Top Shelf Aquatics

Gena's IM Nuvo Fusion 10

gena

Wow! That's a huge improvement in a very short time. 

It really reinforces the lesson that you shouldn't try to change your whole tank just because one coral isn't doing well. We all get tempted to try for better or worse nutrients, different flow, more or less water changes, new salt, new lights, adding sand, removing sand, etc., etc., when sometimes all we need to do is move that coral to a different spot in the tank :happy:

• Like 5
18 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

Wow! That's a huge improvement in a very short time. 

It really reinforces the lesson that you shouldn't try to change your whole tank just because one coral isn't doing well. We all get tempted to try for better or worse nutrients, different flow, more or less water changes, new salt, new lights, adding sand, removing sand, etc., etc., when sometimes all we need to do is move that coral to a different spot in the tank :happy:

Yep...exactly.  That's why I never turned up the lighting.  Because even though the leather needed more light, I knew I would fry everything else LOL.  So it finally dawned on me, stop being lazy and just move it to a new position.  Yes, it's work.  Yes, it takes time.  Yes, your fingers will get glue and epoxy on them LOL.  It's worth it when it turns out right though :D.

• Like 3

I was a bad fish mom today.  I spent too much time online, then went closet cleaning....clearing out space in my son's closet.  Ran out to the Goodwill with donations, and then to the grocery store.  Came home and realized I forgot to feed my fish today :o.  I feel so guilty.  The lights are about out and they are in sleeping mode so I will just wait until tomorrow.   Sorry fish :(.

Gonna do some chicken on the grill, clean up the kitchen, waste more time online, and then watch GOT :happydance:  Can't wait!!!! :D.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
6 minutes ago, gena said:

I was a bad fish mom today.  I spent too much time online, then went closet cleaning....clearing out space in my son's closet.  Ran out to the Goodwill with donations, and then to the grocery store.  Came home and realized I forgot to feed my fish today :o.  I feel so guilty.  The lights are about out and they are in sleeping mode so I will just wait until tomorrow.   Sorry fish :(.

Gonna do some chicken on the grill, clean up the kitchen, waste more time online, and then watch GOT :happydance:  Can't wait!!!! :D.

Sounds like a great Sunday :D 

• Like 1

I'm sure your fish will be ok for one day. You're way better than me. I can't even count how many times I've forgotten to feed my fish over the years! Sounds like a nice productive Sunday to me! I'm excited for GoT! I'm just trying to clean up the residual tank build mess before people come over. A group of us watching at my place every week with dessert and wine. Lily also gets so into it that she gets right up in front of the TV and we all have to tell her to stop blocking our view. :lol:

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, Lawnman said:

Sounds like a great Sunday :D 

Yeah, it was pretty great :).  Chicken is on the grill, kitchen is cleaned up, laundry in the washing machine, just have to eat and watch TV and fold clothes....not too shabby LOL.

43 minutes ago, Felicia said:

I'm sure your fish will be ok for one day. You're way better than me. I can't even count how many times I've forgotten to feed my fish over the years! Sounds like a nice productive Sunday to me! I'm excited for GoT! I'm just trying to clean up the residual tank build mess before people come over. A group of us watching at my place every week with dessert and wine. Lily also gets so into it that she gets right up in front of the TV and we all have to tell her to stop blocking our view. :lol:

I just feel really guilty cuz I'd be really sad if someone forgot to feed me one day LOL.  I remember your photos before of Lily blocking the view hahaha....she did that with Downton Abbey too :D.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Felicia said:

So which GoT character will Lily be for Halloween this year? :lol:

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

I vote dragon :wub:.  Last night's show was epic.  OMG omgomgomg   

So, first on my list today is FEED THE FISH :D.

Then I'll get ready for this solar eclipse I've been hearing a little bit about :lol:.

I remember the one in '79.  I was in school and it was getting really dark out.  I don't remember them letting us out to watch.  I think they knew better even back then.  I just remember looking out the big windows in my classroom (from my desk) and thinking this is really weird.  You guys in the total eclipse area are so lucky!  That is gonna be amazing for you!  Enjoy it!!!!

• Like 2

Here's my eclipse contribution.  It got more than that.  This was when it had just started.  We could actually feel it got cooler.  Neato stuff.  I love things like this.  Hoping to experience a total eclipse one day

• Like 3
17 hours ago, gena said:

Yeah, it was pretty great :).  Chicken is on the grill, kitchen is cleaned up, laundry in the washing machine, just have to eat and watch TV and fold clothes....not too shabby LOL.

I just feel really guilty cuz I'd be really sad if someone forgot to feed me one day LOL.  I remember your photos before of Lily blocking the view hahaha....she did that with Downton Abbey too :D.

Yeah, Lily likes to block everyone's view of the TV :lol:.  And yeah, good point, if I didn't get fed one day I'd be pretty upset!

6 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Not sure what she's going to be this year yet, although I've considered the idea of Olenna Tyrell. :D

1 hour ago, gena said:

Here's my eclipse contribution.  It got more than that.  This was when it had just started.  We could actually feel it got cooler.  Neato stuff.  I love things like this.  Hoping to experience a total eclipse one day

Very cool!  We watched it at work and ate donuts :D Here's my awful photo.

36719903625_cc1d863867_o.jpg

• Like 4
8 hours ago, gena said:

I vote dragon :wub:.  Last night's show was epic.  OMG omgomgomg   

So, first on my list today is FEED THE FISH :D.

Then I'll get ready for this solar eclipse I've been hearing a little bit about :lol:.

I remember the one in '79.  I was in school and it was getting really dark out.  I don't remember them letting us out to watch.  I think they knew better even back then.  I just remember looking out the big windows in my classroom (from my desk) and thinking this is really weird.  You guys in the total eclipse area are so lucky!  That is gonna be amazing for you!  Enjoy it!!!!

We're in the 90% or so zone, but found the mirror on a sheet of paper trick did not really work lol.  I may have damaged my retinas with quick glances at the sun as it was mostly covered lol.  YOLO? :unsure::lol:

4 hours ago, Felicia said:

Yeah, Lily likes to block everyone's view of the TV :lol:.  And yeah, good point, if I didn't get fed one day I'd be pretty upset!

Not sure what she's going to be this year yet, although I've considered the idea of Olenna Tyrell. :D

Olenna Tyrell seems like a perfect fit for the Meowager Countess! :lol:

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Felicia said:

She was my favorite character.  Lily would be a PERFECT Olenna Tyrell!!!!!

Donuts and the eclipse...could there be anything better???? :lol:

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Olenna Tyrell seems like a perfect fit for the Meowager Countess! :lol:

3 hours ago, gena said:

She was my favorite character.  Lily would be a PERFECT Olenna Tyrell!!!!!

Donuts and the eclipse...could there be anything better???? :lol:

Yeah, Lily really has that bad@$$ older, upperclass lady vibe going on.  She was a perfect Meowager Countess and I bet she'd be just as good as Olenna Tyrell.  Plus, its an excuse for me to make another crazy cat hat.  I'm wondering if my crafting skills are up to the challenge.

It was really fun that my work planned coffee and donuts on our upstairs patio and provided the glasses to watch the eclipse.  It was a fun midmorning break!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
3 minutes ago, Felicia said:

Yeah, Lily really has that bad@$$ older, upperclass lady vibe going on.  She was a perfect Meowager Countess and I bet she'd be just as good as Olenna Tyrell.  Plus, its an excuse for me to make another crazy cat hat.  I'm wondering if my crafting skills are up to the challenge.

It was really fun that my work planned coffee and donuts on our upstairs patio and provided the glasses to watch the eclipse.  It was a fun midmorning break!

I worked last night so I was off today, but my work apparently was doing a little party and craft for anyone who wanted to swing by this afternoon lol.

• Like 1

Now that photobucket is out for me, I'm trying to figure out something new for photo hosting.  IG is fine, but I want to get back to my old-school photos.  I'm trying out Flickr.  Let's see if this works?????

IM10 8/22/17

IM10 8/22/17

IM10 8/22/17

IM10 8/22/17

IM10 8/22/17

Yay!  That sseems to have worked!!!! :happydance:

• Like 5
  • Wow 1
11 minutes ago, gena said:

Now that photobucket is out for me, I'm trying to figure out something new for photo hosting.  IG is fine, but I want to get back to my old-school photos.  I'm trying out Flickr.  Let's see if this works?????

IM10 8/22/17

IM10 8/22/17

IM10 8/22/17

IM10 8/22/17

IM10 8/22/17

Yay!  That sseems to have worked!!!! :happydance:

I use Flickr!  Pics are amazing, I love the tank, especially those blastos! :wub: If they ever need a home I know someone who'd love to have some lol. :lol: Is the Grube's the thin gorg on the right?  Mine has yet to extend polyps... :unsure:  Tank looks wonderful!

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

I use Flickr!  Pics are amazing, I love the tank, especially those blastos! :wub: If they ever need a home I know someone who'd love to have some lol. :lol: Is the Grube's the thin gorg on the right?  Mine has yet to extend polyps... :unsure:  Tank looks wonderful!

I will remember that :).  Yes, that's the Grube's on the right.  The other is a Tracy Morgonian Gorgonian.  

And thank you :flower:.

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, gena said:

I will remember that :).  Yes, that's the Grube's on the right.  The other is a Tracy Morgonian Gorgonian.  

And thank you :flower:.

Oh!  I had a Morgonian Gorgonian for about three days before my epic crash back in the spring.  Mine was more tan under my lights then so I didn't recognize it.  Wish I hadn't lost it, it was so fluffy and pretty!

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Oh!  I had a Morgonian Gorgonian for about three days before my epic crash back in the spring.  Mine was more tan under my lights then so I didn't recognize it.  Wish I hadn't lost it, it was so fluffy and pretty!

Where did you pick yours up from?  I think I got mine from Unique corals...actually I did, I remember now.  That's the only place I've seen them.  Mine has a bunch of smaller branches coming out on it now.  It has really taken off in this tank!  Probably likes all the nutrients and strong lighting.  It's getting a lot of flow too.

2 minutes ago, gena said:

Where did you pick yours up from?  I think I got mine from Unique corals...actually I did, I remember now.  That's the only place I've seen them.  Mine has a bunch of smaller branches coming out on it now.  It has really taken off in this tank!  Probably likes all the nutrients and strong lighting.  It's getting a lot of flow too.

I got it from a local shop which stocked stuff from an NYC aquaculture company whose name I can't recall at the moment, they use black star-shaped plugs.  The guy said he wasn't supposed to tell where things came from but he thought the company was cool so he spilled the beans lol.

Edit, I actually didn't know what kind it was but went sleuthing on their website and the Morgonian Gorgonian was the only kind they culture that matched mine.

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

I got it from a local shop which stocked stuff from an NYC aquaculture company whose name I can't recall at the moment, they use black star-shaped plugs.  The guy said he wasn't supposed to tell where things came from but he thought the company was cool so he spilled the beans lol.

Edit, I actually didn't know what kind it was but went sleuthing on their website and the Morgonian Gorgonian was the only kind they culture that matched mine.

The only one I know of that uses black plugs is ORA.  But I'm pretty sure that's not who you are talking about.  I believe the origin is someone from NYC that knows Tracy Morgan and named it after him since he is also a reefer.  Anyways, that sounds familiar.  It's a must have addition to the gorgonian collection, for sure :).

5 minutes ago, gena said:

The only one I know of that uses black plugs is ORA.  But I'm pretty sure that's not who you are talking about.  I believe the origin is someone from NYC that knows Tracy Morgan and named it after him since he is also a reefer.  Anyways, that sounds familiar.  It's a must have addition to the gorgonian collection, for sure :).

I went back and looked on my old thread and thankfully I'd put the name on there--it's ReefGen.  They only do wholesale though.  It really is gorgeous!  Though I am loving the Biota Hicksomella species I got from LA, it's been fluffing up for days now and looking so pretty!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Lula_Mae said:

I went back and looked on my old thread and thankfully I'd put the name on there--it's ReefGen.  They only do wholesale though.  It really is gorgeous!  Though I am loving the Biota Hicksomella species I got from LA, it's been fluffing up for days now and looking so pretty!

I'll have to look at yours again.  I saw one in @Pjanssen contest tank that I LOVE!  It looks light yellow/white.  When I move, I'm pretty sure I'm going to upgrade this tank to the IM14 and then I can add more gorgonians and go all softie/gorgonian.  No LPS :o.  That's gonna be hard with my love of blastos so strong LOL.  But that's my goal.  I want ultra low maintenance so I can travel and not have to worry about dosing.  Simple is the key :).

• Like 2
26 minutes ago, gena said:

I'll have to look at yours again.  I saw one in @Pjanssen contest tank that I LOVE!  It looks light yellow/white.  When I move, I'm pretty sure I'm going to upgrade this tank to the IM14 and then I can add more gorgonians and go all softie/gorgonian.  No LPS :o.  That's gonna be hard with my love of blastos so strong LOL.  But that's my goal.  I want ultra low maintenance so I can travel and not have to worry about dosing.  Simple is the key :).

Yeah I'm hoping to go heavy on the gorgs in the GSP garden and later a bit larger tank. Macros too! Soft, lush and easy, with just a few stonies, is the look I'm going for.

• Like 1