Innovative Marine Aquariums

Gena's IM Nuvo Fusion 10

gena

10 minutes ago, Lawnman said:

:lol: just started testing the tank tonight. Getting my dosing hand ready for my LPS come back ;) 

Just let me know when you are ready for it!  :D

6 minutes ago, Merthynia said:

Oh this makes me happy! It'd be great to still get to see your coral instead of having to completely get rid of it!

OMG...me too!!!!! :happydance:

• Like 2
9 hours ago, gena said:

No turning back now omgomgomg

Screen Shot 2017-09-05 at 12.24.24 PM

Actually that's not true...I still have my receipt :lol:.  But look at the size of this thing!!!!!  It's way bigger than I expected.  Oh and Walmart sucks.  I got this at Target :D.  My Walmart was out of stock.

This is 2 gallons...and so darn cute.  The 1 gallon was even cuter but I thought I would appreciate the bigger size.  Even though stocked I'm sure it's less than 2 gallons.  I can totally haul this into a hotel room, right????  :lol:

This is so cool! Will you be starting a new thread? I love the picture, it reminds me of the tank selfie @yoshii took for her new tank...which isn't new any more :)

• Like 3
11 hours ago, gena said:

Actually that's not true...I still have my receipt :lol:.  But look at the size of this thing!!!!!  It's way bigger than I expected.  Oh and Walmart sucks.  I got this at Target :D.  My Walmart was out of stock.

This is 2 gallons...and so darn cute.  The 1 gallon was even cuter but I thought I would appreciate the bigger size.  Even though stocked I'm sure it's less than 2 gallons.  I can totally haul this into a hotel room, right????  :lol:

Yayyyyyy!!! I was surprised too about how big it is when I saw them at Walmart.  Wish I had a Target close by lol. Looking forward to see what comes of it (come on pico contest! :D)!

Oh, and it will be wonderful for Lawn to adopt your brain!

• Like 1
8 hours ago, teenyreef said:

This is so cool! Will you be starting a new thread? I love the picture, it reminds me of the tank selfie @yoshii took for her new tank...which isn't new any more :)

For sure, yep, new thread.  I totally know the picture you are talking about :).

7 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Yayyyyyy!!! I was surprised too about how big it is when I saw them at Walmart.  Wish I had a Target close by lol. Looking forward to see what comes of it (come on pico contest! :D)!

Oh, and it will be wonderful for Lawn to adopt your brain!

:happydance:

I walked into my dark icky Walmart and found the aisle.  Poorly stocked shelves, tons of people.  I guess they can't keep up with demand there?  Ridiculous.  They had the 1 gallon containers.  I almost went with that but saw where the 2 gallon containers were supposed to be.  So I left and went to Target right down the street.  Walked in to a beautifully lit, bright airy store with stocked shelves LOL.  Found the aisle and saw 4 beautiful big glass jars sitting there :wub:.  And was shocked how big they actually were LOL.

Yeah, come on Pico contest!!!!!!!!  I hope this jar qualifies.  I don't want to spend a lot on a contest, so if we have to buy a branded aquarium, I most likely won't get involved.  These jars are PERFECT and so cheap.  And fun and exciting and a challenge.  I highly recommend them for a contest :D@Christopher Marks :flower:

• Like 7
37 minutes ago, gena said:

For sure, yep, new thread.  I totally know the picture you are talking about :).

:happydance:

I walked into my dark icky Walmart and found the aisle.  Poorly stocked shelves, tons of people.  I guess they can't keep up with demand there?  Ridiculous.  They had the 1 gallon containers.  I almost went with that but saw where the 2 gallon containers were supposed to be.  So I left and went to Target right down the street.  Walked in to a beautifully lit, bright airy store with stocked shelves LOL.  Found the aisle and saw 4 beautiful big glass jars sitting there :wub:.  And was shocked how big they actually were LOL.

Yeah, come on Pico contest!!!!!!!!  I hope this jar qualifies.  I don't want to spend a lot on a contest, so if we have to buy a branded aquarium, I most likely won't get involved.  These jars are PERFECT and so cheap.  And fun and exciting and a challenge.  I highly recommend them for a contest :D@Christopher Marks :flower:

I agree, a jar like this would be perfect for a contest because it would allow people on tight budgets to participate.  Pair it with a PAR bulb and inexpensive lamp (whether we have to get the same or can have our choice) and you can probably have the whole set up ready to go for well under $100 (those jars are a bit under $12 in my area).  I know I won't have a big budget for it so I am hoping we'll have a budget contest of some kind. :happy:

I remember a contest around the time I started in the hobby where people could buy a 2.5 or 5.5 standard to participate and had a budget limit.  This would be the modern version of that! :D

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

I agree, a jar like this would be perfect for a contest because it would allow people on tight budgets to participate.  Pair it with a PAR bulb and inexpensive lamp (whether we have to get the same or can have our choice) and you can probably have the whole set up ready to go for well under $100 (those jars are a bit under $12 in my area).  I know I won't have a big budget for it so I am hoping we'll have a budget contest of some kind. :happy:

I remember a contest around the time I started in the hobby where people could buy a 2.5 or 5.5 standard to participate and had a budget limit.  This would be the modern version of that! :D

Yes!  The Budget Pico Contest :).  I agree!  With tax I paid $15.28 for mine.  How great is that????  They are thick glass too.  Nicely made.  I haven't removed the plastic for the lid yet just in case I have to return it LOL. 

• Haha 1

I know I have a 1 gallon jar like that in the cabinet above the fridge. Of course I do not have any equipment to go with it. Plus I do not do pictures. I would if you could just take them with your phone and post to NR like you can with face book. 

3 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

I know I have a 1 gallon jar like that in the cabinet above the fridge. Of course I do not have any equipment to go with it. Plus I do not do pictures. I would if you could just take them with your phone and post to NR like you can with face book. 

"The Budget Pico Contest".  Hopefully you can join in.  Hopefully we all can :D.  NR has photo hosting.  You may be able to just download from your phone.  There's a limit per post though, I've discovered.

• Like 3
Thunder Goose

I have that jar! I use it as a reservoir for an ATO. But, yeah, I can see it as a pico... I could put my mangroves in it and...  

Yeah, budget pick contest using these jars! I'm in.

• Like 3
51 minutes ago, Thunder Goose said:

I have that jar! I use it as a reservoir for an ATO. But, yeah, I can see it as a pico... I could put my mangroves in it and...  

Yeah, budget pick contest using these jars! I'm in.

Wouldn't that be sweet???? :happydance:

I think a lot of people would join in for a Budget Pico Contest :lol:.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, gena said:

Wouldn't that be sweet???? :happydance:

I think a lot of people would join in for a Budget Pico Contest :lol:.

I hope to be able to join in. If not, maybe I'll set my little picotope back up to follow along. I seriously love that tiny tank.

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, Merthynia said:

I hope to be able to join in. If not, maybe I'll set my little picotope back up to follow along. I seriously love that tiny tank.

Yeah, I'll be doing this with or without a contest.  I just hope it's "with" :D. I've never done a NR contest before....it's about time LOL.

• Like 1
On 9/5/2017 at 3:30 PM, gena said:

Yeahhhhh!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, gena said:

Yeah, I'll be doing this with or without a contest.  I just hope it's "with" :D. I've never done a NR contest before....it's about time LOL.

Me neither!  It's definitely about time lol.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

A reef jar pico contest is a pretty neat idea! Those 2 gallon jars are pretty widely available I imagine, it's from Target?

Walmart carries them too, the Anchor Hocking brand. Over where cookie jars and such are kept in household goods. :happy:

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

A reef jar pico contest is a pretty neat idea! Those 2 gallon jars are pretty widely available I imagine, it's from Target?

I really like the idea, I think even I could join in that one. I already have a PAR30 bulb and an air pump.

The appeal to me is that it would bring more attention to the possibilities of reef keeping in a bowl for next to nothing. Even a 4 or 5g pico tank is typically much more involved and costly than a bowl, because with a bowl you completely give up on the idea of filtration and just do 100% water changes instead.

With that approach, pretty much every rule of successful reef keeping is made irrelevant, no flow, no skimming, no filtration, no "water turnover", no dosing, no trace elements, and minimal/cheap lighting. I think if we can develop a reliable set of best practices based on successes from people like Brandon and Natalia and Maritza, then a lot more people might take up this hobby. Or even come back to it with the idea that it's a lot less work, money, and stress.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, teenyreef said:

I really like the idea, I think even I could join in that one. I already have a PAR30 bulb and an air pump.

The appeal to me is that it would bring more attention to the possibilities of reef keeping in a bowl for next to nothing. Even a 4 or 5g pico tank is typically much more involved and costly than a bowl, because with a bowl you completely give up on the idea of filtration and just do 100% water changes instead.

With that approach, pretty much every rule of successful reef keeping is made irrelevant, no flow, no skimming, no filtration, no "water turnover", no dosing, no trace elements, and minimal/cheap lighting. I think if we can develop a reliable set of best practices based on successes from people like Brandon and Natalia and Maritza, then a lot more people might take up this hobby. Or even come back to it with the idea that it's a lot less work, money, and stress.

Same, I have a bulb, a pump, yards of airline tubing... :lol: It would also be interesting if we let people experiment to try different things and see the results.

• Like 4
On 9/4/2017 at 2:29 PM, gena said:

I know, right? :lol:

I don't mind moving at all.  I kinda like.

Here's a bunch of FTS's for the new page.  I'm thinking this week I might take my open brain in to the LFS :(.  The clowns live in it which will be upsetting for them.  But they are killing it.  They don't let me feed it.  They always steal the food.  And it is missing a little flesh in two place from being harassed all day long.  I hate to do it but sometimes you just have to rip the band-aid off...it hurts but it's for the best LOL.

Screen Shot 2017-09-04 at 12.11.48 PM

Screen Shot 2017-09-04 at 12.13.18 PM

Screen Shot 2017-09-04 at 12.13.48 PM

Screen Shot 2017-09-04 at 12.13.02 PM

Screen Shot 2017-09-04 at 12.11.06 PM

I love that blasto garden!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
11 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

Yes, sir :).  I think you can get them at many different department stores like Target, Walmart, probably K-mart..stores like that.  And also available online Amazon, etc. 

10 hours ago, teenyreef said:

This!!!  All of this :wub:

I'm really looking forward to trying this out.  I need to go through my reef cabinet and see what all I have on hand.  I already found my air pump.  Just need to find tubing, air stone, a check-valve, and whatever else might come in handy :D.  I know I have all of that stuff...or I did at one time!

3 minutes ago, MortalWombat said:

I love that blasto garden!

Thanks!!!! :)

• Like 4

Look what my husband found for me!!!!  I couldn't remember if I saved these or not....and I DID!  I'm going to have fun constructing a rockscape for my pico jar today :happydance:.  This is leftover Carib-Sea real reef rock.  I was going to look for some at RAP..now I don't have to :happy:.

59b2b6ef82c8b_ScreenShot2017-09-08at8_25_17AM.thumb.png.5964d8e233e1c2590702ffcefc9f8cf6.png

• Like 7
41 minutes ago, gena said:

Look what my husband found for me!!!!  I couldn't remember if I saved these or not....and I DID!  I'm going to have fun constructing a rockscape for my pico jar today :happydance:.  This is leftover Carib-Sea real reef rock.  I was going to look for some at RAP..now I don't have to :happy:.

59b2b6ef82c8b_ScreenShot2017-09-08at8_25_17AM.thumb.png.5964d8e233e1c2590702ffcefc9f8cf6.png

I LOVE constructing new scapes! I need to dig out some of mine and do the same! :lol:

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Merthynia said:

I LOVE constructing new scapes! I need to dig out some of mine and do the same! :lol:

I can't even express to you how excited I am to work on this today LOL.  I need to go get some epoxy.  Guess I'll be making a LFS run :happydance:.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1