Top Shelf Aquatics

Gena's IM Nuvo Fusion 10

gena

Established 6-7-17

Thanks for checking out my tank thread :flower:

This is the Innovative Marine Nuvo Fusion 10 gallon aquarium.  My previous tank (IM Drop-off) sprung a leak and I was forced to start something new.  Instead of going larger, I went smaller.  Well, I initially went larger, to the 25 gallon Lagoon but decided I hated it.  It was too big.  So I downsized quite a bit, and now I'm quite thrilled with it.  I was able to transfer almost everything into this new 10 gallon tank.  No small feat, when coming from a 20 gallon aquarium.  Needless to say, I had to do some fragging of colonies. 

So far I'm running this stock with the only addition being an mp10 that I already owned.  Lighting is an AI Prime.  I was able to use my original DIY stand that was used for the Drop-off tank.

Inhabitants:

Fish:

2 Ocellaris clown fish

1 Pink streaked wrasse

1 Green clown goby

Corals:

LPS and Softies

Inverts:

1 Pompom crab

593a01ec99f85_ScreenShot2017-06-08at7_02_21PM.thumb.png.b72d5d321fc7fd1ede74c596c3cb0ea4.png

• Like 22

Woohoo!  Along for the ride!

And re: your earlier comment, yeah I saw some blastos that looked like your black hearts, a nice colony for like $300! :blink: Nope, sorry, no can do!  I also got a white kenya tree frag and toadstool and maze brain.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Woohoo!  Along for the ride!

And re: your earlier comment, yeah I saw some blastos that looked like your black hearts, a nice colony for like $300! :blink: Nope, sorry, no can do!  I also got a white kenya tree frag and toadstool and maze brain.

Yay :happydance:

Dang...pricey!  I got mine from Zia reefer, here on NR.  I'm sure he paid a decent amount for them, but gave me a great deal! 

Sounds like you got some other nice pieces :).  Have you updated your thread yet?  I didn't see it earlier.

3 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

looks great already!  i am glad you kept the wellso.  mine is a little bleached right now for some reason.  i remember you had a similar issue before with yours?  

Oh yeah, gonna keep that as long as I can.  It's been with me at least 6 years now.  Yep, it had bleaching issues.  I'm gonna keep a close eye on it with this new tank too.  It has trouble adjusting to lighting, I think.  When it had the problem before, I moved it to the very side of the tank to get the lowest par possible.  I can't really do that with this tank.

As I was trying to figure out how to edit my signature, I was clicking on my previous tank threads, and realized I've had my clowns since 2012.  Hard to believe I've had them 5 years now.  I remember when they were "babies" and I was so worried they were going to get eaten by the maxi-minis in my macro tank.  I moved them out of there as quickly as I could to a safer tank :).

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, gena said:

Yay :happydance:

Dang...pricey!  I got mine from Zia reefer, here on NR.  I'm sure he paid a decent amount for them, but gave me a great deal! 

Sounds like you got some other nice pieces :).  Have you updated your thread yet?  I didn't see it earlier.

Oh yeah, gonna keep that as long as I can.  It's been with me at least 6 years now.  Yep, it had bleaching issues.  I'm gonna keep a close eye on it with this new tank too.  It has trouble adjusting to lighting, I think.  When it had the problem before, I moved it to the very side of the tank to get the lowest par possible.  I can't really do that with this tank.

As I was trying to figure out how to edit my signature, I was clicking on my previous tank threads, and realized I've had my clowns since 2012.  Hard to believe I've had them 5 years now.  I remember when they were "babies" and I was so worried they were going to get eaten by the maxi-minis in my macro tank.  I moved them out of there as quickly as I could to a safer tank :).

I haven't...need to upload pictures and with orientation every day I've been wiped out.  I keep snapping pics but not doing anything with them lol.  Hopefully this weekend.

• Like 2

Very nice gena, (as of course I knew it would be)!  Never say never however about no more tank swaps.  We lady reefers are always changing things, (its our perogative LOL).

• Like 6
On 6/8/2017 at 9:28 PM, jstuver said:

Love this so much!

Thank you, Jackie!!!!

On 6/9/2017 at 3:45 AM, vlangel said:

Very nice gena, (as of course I knew it would be)!  Never say never however about no more tank swaps.  We lady reefers are always changing things, (its our perogative LOL).

Thanks, Dawn :).  I know...never say never.  But hopefully it will be a while.  I really like this size a LOT.

On 6/9/2017 at 5:58 AM, kimberbee said:

Looks beautiful!

Thank you, Kate ;):lol:.

On 6/9/2017 at 7:24 AM, jack1978 said:

omgomgomg

Beautiful as always!

Definitely looks like G.

Awww....thanks :happy:

16 hours ago, markalot said:

Fantastic.  Looks full ... Time for a new tank. :D

Hahaha...yeah, for sure ;).

I traded in one more coral yesterday omgomgomg.  My green plate coral.  Little disappointed I couldn't keep it.  It was right next to the open brain coral (only location for it) and the clowns, who hate sand, kept sweeping the sand right onto the plate.  Sand is a death sentence for plate corals (past experience), so I got proactive, and traded it in for some rainbow palys.  And then I got some green zoanthids to make up for that lost green.  I like to balance my colors in the tank, if I can :).

• Like 5

Sorry to hear on the plate, I love plate corals but yeah in my experience sand on them is a no no! Is your light the regular version of the prime or the HD version? I had the regular prime and didn't like it too blue for me and I never could get the right mix of colors however I am wondering if I had an early version because several people locally have suggested if I don't like my radion XR15 to try the Prime HD...

• Like 1

Bummer that you had to get rid of the plate but definitely better than watching it die from sand!  Looking forward to pics of the new stuffs!

I got some stuff from Legendary Corals and am excited to see it next week!  They have some pearlberry blastos in their summer sale that look like the purple ones you got (also much cheaper than the WYSIWYG pearlberry blastos I bought before the sale... :rolleyes:).

• Like 1

Your facebook comments earlier inspired me to pop in on NR and check out your latest tank.  I think I'm mostly caught up on the saga :lol:  I'm sorry to see the awesome drop-off tank go, but sounded like there were way too many headaches with those tanks.  This tank is looking very old-school Gena to me.  Very you!  Glad to see it came together so well.  Also, your house renovations turned out beautifully!  I love the modern/vintage balance of the bathroom details.  Spot on for your home and style!

• Like 3
On 6/10/2017 at 1:49 PM, jstuver said:

Sorry to hear on the plate, I love plate corals but yeah in my experience sand on them is a no no! Is your light the regular version of the prime or the HD version? I had the regular prime and didn't like it too blue for me and I never could get the right mix of colors however I am wondering if I had an early version because several people locally have suggested if I don't like my radion XR15 to try the Prime HD...

I have the HD.  I don't know what the difference is between them, but I can adjust all the colors.  It's nice!

On 6/10/2017 at 4:47 PM, Lula_Mae said:

Bummer that you had to get rid of the plate but definitely better than watching it die from sand!  Looking forward to pics of the new stuffs!

I got some stuff from Legendary Corals and am excited to see it next week!  They have some pearlberry blastos in their summer sale that look like the purple ones you got (also much cheaper than the WYSIWYG pearlberry blastos I bought before the sale... :rolleyes:).

Oh the pearlberry blastos are really nice!  I just went and checked them out.  They look a little frilly!  I ended up trading in that clump of purple blastos.

14 hours ago, JR! said:

what a beautiful tank. 

Thank you!

14 hours ago, GregEmmitte said:

I like your tanks. It's funny seeing people here that I already followed on IG

Haha...thanks!

10 hours ago, Felicia said:

Your facebook comments earlier inspired me to pop in on NR and check out your latest tank.  I think I'm mostly caught up on the saga :lol:  I'm sorry to see the awesome drop-off tank go, but sounded like there were way too many headaches with those tanks.  This tank is looking very old-school Gena to me.  Very you!  Glad to see it came together so well.  Also, your house renovations turned out beautifully!  I love the modern/vintage balance of the bathroom details.  Spot on for your home and style!

Yay :happydance:.  Haven't seen your name around here in a while!  And thank you!!!!!  Things are finally settling down now.  My house is settled, the tank is settled.  I sold the Lagoon yesterday to an NR member.  I hope he starts a thread for it :).   

I just have to figure out what to do with the drop off.  I put it on Craigslist.  I hate to throw it away since it could still be really cool for something like a vivarium/terrarium. 

Nano sapiens

Sorry to hear about the drop-off tank, but quite frankly the first time that I saw one of these the alarm bells went off due to concerns of providing perfect, even support for two separate bottom surfaces.

This new tank looks great!  These little 10-14g size tanks are relatively easy to maintain and lighter on the wallet.

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, Nano sapiens said:

Sorry to hear about the drop-off tank, but quite frankly the first time that I saw one of these the alarm bells went off due to concerns of providing perfect, even support for two separate bottom surfaces.

This new tank looks great!  These little 10-14g size tanks are relatively easy to maintain and lighter on the wallet.

Yeah, too bad cuz they are cool looking.  Think the glass ones will have issues too?

Thanks!  Yep, agreed :).

Nano sapiens
26 minutes ago, gena said:

Yeah, too bad cuz they are cool looking.  Think the glass ones will have issues too?

From an engineering perspective, it's the same challenge no matter what material/adhesive is used (although adhesives with a bit of flexibility, like silicone, *should* tend to do better IMO).  The stand is critical in that the two load bearing bottom surfaces need equal support so that the tank doesn't have unequal stresses applied to it.  Getting it right when manufacturing is of course important, but equally so is ensuring the load baring remains equal over the lifetime of the aquarium.

• Like 1
Just now, Nano sapiens said:

From an engineering perspective, it's the same challenge no matter what material/adhesive is used (although adhesives with a bit of flexibility, like silicone, *should* tend to do better IMO).  The stand is critical in that the two load bearing bottom surfaces need equal support so that the tank doesn't have unequal stresses applied to it.  Getting it right when manufacturing is of course important, but equally so is ensuring the load remains equal over the lifetime of the aquarium.

Interesting, thanks for the explanation!  I think I would avoid anything like that in the future.  With a small tank, not a big deal.  But when you're talking gallons and gallons, I wouldn't want the stress of worrying about a possible catastrophe.  Hopefully with the new glass tanks, there won't be any issues :).

• Like 1

Yeah, the pearlberries do look kinda frilly! Plus they are purple ! I wondered if you'd had room for the purple blastos.  My order is on its way from Cali! omgomgomg

Maybe the reason the dropoffs have had issues is because IM got the pump manufacturer to make the dropoff bottoms... :unsure::lol:

• Like 1
On 6/12/2017 at 7:27 PM, Lula_Mae said:

Yeah, the pearlberries do look kinda frilly! Plus they are purple ! I wondered if you'd had room for the purple blastos.  My order is on its way from Cali! omgomgomg

Maybe the reason the dropoffs have had issues is because IM got the pump manufacturer to make the dropoff bottoms... :unsure::lol:

:lol: perhaps! 

I made a little video yesterday of my tank. 

• Like 8