Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Guesses what's happening?

holy carp

On Sunday (6/4), before my planned water change, I noticed 2 small spots on the cyphastrea where the skeleton was exposed.  This also has happened in the past when bits of various things land on it.  Like when the porcelain crab was settling in, it lived under the elegance and would occasionally mistake the tip of a tentacle for food, pull it off, and let it drift.  However, it wasn't happening much recently since that crab has found his place with all the other residents and made a new home under the setosa. The last time I recall a spot on the cyphastrea was at the beginning of April.

In any case, the holes looked a little worse on Monday after the water change, which was surprising - they would usually be healed in 48 hours or less.  

Then this morning they looked like this.

28ilssk.jpg

The two spots lower left were where the original spots were on Sunday, but they were only the size of a polyp or smaller to start.  Now the green skin has browned out and is pulling away in other spots as well.

Even the section on the wall where no particles land has similar problems:

hwkhg7.jpg

And the green skin here has lost color as well.

So Sunday's 25% water change didn't start this, but it doesn't seem to have helped at all either.  

Parameters:

salinity 1.026

Alk 8.0 dKH

Ca 340

Mg 1360

pH stays within 8.2 and 8.4 daily

temp stays between 78.5 and 79.5 

nitrate 0

phosphate 0.06

I know calcium is a little on the low side, but it has been stable between 325 and 350 since January, so no notable swing.

phosphates are higher than I try to target, but have been consistent at that level for at least a week or two before starting fluco.

Other background, I started fluconazole 5/17, removed carbon and polyfilters, kept skimmer, filter sock, and phosguard.  6/4 was first water change since then.

I haven't added carbon back yet, and skimmate has been greener than typical since starting the fluco, possibly related to the absence of carbon.

A small birdsnest frag also lost its skin over the last week.  I don't suspect these are caused by fluconazole, but could be exacerbated by the removal of carbon and polyfilter coupled with skipping water changes. 

Apart from replacing the carbon and resuming my typical weekly (25%) water changes, I'm not sure if there's anything else to try, but I'm open to ideas.

3 minutes ago, Mariaface said:

Maybe dose nitrates? I'm decently sure lack of nitrates is how I began killing everything I own :) 

Interesting thought, but I've never had testable >0 nitrates (Red Sea kit) in the last 103 weeks...

What do you use to dose them?

10 minutes ago, holy carp said:

Interesting thought, but I've never had testable >0 nitrates (Red Sea kit) in the last 103 weeks...

What do you use to dose them?

i feed with a shovel. and reefplus.

• Like 2

I'm really liking this 'feed with a shovel' approach people keep talking about; I just can't seem to keep it up..

I'm adding several drops of NeoNitro (Brightwell) whenever I remember to. Which, now that I think about it, it's been a few days and the skin on the ironman started receding again..

• 4 weeks later...

Ultimately, VB I don't know what caused this. The flesh has since completely healed, but the color of the coral remains browned out.

On 6/7/2017 at 0:18 PM, Mariaface said:

Maybe dose nitrates? I'm decently sure lack of nitrates is how I began killing everything I own :) 

I think there is something to this. 

I also think that this is one of the main causes of some difficulties I had when I was Reefing a few years back. 

I fed waaaaaaay too lightly. 

I currently utilize @lkoechle's approach, I feed heavily and dose Reef Plus. 

However, it bears mentioning that this is in a Macroalgae dominant tank and they actually need extra nutrients and will suck them up. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

However, it bears mentioning that this is in a Macroalgae dominant tank and they actually need extra nutrients and will suck them up. 

Ugh, you just reminded me its WC day and I was suppose to test to see if I really need to do a WC (macro algae growth has slowed dramatically).  I don't want to do anything today.  It's been crazy today. This is the first time my butt's hit a chair since 7.  Maybe tomorrow. lol

2 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

Ugh, you just reminded me its WC day and I was suppose to test to see if I really need to do a WC (macro algae growth has slowed dramatically).  I don't want to do anything today.  It's been crazy today. This is the first time my butt's hit a chair since 7.  Maybe tomorrow. lol

Wait til tomorrow, it'll be fine, srsly. 

• Like 1