Cultivated Reef

Dried out live rocks???

dottybackss

It's up to you. Are you willing to cure them in a bucket for a couple months? I guess it depends on what you plan to use them for?

• Like 1

It depends. Where are you buying them from, a store or someone selling them.

Also what are your plans for their use?

They will need cleaning and curing.

Myself personally, I'd either buy liverock or dry reef rock.

FiveGallonSea

I fell into this situation without wanting to and just spent a couple weeks completely cleaning them off before starting my new tank. Guess it's not a big a deal as I thought it was going to be.

Some "dried" rock actually doesn't not need a long time to cure - its actually taken from inland.  Check out reefcleaners for some good quick cycling dried rock.

• Like 1

The ones I bought where really white and they made my water really cloudy and when I put one of my powerheads on them a lot particles like dust comes out of them. They are still really white, I started dosing purple up to see if it helps.

40 minutes ago, Negrala said:

The ones I bought where really white and they made my water really cloudy and when I put one of my powerheads on them a lot particles like dust comes out of them. They are still really white, I started dosing purple up to see if it helps.

Well, you should really rinse any dry rock before adding it...  And coralline will grow naturally as long as you have a starter (frag with coralline on the plug or a small piece of corraline coveted rock)  I didnt find any purple up or brightwell's version to be beneficial.  It just takes time.

• Like 1

Agree. 

Rinsing dry rock is important, theres a lot of dust on them.

There is a difference between dry reef rock and dried out liverock

Coralline needs to be introduced into the tank for it to spread. Additives won't help.

• Like 2
On 6/13/2017 at 9:52 AM, Negrala said:

On 6/13/2017 at 10:35 AM, lkoechle said:

Well, you should really rinse any dry rock before adding it...  And coralline will grow naturally as long as you have a starter (frag with coralline on the plug or a small piece of corraline coveted rock)  I didnt find any purple up or brightwell's version to be beneficial.  It just takes time.

31 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Agree. 

Rinsing dry rock is important, theres a lot of dust on them.

There is a difference between dry reef rock and dried out liverock

Coralline needs to be introduced into the tank for it to spread. Additives won't help.

PurpleUp is just a calcium supplement. 

Is your rock dried out live rock or dry reef rock. Theres a difference.

I personally use all liverock or partial liverock and dry rock. 

I never use any of the additives unless its to dose my parameters.

Without coralline in the tank, I don't see any benefit to it.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Is your rock dried out live rock or dry reef rock. Theres a difference.

I personally use all liverock or partial liverock and dry rock. 

I never use any of the additives unless its to dose my parameters.

Without coralline in the tank, I don't see any benefit to it.

It's dry reef rock. something like this

Image result for dry reef rock

This is my tank

IMG_4961.thumb.JPG.622c47d87afef3360db244b6cedd2ced.JPG

2 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Did you cycle the tank before adding the fish?

This ^^

6 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Without coralline in the tank, I don't see any benefit to it

6 hours ago, Negrala said:

Ok so what you guys recommend is adding some live rock with my dried rock and stop purple up?

There's no need for purple up, so yes.  And if you want corraline, then you'll need to seed it somehow by either adding a piece of liverock (real lr, not purple painted lr, so make sure the corraline is real) or some other means (my current tank has no LR, but I got some corraline scrapings from another reefer and my new coral frags has corraline on them, its slower going, but its going).  It won't just show up on its own with dry rock.

• Like 1
dottybackss

I think I am not going to buy those dried live rocks since it required a lot of cleaning and curing works. I just gonna buy someone's rock that is still running in the tank. Second hand rocks!

On 6/15/2017 at 1:24 PM, Negrala said:

It's dry reef rock. something like this

Image result for dry reef rock

This is my tank

IMG_4961.thumb.JPG.622c47d87afef3360db244b6cedd2ced.JPG

Yes I did. I added the fish at the 3rd week or something like that. I went to a fish store and bought 15Lb of live rock let's see how it goes.

There may be a "mini cycle" when adding liverock.

When you started with dry rock, you had to dose ammonia and bacteria to cycle it before adding livestock.

Are you testing ammonia?

2 hours ago, Clown79 said:

There may be a "mini cycle" when adding liverock.

When you started with dry rock, you had to dose ammonia and bacteria to cycle it before adding livestock.

Are you testing ammonia?

Yes all my parameters are at 0, I had an algae bloom the week I added the fish now its completely gone the tank has been running for almost 2 months now without problems.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

@Negrala Coraline algae takes time and stable parameters. It also needs proper lighting. So if you introduce some to your tank and can give it all of that, it will spread eventually but I have found it takes several months minimum before it starts to really show up in new places.