Innovative Marine Aquariums

A New Start...

Reefisgood61

Reefisgood61

After a number of years without a reef I have decided to start with a nano.  For years I had a beautiful 60 gallon reef tank when technology was so new.  I went thru a divorce, sold the house(the guy said I will buy the house if the tank is included) and have waited to start again.

Am planning at some point to build a large reef.  But until I get some things complete on the house my wife is hoping I will wait.  So we both decided a reef nano 40 gallon upstairs will be a start.  

I am evaluating purchasing a plug and play like Red Sea max 170, the coral life 34, a few others or building from scratch.  

While it is pricey initially I do like the Red Sea.  Interested in any thoughts.  It can be ordered with a nice dump, and the included skimmer, led's and features seem hard to beat.  I plan to start slow, interested in corals and inverts, a few fun small fish.  

Will really appreciate any advice prior to my initial investment and build/start up.  Happy to find the forum and make some new friends who love reef!!  

49 minutes ago, Reefisgood61 said:

Thanks!  My first response.   I a reasearching and reading up like crazy but thinking I will order it tonight.  

Just a warning, as soon as you settle on a system and order it, you end up finding peeps who had to mod this and that. 

Not saying don't get it, just saying don't be surprised when that happens and don't let it discourage you. :happy:

I haven't commented cause I never do All in One tanks so I don't have enough personal experience to give an informed decision. 

• Like 1
Reefisgood61

Thanks!! I have be doing tons of research.  Looks like a good tank but easy to mod too!  I have been considering it for months.  Just joined this forum though today, happy to be part of it. I ordered the system earlier today.  Will begin updating and asking more questions as I get it and start set up!  Appreciate your input now and going forward.  

• Like 1

I have heard good things about the Red Sea tanks and they are very sharp looking. There were a lot of advances for me to catch up on with only a few years off the forums so I am sure things are different than when you kept  saltwater before!  Welcome to Nano-Reef!

The Red Sea Max 170 is plumbed for a sump down the road if you wanted to go that route, so it's a great choice if you decide to do that later.  I considered that tank, but stayed small :)

My dream tank is a Red Sea, but not the 170. 

image.jpeg.838b127135202c1be993fea11fee071d.jpeg

hah, the dream tank is the Red Sea reefer 650 peninsula!  

That being said I have a Fluval EVO 13.5.  Nice tank, everything needed an upgrade though . Go as big as you can. You won't be dissapointed. 

50 minutes ago, TheBig053 said:

hah, the dream tank is the Red Sea reefer 650 peninsula!

That will be in my living room next March :)

• Like 1

Welcome back to the hobby:D

I've heard nothing but good things regarding the red sea tanks. Would love one myself!

There is also the innovative marines which are really nice all in ones.

Reefisgood61

So I did order the Red Sea Max E 170, comes with the sump and stand.  As I get closer to deliver and set up I will post pictures and information.  Will meanwhile be learning from you experts.  And yes, since I had my reef the technology is amazing.  My big plan and dream is to build a 200+ reef downstairs, yet am very excited about this nano tank and learning from you all.  Thanks!! 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
Reefisgood61

So my system is on order and while it has only been a week it is taking forever!   I have been obsessive though in reading and learning while I wait!  I ordered an Eheim Compact + 3000, a jaeger 100w heater.   Ordered an ro/di 90gph that was recommended by many on the forum. I plan to use Caribsea alive reef substrate and am thinking of going with "rock in a box" which bugs me.  I have used live rock in the past yet in reading there is some nice synthetic rock, no risk.  And I have checked out the Red Sea starter that introduces a good mix of bacteria to start the tank.  All this from memory.  I will list equipment when it all gets together and will share the start up.  Can't decide best thermometer, digital, glass, lab grade...so many opinions.  I did order a Red Sea refractometer.  So. Interested in any advice based on my selections so far.  Need to decide on sand.  And as the cycling starts plan to add an MP10.  Hope the tank arrives before the next holiday.  I am bouncing off the walls.  Red Sea is supposed to call or their shipper!

Get a salt that isn't a large grain like the hawaiian black which the grain are large.

Oolite is like sugar it blows everywhere.

My personal fav has been caribsea's fiji pink. I like the grain size of it.

I have used liverock in all my tanks. My 10g was set up 80% dry rock and 20% liverock.

I like liverock. The diversity, the colour, faster cycle.

Reefisgood61

Appreciate your advice. It has been many years since I set up a tank.  Things have changed.  I have been reading thread after thread about rock.  I am finding that if I go with dry rock the best choice might be reef cleaners.  I had seriously been thinking about just using that.  If I mix do you pick your live rock at the LFS?  And how concerned with bad critters?  LFS is pushing a synthetic rock.   I appreciate any advice and perspective.  

9 minutes ago, Reefisgood61 said:

Appreciate your advice. It has been many years since I set up a tank.  Things have changed.  I have been reading thread after thread about rock.  I am finding that if I go with dry rock the best choice might be reef cleaners.  I had seriously been thinking about just using that.  If I mix do you pick your live rock at the LFS?  And how concerned with bad critters?  LFS is pushing a synthetic rock.   I appreciate any advice and perspective.  

I am a newbie, so keep that in mind. I am also starting a new system, Red Sea Reefer 170.  I have the tank and been ordering equipment.  I am pretty impressed by tank and stand and sure you will be also.  I am at same stage as you researching and spending money :).  I have decided to go with reef saver dry rock.  Cheaper, less worries about critters that are not planned for, I plan to skip the curing process b/c no organics on it with it  (I hope I don't regret that choice).  Hope that is helpful

You can get hitchikers from corals just like liverock.

I myself have only had 1 hitchiker that I didn't want which was a pistol shrimp. It did no harm. My personal experience after 4 tanks. 

The stories ppl read need to also be considered with the percentages of ppl around the world with aquariums vs how many have gotten bad hitchikers.

The worst is a bobbit worm or mantis and that is a rarity.

Most common is a crab or aiptasia which can also come in on corals.

I have had more hitchikers found on corals than my rocks.

If you do dry reef rock reef cleaners is the favoured rock. You will also need ammonia and bacteria to dose it.

Reefisgood61

Thanks!  Love all of your advice and perspectives.  Funny I thought after months of reading books and forum posts to buff up (my last reef was10 years ago and I have been dreaming about re-entry) and was sure I had it all figured out.  Then cam my indecision on rock.  After reading posts I visited 3 LFS that I like.  The closest one hadreally nice looking premium Fiji live.  I think I may go with it.  I agree rare to get bad hitch hikers. At least in my past.  Hated a bubble algae problem I had. 

Tank still has not arrived. Hoping the delivery company will call tomorrow.  I am planning to go slow though.  All my start up stuff is here except the ro/di.  It is en route!  I appreciate your advice, look forward to sharing my start up!

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Reefisgood61 said:

Thanks!  Love all of your advice and perspectives.  Funny I thought after months of reading books and forum posts to buff up (my last reef was10 years ago and I have been dreaming about re-entry) and was sure I had it all figured out.  Then cam my indecision on rock.  After reading posts I visited 3 LFS that I like.  The closest one hadreally nice looking premium Fiji live.  I think I may go with it.  I agree rare to get bad hitch hikers. At least in my past.  Hated a bubble algae problem I had. 

Tank still has not arrived. Hoping the delivery company will call tomorrow.  I am planning to go slow though.  All my start up stuff is here except the ro/di.  It is en route!  I appreciate your advice, look forward to sharing my start up!

We look forward to seeing it! :D

• 2 weeks later...
Reefisgood61

Heaven on the 4th!  I got all my stuff last week and set up my tank.  I love the reef cleaners dry rock, great choice for me.  I requested grapefruit sized rocks they hand picked and sent me interesting shapes.  This is my final model aquascape after hours of researching and playing around.  

IMG_4387.JPG

IMG_4384.JPG

• Like 1
Reefisgood61

The build was pretty straight forward.  Vivid has some great videos that hep. Red Sea doesn't give great instructions but it all went together nicely.  My system: Red Sea Reefer 170, Hydra LED, bubble Magnus curve 5 skimmer, eheim compact +3000, jaeger 100w heater, and using Red Sea Arag-Alive reef substrate.  My mix is Red Sea Pro salt.  I have a maxspect fx230 Gyre and controller on order. And replacing the ATO with the Tunze 3152 osmolator ATO.  I hope I made good choices with all your help, input and threads.  It is wet and cycling.  My Bubble Mag is still running a bit wild but I think settling down. It overflowed the firs 24 hours.  I did run it a couple hours in a vinegar bath as recommended by many.  Hoping I can dial it in in the next couple days.  So here it is!  Happy 4th!!

Oh well.  Says I cant upload the pick. 6mb limit?  That was like a singular moment!  I want to upload the tank! ?❤️

• Like 1