ago, moosubi said:

Get that power strip off the ground ;)

Put it in the stand or on the wall. When you do maintenance, water is bound to spill on it on the floor.

Better safe than sorry :)

Reefisgood61

Thanks.  That is my plan.  I saw a guy who mounted and organized all power on a board.  Mounted on the wall. That is my weekend plan. 

Reefisgood61

So question.  I got the tank set up.  Ran it for 24 hours and then started using Red Sea reef mature.  I am following the directions but two things.  My ammonia is tracking.  But nitrate/nitrite not so much.  It is only day 5 I think I should just stick with it.  The second concer and I know it is early.  Instructions say I should start seeing algae.  But none yet.  Am I being too impatient??

You're starting with dry rock so it can be somewhat slower. ;)  I'm not sure how long it can take nitrites to show up but I know it's a few days, and then a few days yet for nitrates (usually).  Just stick with it.  I'm not really familiar with the Reef Mature program but I know a few on here have used it.  And it takes time for algae to appear, especially with dry rock.  I think it's usually later on in the cycle before that appears, probably when nitrates start showing up since algae tends to consume those.  Patience, Padawan!  Good things are coming. :)

• Like 1

Algae doesn't  have anything to do with cycling. 

Algae is due to nutrients and not everyone gets the huge algae blooms if they have low nutrients in the tank.

I didn't have diatoms until a month after cycle.

Reefisgood61

I am up now for 9 days! Woo hoo.  Never thought I would be such a worrier.  But I gave been watching it cycle and stressing.  Starting now to see cyano and algae on the dry rock.  Those of you familiar with Red Sea reef mature, at day 9 -10 it recommends to begin to add cuc. I have been reading like crazy to decide what to get.  Reached out to John at reef cleaners too.  Waiting his response/advice.  My ammonia has dropped to 0, nitrites at 0.2 , nitrates at 15ppm.  It suggested a 5% water change last eve.  

So question.  I know mixed reviews.  I plan to have coral, 5-6 fish.  So for cuc seems all recommend trochus, nassarius and nerite. Correct?  How many and how fast?  And I would like a could small hermits.  Used to love mine.  Mixed reviews.  Would eventually like one didh to be a sand sifter.  And a shrimp or 2. Trying to think ahead.  Immediate question is clean up crew but perhaps with sifter in the mix later and a few hermits now or later?   And open to ideas and advice.  

It's good to get a few different types of snails.  Nassarius bury in the sand and stir it up.  I've used cerith and astrea snails myself, have always found trochus hard to find.  The 5.5 just has a bunch of dwarf ceriths.

Reefisgood61

Thanks.  Got 2 trochus today and 5 ceriths, 1 small conch.  I floated them 15 to 20 closed and then based on what I read in forum added them direct.  Now I am a nervous daddy!  They have been in 10-15 and no movement.  ? 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Reefisgood61

My tank's been up for about 3 weeks.   I used the Red Sea Reef Mature product to cycle, according to that I was to add cuc a week ago which I did.  I had brown algae on my sand but nothing I see on my new Reef Cleaner Rock.  As part of the Reef Mature product you are adding coraline grow so I may just be imagining but the rock looks pinker.  Still fresh new dry rock.  No green algae and since I added the ceriths, the conch, a couple of hermits (scarlet) and 8 nassarius snails the sand looks clean, glass too gets scrubbed.  It only has a thin layer of algae on it.  
I have no ammonia, nitrite, nitrate is positive but low.  The LFS recommended I add a few blue chromis which I did a few days ago.  They are doing well.  I also added a piece of live rock to the tank.  

I have been reading about when to add coral/fish.  So many mixed reviews.  The LFS suggested adding the chromis and leaving it for a few months.  They did say I could add some coral to start.  I am interested in any comments on when to add coral, (or fish) and what to start with.  Eventually I am interested in having 5-6 fish, (my dream list are the chromis, pajama cardinal or bengal, coral beauty, neon goby, clown goby, royal gramma, 2 clowns, dart or fire fish or six line wrasse.  So I have to whittle them down, my tank is 40 gallon.  No rush on fish just thought it helpful to see what I am thinking

For corals, would love a frogspawn, hammer, star polyps, xenia, gorgonian, mushrooms...  I am interested in where to start, polyps, mushrooms, the frogspawn.  And as you plan the tank what should you add first and place high or low so that the tank comes together right.  I appreciate any comment.  I read them all and follow threads each night trying to learn more.  

As a side note, finally got my bubble magnus dialed in and seeing it working now.  Parameters seem very stable.  Just  hope to see the rock and algae as one would expect.  I am sure that time will take care of that as it matures.... 

On 7/24/2017 at 6:30 PM, Reefisgood61 said:

My tank's been up for about 3 weeks.   I used the Red Sea Reef Mature product to cycle, according to that I was to add cuc a week ago which I did.  I had brown algae on my sand but nothing I see on my new Reef Cleaner Rock.  As part of the Reef Mature product you are adding coraline grow so I may just be imagining but the rock looks pinker.  Still fresh new dry rock.  No green algae and since I added the ceriths, the conch, a couple of hermits (scarlet) and 8 nassarius snails the sand looks clean, glass too gets scrubbed.  It only has a thin layer of algae on it.  
I have no ammonia, nitrite, nitrate is positive but low.  The LFS recommended I add a few blue chromis which I did a few days ago.  They are doing well.  I also added a piece of live rock to the tank.  

I have been reading about when to add coral/fish.  So many mixed reviews.  The LFS suggested adding the chromis and leaving it for a few months.  They did say I could add some coral to start.  I am interested in any comments on when to add coral, (or fish) and what to start with.  Eventually I am interested in having 5-6 fish, (my dream list are the chromis, pajama cardinal or bengal, coral beauty, neon goby, clown goby, royal gramma, 2 clowns, dart or fire fish or six line wrasse.  So I have to whittle them down, my tank is 40 gallon.  No rush on fish just thought it helpful to see what I am thinking

For corals, would love a frogspawn, hammer, star polyps, xenia, gorgonian, mushrooms...  I am interested in where to start, polyps, mushrooms, the frogspawn.  And as you plan the tank what should you add first and place high or low so that the tank comes together right.  I appreciate any comment.  I read them all and follow threads each night trying to learn more.  

As a side note, finally got my bubble magnus dialed in and seeing it working now.  Parameters seem very stable.  Just  hope to see the rock and algae as one would expect.  I am sure that time will take care of that as it matures.... 

Be careful on aggression with the chromis, not sure how big a tank they need to live happily in a group.  If the tank can handle fish it should be fine to add a couple easy corals.  Someone with more fish experience than me can hopefully chime in on fish choices, but you could look around at similar size tanks and see what people have that works together.

11 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Be careful on aggression with the chromis, not sure how big a tank they need to live happily in a group.  If the tank can handle fish it should be fine to add a couple easy corals.  Someone with more fish experience than me can hopefully chime in on fish choices, but you could look around at similar size tanks and see what people have that works together.

On 7/24/2017 at 5:30 PM, Reefisgood61 said:

When i first started, i read that you add the least aggressive fish first. All the fish you mentioned are fine, royal grammas can be bullies and coral beauties can sometimes nibble on corals. It's a matter of bioload and how often you want to do water changes. More is more.

On 7/24/2017 at 6:30 PM, Reefisgood61 said:

As part of the Reef Mature product you are adding coraline grow so I may just be imagining but the rock looks pinker.

Coralline Grow only assists in getting corraline to grow. Since you're using dry rock you'll need to introduce coralline algae into your tank. I scraped some off of one of my trochus snail's shell and introduced it into the water column to kick start it.

Reefisgood61

Interestingly after a week one Chromis is missing.  Presumed dead.  I feed them a little once a day.  They both seemed fine.  I can't find him but presume he died in the tank because I had a small algae increase too same eve I noticed him gone.  They both seemed healthy.  And water parameters are good.  I have been very careful and thought my guys will be fine.  The reality of I am new at this and the unknown set it. I was bummed. Nothing really in the tank to kill him.  Only the other Chromis and hermits. Didn't see any bullying. He was very active.  Liked a hideout in the rocks.  

Should I worry about the slight algae bloom on the glass, sand and rock?  Water change necessary, or increase the cuc a bit?  I have the conch eating great.  And 3-5 sand snails nassarius.  Yet now seems the yellow /green algae is ahead of them and I need more. It has been good for me.  Was I feeding too much or did the fish dying cause the algae to increase?  I only fed them once a day.  A pinch or two of small pellets. But they flow quickly to my overflow.  

57 minutes ago, Reefisgood61 said:

Interestingly after a week one Chromis is missing.  Presumed dead.  I feed them a little once a day.  They both seemed fine.  I can't find him but presume he died in the tank because I had a small algae increase too same eve I noticed him gone.  They both seemed healthy.  And water parameters are good.  I have been very careful and thought my guys will be fine.  The reality of I am new at this and the unknown set it. I was bummed. Nothing really in the tank to kill him.  Only the other Chromis and hermits. Didn't see any bullying. He was very active.  Liked a hideout in the rocks.  

Should I worry about the slight algae bloom on the glass, sand and rock?  Water change necessary, or increase the cuc a bit?  I have the conch eating great.  And 3-5 sand snails nassarius.  Yet now seems the yellow /green algae is ahead of them and I need more. It has been good for me.  Was I feeding too much or did the fish dying cause the algae to increase?  I only fed them once a day.  A pinch or two of small pellets. But they flow quickly to my overflow.  

It could have died from unknown causes due to being a new fish in the tank, or it could have been killed by the other chromis.  Sorry about your fish. :( I'd think it would take a few days for that to cause an algae bloom, more likely the culprit is the uneaten food that ended up in the overflow.  You can turn pumps off for a few minutes while you feed to keep the food in the main tank, then turn them back on.  It wouldn't hurt to do a water change.  You may need more algae eating snails (trochus, cerith, astrea, turbo if your tank's large enough).  Nassarius aren't algae eaters as far as I know.  Algae blooms are common in new tanks though.  :)

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Reefisgood61 said:

Things are going well.  Thanks for your help and advice.  My tank is coming along. 3-4 months old.  Love it!❤️

IMG_5138.JPG

Looking very nice!:)