Pod Your Reef

Gena's IM Nuvo Fusion 10

gena

I move a lot, sucks! Always taking down tanks it feels like.

I think it looks great even if it is neglected. Toss some macro in there maybe to help so you can slack on water changes.

• Like 2
19 hours ago, Segalplayer said:

Check out my page! Just took out the back baffle and added a pump (IM stock reactor pump but very loud so I will get a sicce micra for the false bottom to stirr up the only dead zone in the tank, going to be using a Tunze 9001 in the back. 

I willgo and read back but any reason for going Sandless? Contemplating it myself but slowly taking it out like a scoop or two a week till none.

I'll check it out!  Sandless because it's cleaner.  Since this is now a coral only tank  (no fish) I just don't want anything collecting in the sand.  I'm really liking the clean look now.

19 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

We'll take what we can get! :lol: 

Let us know how it goes :)

haha..yeah.  I'm ready but not ready to take the tank down.  What I did yesterday is the perfect first baby step :).  It turned out great!

18 hours ago, Tamberav said:

I move a lot, sucks! Always taking down tanks it feels like.

I think it looks great even if it is neglected. Toss some macro in there maybe to help so you can slack on water changes.

Thanks!  I'm going to see how it goes with no fish now.  I don't think I'll have an algae issue anymore fingerscrossed.

Yesterday's revamp took a few hours.  Cleaning out the whole tank was nice to do.  Super easy with such a tiny tank too :wub:.  I emptied everything out and carried the tank to the backyard and scrubbed and sprayed with the garden hose.  So easy!  The fish are now at my LFS.  He promised to give them good homes :).  It was sad last night when I went into the room where my tanks are and no fish.  But I don't regret it either.  

Things are looking really good this morning :wub: 

Screen Shot 2018-03-24 at 8.46.49 AM

Screen Shot 2018-03-24 at 8.47.10 AM

Screen Shot 2018-03-24 at 8.47.35 AM

Screen Shot 2018-03-24 at 8.47.23 AM

• Like 17
  • Wow 2
4 minutes ago, vlangel said:

Yes it looks very nice Gena.

3 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

It looks so tranquil! :happy: 

Thank you both!  It's something I've been wanting to do for a while.  But I kept putting it off.  I had nothing else planned for yesterday so it worked out well to finally tackle something that's been bothering me for awhile :).  

• Like 3
Segalplayer

Looks awesome! gotcha on the sand. I’m fishless too after my clown irritated my favorite brain and it’s on the decline unfortunately. I was tired of food being stolen from the corals too! 

• Like 1

Really pretty! I may have to pull all my sand out of the IM10 after seeing yours. I told my husband I was upgrading but I'm tempted to just leave it up and see how long before he says something about it. 

• Like 2
7 hours ago, gena said:

I'll check it out!  Sandless because it's cleaner.  Since this is now a coral only tank  (no fish) I just don't want anything collecting in the sand.  I'm really liking the clean look now.

haha..yeah.  I'm ready but not ready to take the tank down.  What I did yesterday is the perfect first baby step :).  It turned out great!

Thanks!  I'm going to see how it goes with no fish now.  I don't think I'll have an algae issue anymore fingerscrossed.

Yesterday's revamp took a few hours.  Cleaning out the whole tank was nice to do.  Super easy with such a tiny tank too :wub:.  I emptied everything out and carried the tank to the backyard and scrubbed and sprayed with the garden hose.  So easy!  The fish are now at my LFS.  He promised to give them good homes :).  It was sad last night when I went into the room where my tanks are and no fish.  But I don't regret it either.  

This calms my OCD...?lol very clean and peaceful looking!!

• Like 2
Segalplayer

Lol @Sancho republic of California! I’ve lived here forever and never heard that ????. 

Once I got rid of my fish, I added the walking dendro so something was different every time I came back to the tank because I missed the fishes movement all over tank?

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Sancho said:

Looks fantastic.....those palys :wub: when’s the move? Or did I miss your departure from the great republic of California 

Thanks!  Sometime this year fingerscrossed.  My son graduates in May and then we kick it into high gear.  It all depends on my husband's job and relocation, etc.  

14 hours ago, Segalplayer said:

Lol @Sancho republic of California! I’ve lived here forever and never heard that ????. 

Once I got rid of my fish, I added the walking dendro so something was different every time I came back to the tank because I missed the fishes movement all over tank?

Yesterday I was sitting in front of the tank and my husband laughed at me.  What are you looking at?  There's no fish???  Ummmmm.....I've been known to just stare at coral.  The no fish thing doesn't bother me at all.  I realized this with the pico jar.  I really just like coral.  Fish are neat but I've always had a guilty feeling about keeping fish in the aquarium.  Not so much tiny gobies...but the bigger fish.   Anyways, I'm just as happy with a fishless tank as long as I have the coral to look at :).  I like the fact that I won't have to feed the tank daily :happydance:

So the water is cloudy this morning :scarry:.  First time I've ever experienced that.  I know it's a bacterial bloom.  I'm making water now just in case I need to do an emergency water change.  It looks like the tanks you see at the reef shows after a couple of days...just a little cloudy.  I did remove one big rock and all the sand so not surprising that this would happen.   Everything is open and looks pretty as can be so I'm not too worried yet LOL.

Oh and thank you everyone for the kind comments :).  I really appreciate it!!!!!

• Like 5
4 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

Life simplification sure can be nice, especially when you're preparing for the big move! Less mouths to feed :lol: 

Exactly!  I still get my pretty tank but with much less work :happydance:.

The cloudiness cleared up on it's own.  Not sure what was going on there.  I thought a bacterial bloom would last longer than that but maybe  not.  Maybe a snail was spawning?  I only  have two that I know of.  Maybe algae die off?  I don't know but I'm happy I didn't have to do a water change on it LOL.

• Like 3

The bare bottom / no-fish look is great! I hope this leads to low maintenance.

I did find with the bare bottom in my 30g that it can get some truly nasty algae and other crud, though. I scraped the bottom a couple times, but after I eventually got the nutrients right the algae went away and now I just have coralline.

• Like 1
On 3/23/2018 at 3:49 PM, gena said:

No skimmer just a media basket with chemipure and filter floss.  Though it could really use it.  I'm fixing to revamp the tank today.   Got everything ready to go, buckets...towels....mindset...lol.   I stopped to make/eat some lunch first because I'm thinking this will take me a bit of time.  

I'm taking everything out and cleaning the whole thing out.  It's FILTHY!  Big fish in a small space is no bueno.  I haven't been able to get the main pump out at all.  The space is too small and tight and although I can get my hand in there, I can't budge the tubing/piping where it attaches to the tank :wacko:.  The chambers need a major cleaning.

I'm also removing all fish and taking them to my LFS.  I'm going to hydrogen peroxide the rocks.  Remove all sand.  Going bottomless.   I'd like to be able to go a LONG time between water changes.  We'll see how that goes.  I will have to dose still.  Who knows...next week I may decide to dismantle the whole thing :o.  For now...baby steps :).  

wow, that's an ambitious plan. Fingers crossed for you. I'm catching up on your thread, I'm sure there is an update.

• Like 1
On 3/25/2018 at 7:38 PM, teenyreef said:

The bare bottom / no-fish look is great! I hope this leads to low maintenance.

I did find with the bare bottom in my 30g that it can get some truly nasty algae and other crud, though. I scraped the bottom a couple times, but after I eventually got the nutrients right the algae went away and now I just have coralline.

So far so good!!!!!  I'm really liking the bare bottom no fish thing :wub:.

On 3/26/2018 at 12:03 PM, metrokat said:

wow, that's an ambitious plan. Fingers crossed for you. I'm catching up on your thread, I'm sure there is an update.

Thank you!!!  Everything went well!!!!!  This is the perfect tank for my current state of reefing mind LOL.  Super low maintenance.  I can forget about it for days and it's ok :).

On 3/26/2018 at 12:17 PM, oceanboy said:

Your tank is so pretty! Everything’s growing so beautifully, I love it!:happy:

Thank you so much :).

Smooth sailing here :happydance:.   I had 2 more not consecutive days of cloudiness and I'm 99.9% positive it's a snail spawning.  Or something spawning.  It clears up on it's own.  Weird LOL.

• Like 1
On 3/24/2018 at 12:01 PM, gena said:

:wub:  Still beautiful without fish!

• Like 1
On 3/31/2018 at 10:55 PM, Lula_Mae said:

:wub:  Still beautiful without fish!

Thank you :).  I need to do a little rearranging to fit some pico jar corals into this tank.  I probably won't mess with the main rock structure...I think it's perfect as is.  But I need to fit in some ricordeas and at least one blasto colony!  I really like the minimalist look I've got going on now so hopefully adding those few things won't mess that up too much  :).

• Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi, everyone!  Happy Friday to you all :happydance:.

Long time no updates 😊

I disassembled my pico jar and moved everything that was in there to this tank (minus the rock).  It's all sort of willy nilly in here.  I was able to save my giant stomatella snail from the jar.  That took a little coaxing since you can't just pry them off of rock.  I had him slither onto my gloved hand and then plopped him in the 10g.  Easy peasy LOL.

I'll get an updated photo soon.  I haven't done a water change on this tank in geez...I'm not even sure how long it's been now.  Have to look that up.  Ok..well it's only been a month.  Feels like so much longer lol.  It's doing great!!!!  I do dose alk/ca to keep up with all the LPS growth.  Everything is looking wonderful.  I wonder how long I can go without a water change????? 

Here's a little video from about 2 weeks ago.  

• Like 6

Well, even 'sort of willy nilly' looks great!

I gotta say I still miss seeing your fish.  But I know you're happy fishless, so that's all that matters.

• Like 2
Christopher Marks

Hi @gena👋

Love the video tour, the tank is so CLEAN now, holy moly! Living fish free and care free 😆

I'm glad you've kept it going, it's so serene now. Do you miss the jar yet?

• Like 1
Stoops718

Beautiful tank. I just started to cycle my Nuvo 10. How much water are you changing out monthly and do you dose with anything?

• Like 1