ReefCleaners.org

t8raff's BC29

t8raff

It has been a couple of years since I have been on this forum. Use to have a 20L turned into AIO. Had to take it down because of a move. A couple of days ago my friend gifted me one of his 29 gallon bio cubes for helping him move some items to his new house. We went to get some items from a lfs so he can finish setting up his tank and it resparked my urge for another reef tank. 

First thing I had to do was gut the hood. None of the electronics worked. Used the trusty dremel to cut an opening so I can insert my par38 bulbs in the hood. 

Today my my girlfriend and I went to my lfs to get some sand, water, and rock. Found a good spot in our bedroom and got it set up. Still need to get more rock, aquascape, need a heater, and need to get new filters and set up the rodi unit. 

Plans are simple, couple of clowns, zoas, shrooms, acans, maybe a frogspawn or torch. 

And so it begins......

IMG_0444.JPG

IMG_0452.JPG

• Like 5
9 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

Welcome back. Was the rock cured or did you go with dry?

I went with "premium" cured. Has some plant matter, sponges, and other organisms on it. Figured it would have some die off to help kickstart the cycle. 

Everything is coming along. Got another hydor 425, and more rock. Did a little scaping tonight and I like how it's sitting now. Ordered the 30 gal package from reef cleaners so should have some sort of life in there soon. Also ordered a heater (tank has been running at 78 so not sure if I need but just in case), ato, and glass cleaner from brs. AND new filters so I can get my reefkeeper rodi back up and running. 

IMG_0470.JPG

• Like 2

There is life!! 

One of the rocks I picked out from the lfs had what I thought was a dead clam/empty clam shell on it. Turns out it's alive! It was opened up filtering the water until I turned my phone light on. Then closed up quick! Love finding little things like that. 

IMG_0471.JPG

• Like 6

Checked parameters and everything is looking good. Clean up crew is doing great. Going to take a water sample to the lfs to confirm my tests. If everything is good I might pick out the first fish for the tank. We shall see

and I wish I bought an ato for my last tank, so much easier! 

• Like 2

Lfs confirmed my tests. Everything is good! Picked up the first fish for the tank and they also had a orange hammer that I had to have. Will be going back when they get more clowns in to pick up a buddy for this one. Also thinking about one or two more fish later down the road. Maybe some kind of blenny or goby. Idk yet. 

IMG_0498.JPG

IMG_0500.PNG

• Like 2

Little update

hammer is looking awesome, clown is doing good. He doesn't really swim around exploring much. Just hangs out around the back wall. Also got a small frag of captain americas which are looking great as well. Have my HH macro algae growing on one rock. The rock with the two majanos I'm going to take out and scrub it down. It had some gha on it when I purchased and now the majanos so I'll just take care of that right now. 

IMG_0536.JPG

IMG_0537.JPG

IMG_0540.JPG

• Like 3
1 hour ago, GregEmmitte said:

Congrats!

Even less tank updates then?

Oh no! There will be updates! Just little $5-10 dollar drag tank specials haha

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

Well, lost one of the clowns yesterday. Managed to find its way into the rear chamber again but this time wasn't so lucky. Got trapped in my filter moss. Other than that no new tank updates.