Pod Your Reef

Matrix , Marine Pure or Nitryx?  Best media for canister?

HighlyCaffeinated

HighlyCaffeinated

Hi all.

Firstly I know canisters aren't well regarded in reefing (with good reason), but I'm trying to keep my 46L Fluval Edge looking clean and couldn't fit the light I wanted under the hood with the Aquaclear 20 in place.

I'm thinking if I fill the bottom two trays with some good denitrifying media and the top with just enough mechanical to keep the impeller in one piece (and maybe a some carbon or other chemical if needed) it shouldn't become too much of a nitrate factory.

So, onto my question... What do you all think is the best media to encourage anaerobic bacteria to grow in a canister? Matrix was all the rage back when I last kept fish and Marine Pure has a good name now, but one LFS nearby is spruiking exxodus•nitryx by Continuum. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with nitryx and/or has an opinion on what the best option would be?

Thanks in advance.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
HighlyCaffeinated
On 13/07/2017 at 10:08 AM, EndlessXPs said:

I use Chemipure Elite with Purogen in my FOWLR and it keeps my tank nice and clean. 

Cheers,

I ended up going with a tray of Marinepure balls in the canister. I have also shaved about 2mm off the impeller to try to slow the movement across the balls down in an effort to increase anaerobic zones. I'm probably wasting my time, but figure it's worth a go.

2 minutes ago, HighlyCaffeinated said:

Cheers,

I ended up going with a tray of Marinepure balls in the canister. I have also shaved about 2mm off the impeller to try to slow the movement across the balls down in an effort to increase anaerobic zones. I'm probably wasting my time, but figure it's worth a go.

I'm sure with dedication you can keep it clean enough but why bother?  I could see using it to polish the water on occasion but not sure all the effort is worth it. 

HighlyCaffeinated
On 30/08/2017 at 5:34 AM, WV Reefer said:

I'm sure with dedication you can keep it clean enough but why bother?  I could see using it to polish the water on occasion but not sure all the effort is worth it. 

It's probably just too much time spent with freshwater tanks, but figure I'll need some sort of added filtration - I wouldn't have thought I had enough rock to successfully use the Berlin method?

At the moment with weekly water changes and rinsing mechanical filter media monthly my nitrate sits < 5 ppm. I'm not confident that removing the filter would improve this at all?