SaltCritters.com

Small Tank, Huge Sump

kinetic

I want to put a Red Sea Reefer 170 in my home, but I am thinking of putting a really gigantic sump somewhere else. My old house used to have a basement sump. It was really great, since my tank in the living room was completely silent.

This thread is more about what kind of animals would be happy in a smaller tank, (34G), with a much larger overall water volume (200g?)

The sump would probably just be a crappy looking tub. I'll plumb it through the floor, out the crawlspace, and probably into a protected area right outside my back door. The sump will probably be covered by a box to brave the (mild California) elements. Noise wouldn't really be that big of a deal, so a nice large return pump, and a beefy skimmer would do the job.

The tank itself would have minimal rockwork, maybe just one small piece, leaving the sump to take on the grunt of the live rock.

A couple ideas:

1. Anemone + a group of ocellaris (like 5 babies)

2. Radiata Lionfish? (low flow, badass fish. this is the fish that got me into the hobby back in 2005)

3. No fish, just one beautiful branching SPS (on the tiny piece of rock). Probably wouldn't need the gigantic sump though.