lonewonderer

Can't find my Chromis

lonewonderer

Hello, I noticed today that one of my chromis is missing. I checked all the caves and even took the rocks out and I could not find him. I looked at the floor, back of the cabinet and the back of the JBJ nano. its not there. I'm afraid that it dies and was consumed by my cleaners. My question is do you think 6 hermit crabs, 1 damsel, 2 clowns, 1 fire shrimp and 3 turbo snails can devour a small fish within 24 hrs?

HarryPotter

Yep

• Like 1

lonewonderer

really? OMG! that's so sad. He was swimming lively and no sign of stress what so ever. No i have to look for the remains. It could end up spiking my tank.

Simulated Fish

Chromis are the serial killers of the sea. They will slowly murder each other one by one. At night. In the dark, out of sight.

You will never see them being aggressive, and the bodies will always be missing.

Chromis are evil little fish lol :lol:

Also don't bother looking for the body, it's gone. A good clean up crew will consume any dead fish within a hour or two, especially it you have a heathy bristle worm population.

They only time I have found a dead fish is on the carpet or in a brand new tank without a CuC.

Sorry about the fish, we have all lost a group of chromis at some point. They are the perfect schooling fish for nano tanks, but alas they are tiny devil fish.

Edited by Hippieheadshot
Additional info
  • Like 5

lonewonderer

I'm just afraid my parameters will spike especially ammonia.

Simulated Fish
10 minutes ago, lonewonderer said:

I'm just afraid my parameters will spike especially ammonia.

I can 100% promise that if your tank is not a fresh tank, you will see little to no spike, even then you would see it on the rise now as the fish started to decompose about 2-3 hours after death - assuming it wasn't already eaten.

Keep an eye on the levels, look for signs of stress(such as gasping) and if it does start to climb I would then move rocks and look for a body.

Think of it this way, do you remove the bits of food that fish don't eat after feeding or fish poo?

• Like 1

lonewonderer

gotcha. Will do that since today is WC day.

• Like 1

Simulated Fish
2 minutes ago, lonewonderer said:

gotcha. Will do that since today is WC day.

Hope I'm not coming off as harsh! The great thing about a reef tank is it is pretty self sustainable. When things go wrong often you can cause more harm by OVER correcting, it adds stress to the already stressed livestock. Slow and steady in this hobby. :)

• Like 2

Clown79

Most of the time the cuc get to it before you can. They can clean up a fish in a very short time.